Confirmed with Link: Faulk & 5th to STL for Edmundson, Bokk, 2021 7th

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Sorry I'm bad at copying tweets. From JR:

Faulk on the ice with the game group. He’s lined up on the left side in a pair with Pietrangelo
If he's as much of a liability on defense as some Carolina fans say, shouldn't he be paired with Parayko who is one of the best shutdown defenseman?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
If he's as much of a liability on defense as some Carolina fans say, shouldn't he be paired with Parayko who is one of the best shutdown defenseman?

I'm guessing they are wanting to stick with Bouwmeester-Parayko as the pair to shut down the other team's top line. Faulk-Pietrangelo should be a fine mix of offense and defense. Just need to hope Faulk can handle the left side.

If he can it gets interesting. Who sits on the bottom pair? Gunnarsson? Or does one of Gunnarsson/Dunn switch to the right side?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm guessing they are wanting to stick with Bouwmeester-Parayko as the pair to shut down the other team's top line. Faulk-Pietrangelo should be a fine mix of offense and defense. Just need to hope Faulk can handle the left side.

If he can it gets interesting. Who sits on the bottom pair? Gunnarsson? Or does one of Gunnarsson/Dunn switch to the right side?
Gunnar can play offside + we can sit Gunnar and play with Dunn and Bortuzzo comes up.

Code:
Faulk - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Gunnar/Dunn - Gunnar/Bortuzzo

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I expect some experimenting to start season. Makes sense to try Faulk with Petro initially but he likely will also spend some time with Gunnar and Parayko and maybe others.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm with you. Losing Maroon and Edmundson changes the character and toughness of the team on the ice.

Concerned that part of the motive was moving Edmundson because of his contract hassles. Don't really see where Faulk fits and certainly don't get the length of the contract.
The reason there were ‘contract hassles’ is because the team didn’t value Edmundson as much as he valued himself. Since it was arbitration eligible, there was never really any pressure on the negotiation to get closer. But the fact that this gap existed has more to do with why they traded him. It was a symptom, not the cause, of the desire to move him.

And frankly, this trade had a hell of a lot more to do with Faulk. There was an opportunity to get a piece they wanted for a bargain price.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Pietrangelo isn’t exactly a liability out there to be fair.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Pietrangelo isn’t exactly a liability out there to be fair.
I could see Faulk and Petro being either awesome together or a mess. If they can read off each other bc they think game at similar high level they would be dynamite. But guy like Gunnar who plays simple game and is where he is "supposed" to be is often best type of partner for D like Petro who is so instinctive and reads plays so well that he is often "out of position". Smart to give them a shot and see how it plays.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Sorry I'm bad at copying tweets. From JR:

Faulk on the ice with the game group. He’s lined up on the left side in a pair with Pietrangelo

I'm gonna like this trade a whole lot better if Faulk can play his off-side with Petro (although I prefer d-men playing their natural side).

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I believe Faulk is automatically our best shooter on defense now. Should help a lot on the powerplay and he's got a great one-timer if he does end up on the left side at 5 on 5. Imagine with the new rule where the offensive team can choose where the faceoff is on icings and after a penalty. On the left side you could have Tarasenko at the top of the circle, on the right you could try to get it back to the right D, then across for a quick one-timer by Faulk.

All depends on how he's utilized, though.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Are there any first-pairing D who play on the offhand side?
Gostisbehere is the only one that comes to mind as far as current players, and I'm not even sure he's considered first pairing any more. JBo played almost exclusively on his offhand side in Calgary (and maybe Florida?) before joining the Blues.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Faulk Petro pairing is a bit confusing sometimes with them being 27 and 72
And confusing to have 2 offensive minded dmen paired together. Petro pinches too much for my tastes, so that would hurt Faulk’s offense.

It’s just the preseason so we’ll see

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
From the numbers, it seems Faulk is at the level, maybe better than Edmundson on the defensive side. I'm not sure if that's because he holds on to the puck longer and makes better passes, but as far as blocks and hits goes, he's pretty much on par. Granted Eddy hasn't ever played a full season, but overall I think Faulk is an upgrade in most facets of the game.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I’m a bit on the fence on the deal & commitment to Faulk. Maybe, because of what it portends, & kinda associated with that, because we are stacked on the right side before this and especially so now.

Trying Petro on the left side is interesting. I guess as often as penalties happen, you can even out the minutes and distribute to RHD as much as possible and get all 3 of these guys work. It would make me feel a lot better, though, if somebody can hang in well on the left side. The optimal solution would be if Petro and Faulk could somehow gel, either way it swings.

I’m glad they are looking at this to start. I hope it works out well.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Edmundson was like a two blade pocket knife. Big guy who wasn’t afraid to mix it up. But limited.

Faulk is like a Swiss Army knife. Multi talented. If you doubt me then look at last night’s pre-season game. He’s under appreciated for his passing game. He can headman the puck without any hesitation. This move solidifies our D. Well done Army!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad