Confirmed with Link: Faulk & 5th to STL for Edmundson, Bokk, 2021 7th

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
lets see how he does with a full offseason and training camp this year. hes likely gonna be expansion draft bait regardless
Isnt it quite bad business. Give money without knowing what you get. Shame Army didn't learn earlier mistakes like Lehterä and Allen extensions.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Isnt it quite bad business. Give money without knowing what you get. Shame Army didn't learn earlier mistakes like Lehterä and Allen extensions.
The issue with Faulk's contract is we definitely did pay for how he played with the Canes. The Issue was that they didn't take in account that the Canes play a COMPLETELY different system than the Blues, and his game did not transition flawlessly into our system. If he can play the same way he did in the Playoffs over a full season his deal will be fine.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think this was well said by Steve.
if you satisfied with your top powerplay defenceman do not go out and sign who is previous team top powerplay defenseman.

They are talking in this podcast about ofc Barrie acquisition and how it went if, but we could reflect it that same sentence to Army acquiring Faulk and well it happened other players where clearly better fit to powerplay. Pietro, Parayko and Dunn. Faulk left out of cookie.

Then we can name another thing is that did Army knew Pietro is going to walk? 'cus he did say in his press that they acquire Faulk for powerplay and how effective he has been on that part. Army wasn't happy Blues top powerplay defenseman, only that he didn't know Faulk would suck on that part. We had better players on that job.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That Faulk contract keeps getting worse and worse.

This is absolutely not the contract "getting worse."

This actually reduces the total dollars the Blues will wind up paying Faulk, because this year's escrow witholding and the 10% salary deferral means that teams are paying a smaller percentage of salaries this year than they will in the future. If the money was evenly spread, we would be on the hook to pay Faulk more actual dollars. Due to the pandemic, we will pay less dollars to Faulk since the deal is frontloaded.

There are four years of this deal where we pay Faulk less than $6M. The salary is less than $5M for each of the last 3 seasons. Are you going to say that the contract is good then? Of course not, because the cap hit is the same. The high initial salary is exactly what makes this contract moveable at some point. Having to eat a high salary in years 1 and 2 is better for the Blues than just spreading the money evenly among all 7 years.

Finally, that tweet is intentionally misleading. It is top base salaries, which is another way of saying "these are the high paid players who don't get any bonus money." Auston Matthews will make $15.9M next year, but he isn't on this list because $15.2M of it is in bonus money and only $700k is "base salary." Panarin makes $13M, but isn't on this list because $12M is in bonus money. There are 30 NHL players who will make $9M or more next year and all but a handful see a lot of that money due in a lump sum next week. This list is the handful of guys who won't get a lump sum next week.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
This is absolutely not the contract "getting worse."

This actually reduces the total dollars the Blues will wind up paying Faulk, because this year's escrow witholding and the 10% salary deferral means that teams are paying a smaller percentage of salaries this year than they will in the future. If the money was evenly spread, we would be on the hook to pay Faulk more actual dollars. Due to the pandemic, we will pay less dollars to Faulk since the deal is frontloaded.

There are four years of this deal where we pay Faulk less than $6M. The salary is less than $5M for each of the last 3 seasons. Are you going to say that the contract is good then? Of course not, because the cap hit is the same. The high initial salary is exactly what makes this contract moveable at some point. Having to eat a high salary in years 1 and 2 is better for the Blues than just spreading the money evenly among all 7 years.

Finally, that tweet is intentionally misleading. It is top base salaries, which is another way of saying "these are the high paid players who don't get any bonus money." Auston Matthews will make $15.9M next year, but he isn't on this list because $15.2M of it is in bonus money and only $700k is "base salary." Panarin makes $13M, but isn't on this list because $12M is in bonus money. There are 30 NHL players who will make $9M or more next year and all but a handful see a lot of that money due in a lump sum next week. This list is the handful of guys who won't get a lump sum next week.
I feel like you live in a world of stats that just float around your head and you can grab them at beck and call.

Glad you are able to bring that to the forum!

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
It's insane how much the landscape of NHL contracts have changed. Crosby and Ovi signed their 12 and 13 year deals without any bonuses, and now there's guys who are making 75+% of their contracts as bonuses.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Is this the rag on Faulk thread?

o_O
No. This is a thread to critically evaluate the trade and subsequent extension that brought Justin Faulk to St. Louis. Posters have used their own observations, or "eye test", past performances with other teams, input from fans of former teams, career statistics, and advanced statistics, to assess Justin Faulk's play and project on his potential impact on the team going forward. Based on these criteria, some posters have drawn some unfavorable conclusions regarding Justin Faulk, and there is widespread concern as to whether his contributions to the team will be favorable, and to whether his contract will be a hindrance in the future. Sorry if this offends you.

Reactions: Vollie27

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
No. This is a thread to critically evaluate the trade and subsequent extension that brought Justin Faulk to St. Louis. Posters have used their own observations, or "eye test", past performances with other teams, input from fans of former teams, career statistics, and advanced statistics, to assess Justin Faulk's play and project on his potential impact on the team going forward. Based on these criteria, some posters have drawn some unfavorable conclusions regarding Justin Faulk, and there is widespread concern as to whether his contributions to the team will be favorable, and to whether his contract will be a hindrance in the future. Sorry if this offends you.
Who are you?

I'm not offended.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

This is not anything like Lehtera. Faulk is a proven talent, a top 4 defenseman. He’s been an All Star and has played for Team USA. He will excel here now that he has a bigger role on team. Parayko will as well for that matter.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It's insane how much the landscape of NHL contracts have changed. Crosby and Ovi signed their 12 and 13 year deals without any bonuses, and now there's guys who are making 75+% of their contracts as bonuses.
No one asked for huge signing bonuses back then. Or, owners weren't willing to shell out massive dollars for them.

This is not anything like Lehtera. Faulk is a proven talent, a top 4 defenseman. He’s been an All Star and has played for Team USA. He will excel here now that he has a bigger role on team. Parayko will as well for that matter.
Eric Brewer was a proven talent, a top-4 defenseman, an All-Star and had played for Team Canada when we acquired him. Color me unimpressed at that set of credentials as being sufficient to say someone is capable of replacing an elite defenseman.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
No one asked for huge signing bonuses back then. Or, owners weren't willing to shell out massive dollars for them.

Eric Brewer was a proven talent, a top-4 defenseman, an All-Star and had played for Team Canada when we acquired him. Color me unimpressed at that set of credentials as being sufficient to say someone is capable of replacing an elite defenseman.

Coming to St Louis when they tore it apart for a rebuild didn’t help him any either. Faulk is in a complete opposite scenario. I expect him to win some fans this year.

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He will be better, certainly. Excel? Lol, no.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada

I spit my coffee all over my screen as this is the most funniest thing I've read. Faluk will be better no doubt, But excelling, C'mon man.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Coming to St Louis when they tore it apart for a rebuild didn’t help him any either. Faulk is in a complete opposite scenario. I expect him to win some fans this year.
The point remains: saying he's an All-Star who played for Team USA and was a top-4 defenseman elsewhere doesn't mean as much as it once did. The fact that Brewer was, still is, and always will be the poster boy for the Bill Laurie Reign of Terror and toiled here while the team was largely crap doesn't change the fact that a not-so-small part of the fan base f***ing hated him because of who got dealt the other way - and that hatred continued (continues) long after the details of how/why that trade was made were uncovered and reported, no matter how well he might have ever played in a period or game or part of a season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The point remains: saying he's an All-Star who played for Team USA and was a top-4 defenseman elsewhere doesn't mean as much as it once did. The fact that Brewer was, still is, and always will be the poster boy for the Bill Laurie Reign of Terror and toiled here while the team was largely crap doesn't change the fact that a not-so-small part of the fan base f***ing hated him because of who got dealt the other way - and that hatred continued (continues) long after the details of how/why that trade was made were uncovered and reported, no matter how well he might have ever played in a period or game or part of a season.
It was never fair to Brewer to hold Pronger against him. It’s not fair to Faulk or Krug to hold Petro against him. And for “fans” to boo and harass our own players for this is crappy and actively worsens team.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It was never fair to Brewer to hold Pronger against him. It’s not fair to Faulk or Krug to hold Petro against him. And for “fans” to boo and harass our own players for this is crappy and actively worsens team.
I agree, but welcome to 2020 - which, in some ways, has regressed from where we were in 2005.

Reactions: Ranksu

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Individual players should never be singled out for booing. It is not cool. An entire team can be booed off the ice, especially when they stink out the place in an important game, but I hate it when one player gets harassed. In any case, I doubt Faulk gets booed. I think a more likely target will be Binnington, if the Blues perform poorly.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

It happens all too often here. A few fans get a boner for a player and treat him as a whipping boy. They focus solely on this player and critique every move he makes. It’s tiresome. I root and cheer for every players when they are playing here. I can’t think of a player I’ve ever disliked while they’re here.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It happens all too often here. A few fans get a boner for a player and treat him as a whipping boy. They focus solely on this player and critique every move he makes. It’s tiresome. I root and cheer for every players when they are playing here. I can’t think of a player I’ve ever disliked while they’re here.
Jesse Boulerice, who we took back as part of the Weight deal to Carolina in 2006.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad