Favorite 1st round pick

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Shinkaruk. Thought he was the best value pick. Shocked that he wasn't picked higher so I was far happy with his selection where we picked

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Shinkaruk. So much upside for where we got him in the draft. Hopefully his recovery went well. I want to see how he does in his first pro season.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Shink for me.

I would like Horvat more, except for the fact that we traded Schneider straight up for him.

I like the Virtanen pick, but it was far less outstanding than Shinkaruk at #24. Was absolutely hyped when he fell to us.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
Virtanen

Best skater in the draft, forwards and backwards, heavy accurate shot, loves to initiate contact, even when he has the puck himself, and will fight.

The only comparable player that I can even think of is Gary Roberts, unless you want to go down the Gordie Howe or Rocket Richard route. I'm not going to suggest that the kid is going to set any records or have trophies named after him, but what a rare skillset. I can't believe he dropped to us, the players above him probably have better hands, but you don't need quick hands when you have a step and the strength and determination to fight through checks.

I think this kid is going to be a real gem.

Virtanen - Horvat - Kassian

:hit::hit::hit:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Also picking Gaunce. It's a treat to watch him play, such an underrated style in which you can tell that he thinks the game at a high level

To play devil's advocate here...Gaunce often has a very long time to think the game, as it takes him quite a while to get to where he's going and he doesn't play with any real sense of urgency. :dainty:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Jesus, no love for Jensen

I was over the moon when he fell to us in his draft year. Really wanted to vote for him, but i just really like some of the other picks better in Shinkaruk, Virtanen.

He's on par with the McCann pick for me though, in terms of value and how excited i was about the pick. Maybe even higher than Horvat.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
I'll be the first to actually vote for McCann.

Anybody you ask that has watched McCann play, be it a casual fan or a scout, rants and raves about him and his mind for the game. He also has a wicked wrister.

There are strong arguments that the reason his numbers were lower was because he was on a weaker team and didn't have great linemates. There was also a coach that was quoted saying McCannw as the 2nd best defensive forward behind Reinhart (link to this is in McCann's thread on the draft forum of hf).

I think he's going to surprise us in the coming years.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Reinhart isn't the best defensive forward. That would be Bennett.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
poor McCann getting goose egged.

If Horvat wasn't already a very similar player who had progressed very good in his post draft year, then McCann would be getting some love.

I agree with The B3ast, McCann is a great prospect that I'm glad the Canucks picked up.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Bo Horvat for me. I think he's going to be one heck of a hockey player for this franchise for a very long time.

bo2shink*

Not Bashing this choice just curious what you know about him that maybe I don't that makes him worthy of McCann >>> Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen

in your opinion

I wish I took McCann, he has had the least amount of time to disappoint me.

canucks22

Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Horvat! The potential is so huge, but it is with a lot of those guys. Hope all these guys pan out, our depth in a few years could be crazy if they do.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Virtanen. I really like the Owen Nolan comparisons. It's crazy how people have been screaming for us to pick WHL guys for years and then when we finally pick one high people complain.

The thing about our first round prospects is that for the most part they can shoot. Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Jensen, and McCann all have the ability to shoot and that's something this team has severely been lacking.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I like Virtanen because I think he can score 30-35 goals because of his size, shot and speed.

I think I like Bo Horvat better because I think he can be a 25 goal-30 assist Center who plays against the best night to night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad