FAQ: Going to Anaheim and Honda Center

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
am I the only one that thinks it’s kind of a joke that our watch parties are at the tilted kilt. not exactly a family restaurant lol

you're right. they should hold the watch parties at marie callendar's

or maybe a church?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I think the issue is the lack of local sports bars around the Honda Center. Also, I suspect they’re a sponsor.

they are a sponsor

and the only other sports bars near the HC are danny k's and hooters. hosting them at tilted kilt makes perfect sense

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
am I the only one that thinks it’s kind of a joke that our watch parties are at the tilted kilt. not exactly a family restaurant lol

I went to a few at Hooter's years ago. Like others said, it just depends on our sponsors at the moment. Stopped going to them years ago for sake of my sanity.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’m going to opening night with my girlfriend tomorrow, my first in many many years. What’s the ideal time to arrive to not miss all the pregame festivities?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Being a fan from Boston is not only hard to work with since the games are on at 10pm but I always take the time to view if not the whole game, at least some part of it.

My girlfriend surprised me with tickets to the Home Opener on Monday and it was great. Perfect game to view. Now I want it to be a yearly experience, to view the opener :thumbu:

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
I'll be at Honda Center for the first time on Friday. What can I expect traffic to be like around the arena? I'm heading up from SD so I plan to make the trek up the 5 before 4 PM.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Well, having been to the Honda Center again, I guess my only comment would be that I wish there was some more exit options if you're next to the arena. Cops had the main road shut down, and there wasn't a high chance in hell I was gonna get on the interstate. had to go through Trabuco Canyon to get back home.

Also, maybe some more diverse food options would be nice? my dad tried to eat at AMPM before the game so I doubt he really cares.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Going to be in the area in March, about 20 mins from Anaheim, wanted to catch a Ducks game. Was looking at March 20th against Winnipeg or the 22nd againt San Jose.

Two questions,will tickets be hard to get, would need 2, and do you know of any really good restaurants in the area? Thanks!

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Going to be in the area in March, about 20 mins from Anaheim, wanted to catch a Ducks game. Was looking at March 20th against Winnipeg or the 22nd againt San Jose.

Two questions,will tickets be hard to get, would need 2, and do you know of any really good restaurants in the area? Thanks!
No tickets will not be hard to get

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

What kind of restaurant you looking for?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Reactions: Raphael87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you're looking for something within walking distance from the arena, this is one of my favorite steakhouses, in the same plaza as the Tilted Kilt and movie theater mentioned in the OP. HOME - Prime Cut Cafe

For Italian, this is another one of my personal favorites, but this is 10-15 minute drive from the arena. Mama Cozza's Italian Restaurant in Anaheim, California

I'm sure other posters will share their favorites as well :).

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to checking out Anaheim and wanted to check out the scene, so figure going to a nice restaurant instead of going straight to the arena would be a better idea.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So just scored tickets for 03/20 (Jets) and 03/22 (Sharks). Prices are similar to Amalie Arena in Tampa, maybe a little less. If you know of any other places I should check out, or stay away from, lol. Let me know, thanks!

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So just got back to NY from my Anaheim trip. Really enjoyed the city, the arena, and etc. Thought the fans were cool, friendly, and passionate. That San Jose game felt like a playoff game atmosphere. One of the highlights, was Wild Wing banging the drum right behind me, was really cool. We don’t even have a mascot in NY, lol. Anyway, I plan to go to more games next season. Hopefully you guys won’t mind having another person from the East rooting for this team next year.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
that would certainly be useful for me! we're visiting next week for USA Hockey Girls/Womens National Championships and will either be going to the Wed game vs Flames or Fri game vs Kings, determined by playing schedule. one of our players likes to have her picture taken with mascots. does Wild Wing hang out anywhere in particular during pre-game?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Hello Ducks fans,
My wife and I are planning a family trip to California for the late December / early January timeframe, and have a few questions for you:

1. Current plan is to fly to LA on Dec 28th, spend a couple days around Hollywood / Beverly Hills and then drive down to Laguna Beach on Dec 30th (which is a Monday). Question -- how long would you expect that drive to take? Will traffic be horrendous and if so is there any particular time to make the drive that would be best from a traffic pov?

2. We'll spend a few days at some resort near Laguna Beach and my kids are keen on doing some water sports in the ocean -- boogie boarding and maybe a little surfing (kids are 11 and 14). I realize that the water will be pretty cold at that time, and we'll absolutely need wetsuits... but will it be too cold even with wetsuits? I guess I'm assuming the water temp will be around 60 degrees, is that way off?

3. Any particular resorts at or near Laguna that you'd recommend for it's beaches? We typically stay at pretty high end places, so I price is not something I worry about too much (you can't take it with you!).

Thanks in advance, looking forward to visiting your part of the world!

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hello Ducks fans,
My wife and I are planning a family trip to California for the late December / early January timeframe, and have a few questions for you:

1. Current plan is to fly to LA on Dec 28th, spend a couple days around Hollywood / Beverly Hills and then drive down to Laguna Beach on Dec 30th (which is a Monday). Question -- how long would you expect that drive to take? Will traffic be horrendous and if so is there any particular time to make the drive that would be best from a traffic pov? Traffic is at it's worast from 7:30am-9am and then 4:30pm-6:30pm
That will be a long drive . I would plan for an hour an a half- two hours

2. We'll spend a few days at some resort near Laguna Beach and my kids are keen on doing some water sports in the ocean -- boogie boarding and maybe a little surfing (kids are 11 and 14). I realize that the water will be pretty cold at that time, and we'll absolutely need wetsuits... but will it be too cold even with wetsuits? I guess I'm assuming the water temp will be around 60 degrees, is that way off? Way off . The water temp in the winter will be around 50 degrees. not too cold with wetsuits. People do it every day.
The Laguna coast is very rocky though. I would recommend Newport Beach or Huntington for body surfing. You might want to check the beach websites, many black ball surfing.
The best surfing in SoCal is Tressels in San Clemente
Trestles Beach, San Clemente, CA - California Beaches

3. Any particular resorts at or near Laguna that you'd recommend for it's beaches? We typically stay at pretty high end places, so I price is not something I worry about too much (you can't take it with you!).
The Montage. High end but as beautiful as it gets

answers above

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Hello Ducks fans,

1. Current plan is to fly to LA on Dec 28th, spend a couple days around Hollywood / Beverly Hills and then drive down to Laguna Beach on Dec 30th (which is a Monday). Question -- how long would you expect that drive to take? Will traffic be horrendous and if so is there any particular time to make the drive that would be best from a traffic pov?

2. We'll spend a few days at some resort near Laguna Beach and my kids are keen on doing some water sports in the ocean -- boogie boarding and maybe a little surfing (kids are 11 and 14). I realize that the water will be pretty cold at that time, and we'll absolutely need wetsuits... but will it be too cold even with wetsuits? I guess I'm assuming the water temp will be around 60 degrees, is that way off?

I live in Newport Beach. I agree with most of what LT Dan had to say. However, in terms of traffic: a) it is always bad, and b) some times of the day are worse. I would say to get out of Beverly Hills by 2:00 PM, and certainly no later than 2:30 PM. The evening "rush hour" tends to start right about then. If you are leaving in the morning have a nice breakfast and leave around 10:00 AM or later.

The water temperature will be a little below 60 degrees. See Laguna Beach (CA) Water Temperature | United States | Sea Temperatures You can go in but you do need a wet suit. If you are staying in a high end resort the concierge can recommend good surfing beaches for you. Just remember two things: 1) you are going to be here in the rainy season, so there could be rain, and 2) the Rose Bowl game on January 1 draws a good crowd of visitors even down in Orange County, so you might want to make your reservations well in advance. Depending upon the teams we usually get a good number of cold weather visitors.

The Montage is a very good recommendation, but it is quite expensive. The beach near there is not the best for surfing. If you wanted to go a little further south in that price range you can try the Ritz-Carlton or the Monarch Beach Resort near Dana Point. If you want to stay in Newport you can go very high end with the Resort at Pelican Hill. There are less expensive choices in all three locations.

You will usually see surf on the local beaches of at least 2 - 3 feet, but when storms hit the surf can go up to 6- 8 feet or more. Some beaches have even higher surf, so make sure to match your skill level to the beach that you choose. I would stay away from being right next to the piers since surfers have been known to be pushed into the piers. Check out this site for surf reports. Local surf reports, swell forecasts, and surf cams - Surfline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad