OT: Favorite MLB team: Mariners or Blue Jays?

Who is your favorite baseball team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The great thing about being a casual Blue Jays fan is that you can enjoy it when they win but also when they crap the bed in epic fashion as they did today.

Reactions: Bubbles

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
A comeback for the ages for the Mariners! This will go down in their lore along the lines of the 1995 ALDS vs NYY.

For those who watched this series at bars/restaurants, what was the fan split like there between the two teams? Would be curious to hear since these were obviously the 2 biggest games the teams have played against each other.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
TO teams never like to lose quietly. Always has to be a spectical.

Just a horrendous showing and shit managing.

Jays fan but they deserve what they got.

Now go M’s!

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Blue Jays, Jesus. :-/.

I go to the gym, workout, come home, and see the news.

That's just awful.

On a more positive note however, Bray Wyatt returned to the WWE!

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
This is just a series to see who gets the pleasure of being beat up by the Astros.

I don't care if Jays lose the series because they aren't built well enough to take out the Astros or dodgers or braves. Tapia should not be in your game 1 starting lineup and he shouldn't be your best lefty bat.

Probably need to make 4 or 5 moves this winter (yes and spend near luxury tax) to put themselves in a position where they can win the division.

You were right. God damn cheaters.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Fun opening series game with Teoscar with the walkoff against his old club.

Traffic will be a nightmare here this weekend with this series being the same weekend Taylor Swift has 2 concerts right across the street.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a little strange......I follow the Seahawks pretty closely and I believe thousands of other NFL fans in Greater Vancouver do as well.

As for the Mariners and the Kraken, it's meh. Just of couple of other pro sports franchises I really don't have much interest in.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
It's a little strange......I follow the Seahawks pretty closely and I believe thousands of other NFL fans in Greater Vancouver do as well.

As for the Mariners and the Kraken, it's meh. Just of couple of other pro sports franchises I really don't have much interest in.
BC cheering for the Seahawks but also cheering for the Jays over the M's reminds me of something I heard at the game today, a sentiment I hear every once in awhile from a few fans down here in Seattle.

It's that they think any BC Seahawks fan who cheers for the Jays over the M's should renounce their Hawks fanhood. My best guess would be some of this stems from the fact that the Canucks were probably the most popular NHL team in Seattle prior to the Kraken.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Last time I tried to watch baseball I fell asleep.
record-recording.gif

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Some people don’t have the attention span for the game.

As an aside where the hell was Blue Jays management when Aroldis Chapman was available? Heads in the sand.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I was an Expos fan first, a Mariners fan second. I’ve never had any interest in Toronto, despite Sportsnet’s daily attempts at brainwashing and faux patriotism. I don’t hate the Jays, I’m just indifferent to them.

Reactions: Jyrki21

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I was an Expos fan first, a Mariners fan second. I’ve never had any interest in Toronto, despite Sportsnet’s daily attempts at brainwashing and faux patriotism. I don’t hate the Jays, I’m just indifferent to them.
Obviously you weren't in downtown Seattle or at T-Mobile Park this weekend. It was a Jays invasion from Western Canada.

I'm sure it's irritating to the Mariners and their fans, but there isn't a team in the MLB travels as well as the Blue Jays. And it always amazes those new Jays players who are exposed to it for the first time.

It's just too bad the Expos weren't still alive. They might have just as many transplanted fans travel to Seattle for games in the Pacific Northwest.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Obviously you weren't in downtown Seattle or at T-Mobile Park this weekend. It was a Jays invasion from Western Canada.

I'm sure it's irritating to the Mariners and their fans, but there isn't a team in the MLB travels as well as the Blue Jays. And it always amazes those new Jays players who are exposed to it for the first time.

It's just too bad the Expos weren't still alive. They might have just as many transplanted fans travel to Seattle for games in the Pacific Northwest.
In terms of the irritating part for M's fans, I don't think they have much of a problem with Ontario transplants (or Quebec ones if the Expos still existed). Most M's fans I know here are more irked at ones from BC who cheer for the Jays over M's, considering them, for lack of a better term, Cascadian traitors. Hence why there's even a few who would prefer BC Jays fans renouncing their Seahawks fandom.

Reactions: Jyrki21

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

Yeah….no. The Yankees and Red Sox have way more fans on the whole who go to other cites. Likely Cubs and Dodgers as well. Obviously the Jays get a get wicked numbers down to Seattle and good numbers in Detroit - so great they travel well in two other MLB cities.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah….no. The Yankees and Red Sox have way more fans on the whole who go to other cites. Likely Cubs and Dodgers as well. Obviously the Jays get a get wicked numbers down to Seattle and good numbers in Detroit - so great they travel well in two other MLB cities.
I think you can add cities like Tampa and Cleveland to that mix. There's so many Jays fans at Rays games, that sometimes you forget who is the home team. Of course despite having one of the best teams in baseball year after year, the Rays don't draw flies.

As for Cleveland, it's also fairly easy for Jays fans from Ontario to get to.....but whether it's a mirage or not, I seem to see a ton of Jays shirts in the stands at Fenway Park in Boston and at Yankee Stadium.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Buck the Duck has to go. It’s time. His voice is worse than Matt Sekeres’s which is quite something. He screws up players names, talks over Dan Shulman. He tries to dumb the game down a bit too much. Give me John Smoltz, AJ Pierzinski or Al Leiter. He’s a nice old man and has a good perspective on the game. Time to beat it, you’re 75.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Didn't know where to post this, but I guess this thread will do since it's baseball related.

Ohtani - pitched a complete game win earlier today, then 2 home runs to win in the 2nd game (#37 & 38).

So glad I'm alive to see a genuine phenom. Had the same reaction when I was a teen about young Bobby Orr. My family would watch him on HNIC and express how fortunate we were to see this great player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Didn't know where to post this, but I guess this thread will do since it's baseball related.

Ohtani - pitched a complete game win earlier today, then 2 home runs to win in the 2nd game (#37 & 38).

So glad I'm alive to see a genuine phenom. Had the same reaction when I was a teen about young Bobby Orr. My family would watch him on HNIC and express how fortunate we were to see this great player.
In a way, it's too bad that there's no need for pitchers to be able to hit. anymore. Of course in AL, pitchers have given way to the designated hitter. so they never get to the plate anyway.

But a lot of MLB pitchers started out has three-tool players who could hit and throw as position players, before transitioning full-time to mound. So there might be another Ohtani out there, but sadly their hitting skills have long ago atrophied by the time the get to the mound in MLB.

But maybe scouts and managers will re-think this. It has to be a huge advantage to have someone like Ohtani, who can pitch every four days, and launch 40-50 homers as a designated hitter.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Another tight race between both teams for the wild card (and division in the M's case). Though if the Rangers collapse continues both are guaranteed a playoff spot.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
It’s quite a race. I still see Orioles vs Braves in the Series though. Hilarious the Twins will get in with that scabby lineup. That would be my choice for a first round opponent in the AL. Let Tampa and one of the AL West teams beat each other brains in.

Coming up to the best time of year to be a sports fan.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It always amazes how well the Blue Jays and their fans travel. It's one thing for Jays fans to follow the team to Seattle, Oakland or L.A. on West Coast or Detroit, Boston, New York or Cleveland in the East.

But there were a ton of Jays fans in the stands for the games with Colorado Rockies in Denver. I mean Denver isn't t the easiest place to get to from anywhere, must less Canada.

But some Jays fans drove 2,000 miles from the Prairies to get to the games at Coors Field. And also a sprinkling from B.C. and Manitoba. Impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad