OT: Favorite MLB team: Mariners or Blue Jays?

Who is your favorite baseball team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Hey Canucks fans, me again. With the AL wild card race being a tight one going into the final month and 2 of the teams vying for those 3 spots being the Blue Jays and Mariners, I was wondering what the split is among the Canucks community here. I expect the Blue Jays to win, as I live in Seattle and know all about the legions of fans who come down here from BC when the Jays are in town. In terms of anecdotes, I've heard similar things from BC residents about teams they like better. Jays fans reasoning tends to be them being the lone team in Canada, more accessible on TV, and a more successful franchise over the years. M's fans reasoning tends to be they are by far the closest team, BC being more culturally like Seattle than Toronto, and disdain for Toronto. Overall I've heard Vancouver and BC are solidly Jays territory with a visible minority of M's fans.

For all you Canuck fans who watch baseball, who do you cheer for and why? I'll leave a 3rd option for other, in which case you can specify.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I was interested at the end of last season for a week then found out how goofy the playoff format is

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Hey Canucks fans, me again. With the AL wild card race being a tight one going into the final month and 2 of the teams vying for those 3 spots being the Blue Jays and Mariners, I was wondering what the split is among the Canucks community here. I expect the Blue Jays to win, as I live in Seattle and know all about the legions of fans who come down here from BC when the Jays are in town. In terms of anecdotes, I've heard similar things from BC residents about teams they like better. Jays fans reasoning tends to be them being the lone team in Canada, more accessible on TV, and a more successful franchise over the years. M's fans reasoning tends to be they are by far the closest team, BC being more culturally like Seattle than Toronto, and disdain for Toronto. Overall I've heard Vancouver and BC are solidly Jays territory with a visible minority of M's fans.

For all you Canuck fans who watch baseball, who do you cheer for and why? I'll leave a 3rd option for other, in which case you can specify.

Blue Jays.

Been a fan since the late 80’s, got to experience back to back World Series titles in the early 90’s

Reactions: Kreator

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I’ve been a Mariners fan since day one, and still am. I don’t hate the Jays, but can’t get excited about a team that far away. Some can, and that’s fine.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Expos.

Then maybe the Mariners but I'm hardly a big fan of MLB anymore.

Strongly resent any suggestion that the Blue Jays are "Canada's baseball team." That franchise could wither and die for all I care. It's highly unfortunate that SN's summer-time programming is 95% BJ's games, BJ's highlight packages, or talk shows about the BJs

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Jays. No question.

But I’m an 80’s kid and the late 80’s early 90’s was all about the Jays.

Not old enough for when the Expos were good (except the 94 team which probably wins the WS).

But I have a soft spot for Jr, Edgar, Randy and the boys in the 90’s.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i grew up watching ichiro, king felix broadcasts on sportsnet

they failed to convert me to a blue jays fan when they removed the mariners

i just don't have the time to follow the sport d2d, but i'll make the trip once a year or so down to catch a game and if they make the playoffs, i'll watch everything then

Reactions: Bubbles

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't watch baseball I watch good sports... but if I did Seattle.

When I watched baseball I do remember and liked watching both the Jays run in 92 and 93, and then KGJ was great fun. But now... I just don't want more Toronto sports on my TV.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I go down almost every year for the Jays/Mariners series, just as an excuse to go to Seattle and have fun in another city. I'm decked out in Jays gear but I literally forget about them the minute I get home.

I follow soccer and football more so I just don't have enough time to watch on TV or even keep up.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Interestingly, both teams were added during the 1977 AL expansion, so neither got a head start on the BC market. It's not like Windsor and the surrounding area of SW Ontario, where the Tigers were popular for decades before the Jays were even a franchise.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Interestingly, both teams were added during the 1977 AL expansion, so neither got a head start on the BC market. It's not like Windsor and the surrounding area of SW Ontario, where the Tigers were popular for decades before the Jays were even a franchise.

A lot of Jays fans back then remember the championship years, it took them 22 years to reach the playoffs again.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I'm a Jay's guy but I follow the Mariners as well. I think it'd be closer to 50/50 if the Mariners weren't a factory of sadness. T-Moble is a gorgeous park though.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I follow the Jays...
But I really did not have a reason.
I always liked baseball...
And because Jays games used to be on CBC...
And there is a broadcast blackout for the longest time...
So after a while...
It was just a natural progression to fan status.
Then Halladay became a workhorse ace...
And he kept me on board during the dark years.

I watched a fair bit of Mariners games during the 116 wins season...
But I never got on the bandwagon.
I like Ichiro...
But he did not get me like Halladay did.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'm a Jay's guy but I follow the Mariners as well. I think it'd be closer to 50/50 if the Mariners weren't a factory of sadness. T-Moble is a gorgeous park though.
I love t-mobile and I love Seattle for bringing me teams i couldn’t get normally in person in both football and baseball. I see how the mariners are pretty likeable these days but the Seahawks can go pound sand down a rathole. I can’t stand anything about them since skeletor took over.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Anyway. My dad got me into baseball I guess just by him watching it. My first memories are the 1991 season when Toronto got clobbered by the twins in the ALCS.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
^

I wish I had the chance to love the expos too

World Series yanked away then they faded away till relocation

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Expos had an even stronger team later but the lockout destroyed that momentum (players dealt/left in subsequent years - about the 2nd lowest payroll in the league would do that). One year following the Canucks 1994 Finals..:(
Oh that’s the one I meant. I started watching baseball in 91 so it was a pretty eventful first four years with a Canadian team being in ALCS, then winning two World Series, then another Canadian team being the best team in baseball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad