Favorite 1st round pick

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Virtanen. I really like the Owen Nolan comparisons. It's crazy how people have been screaming for us to pick WHL guys for years and then when we finally pick one high people complain.

The thing about our first round prospects is that for the most part they can shoot. Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Jensen, and McCann all have the ability to shoot and that's something this team has severely been lacking.
This times a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even when this team was beasting in 10-11, they still didn't have this. They had a dominant power play and the wizardry of the Sedins that made it so players could pretty much pass it into the net. However, we haven't had players with good shots on this team. Kesler's was alright, but his wrister from the blue line that he shot between defenders' feet got old pretty quickly. Even the Sedins don't get their shots off very quickly. They tend to try and outwait goaltenders and look for the perfect pass. I think it's one of the reasons why this team has trouble scoring in the playoffs. We routinely make backups look like vezina calibre goaltenders. It's nice to have some young prospects with some high-end shots.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I think it's encouraging that we're even having this discussion.
Shift this 2 years and we're talking about

Gaunce
Jensen
Schroeder
and Hodgson/Kassian.

Still don't have that blue-chip 1st line C to replace Hank but I think a) it's not impossible to obtain that by trade or FA b) it's hard to predict the ceiling of some of the prospects we have or will have in the future.

Hopefully we luck out.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Shinkaruk. Loved that pick then, love that pick now. Not even remotely close for me and im a fan of the last 4 firsts we've taken.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think I like Bo Horvat better because I think he can be a 25 goal-30 assist Center who plays against the best night to night.

Same here. I will be shocked if Horvat doesn't turn out to be our 2nd line shutdown C. The kid is a stud and will make the team this year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My personal favorite is Gaunce, but keep in mind that my personal favorite hockey player of all time is Artem Chubarov. :laugh:

I just find the way he plays really interesting to watch. He has good but not great skills in virtually every area, but he kind of floats around watching the play develop, finds the exact right place to go and charges that area. I feel like he's going to be a great specialty player that plays a style of game that is unique relative to most other NHLers.

I personally am the least optimistic about Shinkaruk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad