Fastest players with the puck on their sticks

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
5FCABB8E-DB6A-4C5D-816B-92EBA2E98FE8.png

If anyone has the stats for most controlled zone entries that might be a good (not perfect) indicator..

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Have a sample where he goes faster than that? Use the lines as measurement and have them side-by-side.

I have dozens of McDavid samples, none are this fast. Or are you just saying?

This is "fastest skater", not "most agile skater" or "best stickhandler".

That's, 1.55 seconds blue to blue. McDavid's never hit 1.6 in my samples, maybe 1.67.
using a youtube clip to time it is absolutely silly.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Have a sample where he goes faster than that? Use the lines as measurement and have them side-by-side.

That's, 1.55 seconds blue to blue. McDavid's never hit 1.6 in my samples, maybe 1.67.

How fast is this

Satire

Nov 20, 2016

If you're using in-game samples it might not be the most accurate. McDavid generally doesnt fly around at top speed. He usually Carrie's the puck in until the blue line at high speed then kicks it into another gear right around the time he gets to the defender. This is why previously most defenders had trouble with him because they would speed match and his acceleration would totally catch them off guard. It is why you see a lot of defenders either turn around early or just give him a lot of space to enter the zone.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I feel like the fastest is likely McDavid, but with the league getting faster, I'm sure this thread will bring some exposure to players a lot of us never thought of. I know for the Bruins, DeBrusk and our recent call-up Kuhlman have noticeable speed at the NHL level when they turn on the jets. It's refreshing to see because the Bruins haven't really embraced speed in a long long time.

Reactions: Rydan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nylander does not hold a candle to Kapanen.

Kap is faster in like straight line speed, if he's just pushing the puck ahead of him. But Nylander is much better at actually controlling/handling the puck at speed and making plays. He's an incredible transition player.

Reactions: smitty10

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

How fast is this

Not sure if this is in the spirit of "with the puck on his stick." He's pushing the puck ahead to win a foot race. He touches it like twice before he's in the offensive zone.

Not saying McDavid isn't the best at this, but I don't think this is the best example.

Reactions: DashingDane

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Gaudreau is. Definitely not the top end speed like McDavid and some others but faster than most and his edgework is beautiful. The way he creates space for himself and his linemates is artistry.
And I believe it, based on the post above yours.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Not sure if this is in the spirit of "with the puck on his stick." He's pushing the puck ahead to win a foot race. He touches it like twice before he's in the offensive zone.

Not saying McDavid isn't the best at this, but I don't think this is the best example.

Yeah that’s a good point actually. It’s not much different than the video from the poster I was quoting though. Neither of them are really “puckhandling” so much as making sure the puck is keeping up with them.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
If you're using in-game samples it might not be the most accurate. McDavid generally doesnt fly around at top speed. He usually Carrie's the puck in until the blue line at high speed then kicks it into another gear right around the time he gets to the defender. This is why previously most defenders had trouble with him because they would speed match and his acceleration would totally catch them off guard. It is why you see a lot of defenders either turn around early or just give him a lot of space to enter the zone.

This is a good point. It feels like the most successful fast players with good hands are able to do so because they change their pace quickly depending on situation to catch defenders off guard.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
McDavid now.

I remember Mogilny playing at a different speed when he got the puck then everyone else in the 90's though. Would be interesting to see him now vs the fastest skaters.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The fastest sample I have of a player with the puck is Paul Byron from last night. Outperforming Miles Wood's samples, and faster than any sample of McDavid's.

This sample.

Very impressive! vastly underrated player.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
The lack of Mackinnon in this thread so far is disappointing. Yes I'm biased, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone faster with the puck than him, besides McDavid of course.

Reactions: DashingDane

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The lack of Mackinnon in this thread so far is disappointing. Yes I'm biased, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone faster with the puck than him, besides McDavid of course.
He's so dangerous with the puck. I almost have a heart attack whenever the Leafs and Avs play and Mackinnon flies through the neutral zone.

1. McDavid
2. Mackinnon

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
In my humble biased opinion it's:

McDavid

Ehlers/MacKinnon
Barzal/ Eichel

I'm sure there are others that I just haven't watched play enough.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad