Favourite flawed EA NHL logic

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
When a player gets a game misconduct, why does the Ref not say anything? I can automatically tell when he is just there Frozen.

The player doesn't even enter the box. They just stand outside the penalty box looking like a dumbass - and then the game will instantly cut to them walking down the tunnel. Shouldn't that be done automatically?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I love it took 6 years for EA to figure out Bryan Rust wasn't a center nor played center at any level of organized hockey, he was a RW for the US Development Team, drafted as a RW, a RW with the Fighting Irish, a RW for the Baby Pens, played both wings for the NHL Pens(mostly RW but some LW here and there). How they got center out of that is beyond me.
One of these years they will put Mikael Granlund on wing too. And have both his face and name in the game. It differs year to year if they have his play-by-play name or his face.

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
What is this logic

Attachments

• Attach36016_20201114_010104.jpg
    Attach36016_20201114_010104.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20201115_035530.jpg
    20201115_035530.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20201115_035544.jpg
    20201115_035544.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: bigtim1988

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
My old favorite logic was from the last couple games where right when I started a franchise I would trade a fairly expensive defenseman to Tampa Bay for like a 2nd or 3rd to tie up what little cap space they had left and then come free agency offersheet either Point or Sergachev to a 1-year $3 mil deal that Tampa cannot match (thanks to that defenseman's salary) and I give TBL the compensation which is usually my teams pick from the same round I got from them for the defenseman. So basically getting Point or Sergachev for like a 2nd round pick.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So I mentioned this bug back in September:

Found a new random bug/glitch(?). I typically simulate most of the games, only actually playing a few (season opener, Xmas, New Years, etc.)

So the game thinks my goalie is on a 3-game shutout streak currently, even though he was on a five-game losing streak. The only three games that were shutouts we’re the ones that I played. The game makes no sense.

I noticed that this 'bug' still happens. For the last month of the regular season I decided to play out a handful of games, and my goalie had 'managed' a 12- game shutout streak. Did he win the Vezina or the Jennings? Nope, lol. :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:(:mad:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I hate how chemistry works in this game, it should be organic or at least given a chance to grow. If a line initially doesn’t have chemistry but you keep them together and they have some success that should build chemistry. Some of the best lines in hockey don’t follow the powerforward, playmaker and sniper combination (I haven’t bought NHL21, so don’t know if this has changed).

The logic that a teams chemistry is based on your coach is stupid, it might play a role, but more often than not it’s chemistry between players rather than how well they fit into a coaches system

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Decided to fire up NHL 21 for the first time in a while, and started a franchise mode with Boston. I did all the work to set up the scouting (which seriously needs adjusting... it takes way too long) and then went into look at my lines.... Pastarnak, Bergeron & Marchand have a -3 chemistry lol

I fired my coaching staff and got people who were a better team fit, and also had strong chemistry with those players, and nothing changed. So, I swiftly quit without saving, closed the application and watched netflix.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
When the opposing team has their goalie pulled and your player has a 0% shot of hitting the empty net until they cross the blue line and enter the offensive zone. Otherwise it's simply a dump to get an icing.

Can easily aim a saucer pass in from your own zone

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Loaded up NHL Legacy Edition for the 360 the other day and had a much better time with a Be a GM/Franchise Mode save vs a newer one today.

Side note, Patrik Laine was listed as Swedish :laugh:

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I just wish generated players had more realistic names and consistant skill sets.

i drafted a defensive d third overall and he had all decent skills except his speed never went above 72, even tho acceleration and agility were okay and he was an 86 overall.

also, you draft players like tiny stamkos, a goalie from China.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Loaded up NHL Legacy Edition for the 360 the other day and had a much better time with a Be a GM/Franchise Mode save vs a newer one today.
I still play Legacy on PS3, I kept the rosters somewhat actual and created lots of players. (I'd be perfectly fine with an updated version of the game, adding LV & SEA). Really enjoy doing 25 year franchise careers, currently running Minnesota during the 2034/2035 season. Already finished a bunch of those long term projects, still entertains me to this day.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I just wish generated players had more realistic names and consistant skill sets.

i drafted a defensive d third overall and he had all decent skills except his speed never went above 72, even tho acceleration and agility were okay and he was an 86 overall.

also, you draft players like tiny stamkos, a goalie from China.

that will never happen. Your better off playing EHM or FHM to get a proper name regen/newgen experience.

I had a defensive D-man have 5 star skating abilities but a 3-star in defensive abilities. So a Zdeno Chara/Bobby Orr cline? :laugh::eek:

I still play Legacy on PS3, I kept the rosters somewhat actual and created lots of players. (I'd be perfectly fine with an updated version of the game, adding LV & SEA). Really enjoy doing 25 year franchise careers, currently running Minnesota during the 2034/2035 season. Already finished a bunch of those long term projects, still entertains me to this day.

It’s funny. I think I explained it in another thread (or here) before, But I never got to experience playing the NHL series on the 360. I get nostalgic over it because I used to be super into a lot of NHL youtubers that made Be A GM series.

Over the quarantine break my brother and I picked up a near-mint condition 360 with NHL 14 and the Legacy Edition.

I only was able to almost complete one full 25 year run, but I notice player patterns are so quirky as the game goes on deeper in the sim. Before I stopped playing, there was like a four and a half green star Enforcer forward that was 81 overall right out of the draft :laugh:

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
It’s funny. I think I explained it in another thread (or here) before, But I never got to experience playing the NHL series on the 360. I get nostalgic over it because I used to be super into a lot of NHL youtubers that made Be A GM series.

Over the quarantine break my brother and I picked up a near-mint condition 360 with NHL 14 and the Legacy Edition.

I only was able to almost complete one full 25 year run, but I notice player patterns are so quirky as the game goes on deeper in the sim. Before I stopped playing, there was like a four and a half green star Enforcer forward that was 81 overall right out of the draft :laugh:

Legacy was the first EA NHL game I did pick up since '07, so imo a lot changed for the better, even though I was a lot into the modded PC versions back then. (I still miss those modding days of NHL..)

Regarding those mentioned player patterns.. Yeah, it's far from being perfect but when I look at some youtube franchise modes, I realize EA still keeps on dragging bug riddled game mechanics within their newer versions. So if you know how to work around them and avoid getting frustrated it's fun for me. Player development can be a little bit challenging at times during later years into a career but even those can be avoided with solid drafting and FA.
Of course you'd get the anual Top 5/10 player who's basically usless just by looking at his ratings. But those busts happen, the same way as the "hopeful 4th rounder" turns into your 3C selke level moster for 600gp. Although I have to say hidden gems, late bloomers and surprisingly well developing "college signings" are possible, even deeper into the sim.

I wish this game would allow roster sharing and some basic online lobby system like the early NHL games used to have. Would be cool to run some old school online leagues. Ah well.. :wally:

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
When I have a hit lined up beautifully in BAP and my teammate steals it from me. That’s right. Or when I’m trying to get back into position after an offensive chance and my teammates keep skating into me. Or when the opposing team keeps impeding my skating (interference much?).

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Legacy was the first EA NHL game I did pick up since '07, so imo a lot changed for the better, even though I was a lot into the modded PC versions back then. (I still miss those modding days of NHL..)

the 07 version, was that when EA was still using the grading chart to assess prospects? I still have NHL 07 for the PS2 but don’t remember how Dynasty Mode goes. The back and forth gimmicky play always made me turned off by it (one timer goals)

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Nope. NHL 20 actually has a decently challenging trade engine on Hard difficulty. Sometimes it's a bit too much (where you can really offload a lot of high end stuff and still can't nab a pick or something like that) but overall they've made it a lot more realistic. I only play with it on hard though.
I’ve offered up way more value for a first overall because the first overall player was a franchise medium... trade value was still higher on my end they said nope.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure if this has already been mentioned. But when you line up a hit on a guy, truck him and send him sprawling only for his corpse to completely impede your way to the puck and he casually gets up and gathers up the puck as if nothing happened.
Yes. I was thinking of posting this. It's so great how this happens many times a game.

Also when you level a guy, and his body slides along and trips your other player, and then you trip over his still sliding corpse, and the puck is collected by the other team. and no call for tripping.

Reactions: SoundwaveIsCharisma

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Trade deadline day is insane. Working on a deal with one team and it interrupts with another crappy offer, I decline, and the deal I was constructing with the first team is just gone. I tried like 8 times to reconstruct it, getting interrupted and losing it each time, and then the deadline had passed. Wtf??

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I wish this game would allow roster sharing and some basic online lobby system like the early NHL games used to have. Would be cool to run some old school online leagues. Ah well.. :wally:

It's insane how some basic features just "disapeared" over the years.
After all these years I still think that 2k10 (I believe is the right year) was the most realistic hockey game I've played (the most fun being NHL Hitz Pro from 2004).

2k10 had roster sharing, more fun prospect development (that I recall), better trade platform, easier to navigate menus, etc. etc. The gameplay was a little weird at time (ie deking was kinda random), but it was just the begining of using the left joystick to control the player's stick so I can excuse that.

Also, you could control multiple teams in dynasty mode, and the simulation was FAST. It was really easy and fun to set up an evening of 2k10 gaming and do some dynasties with friends and play each other's teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad