FAQ: Going to Anaheim and Honda Center

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone know when individual game tickets go on sale? I know some teams are doing presales but nothing is available yet for the Ducks. I am going to be in Anaheim in Nov and was planning on going to a few games. Just want to lock them up now. Thanks!

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I live in Newport Beach. I agree with most of what LT Dan had to say. However, in terms of traffic: a) it is always bad, and b) some times of the day are worse. I would say to get out of Beverly Hills by 2:00 PM, and certainly no later than 2:30 PM. The evening "rush hour" tends to start right about then. If you are leaving in the morning have a nice breakfast and leave around 10:00 AM or later.

The water temperature will be a little below 60 degrees. See Laguna Beach (CA) Water Temperature | United States | Sea Temperatures You can go in but you do need a wet suit. If you are staying in a high end resort the concierge can recommend good surfing beaches for you. Just remember two things: 1) you are going to be here in the rainy season, so there could be rain, and 2) the Rose Bowl game on January 1 draws a good crowd of visitors even down in Orange County, so you might want to make your reservations well in advance. Depending upon the teams we usually get a good number of cold weather visitors.

The Montage is a very good recommendation, but it is quite expensive. The beach near there is not the best for surfing. If you wanted to go a little further south in that price range you can try the Ritz-Carlton or the Monarch Beach Resort near Dana Point. If you want to stay in Newport you can go very high end with the Resort at Pelican Hill. There are less expensive choices in all three locations.

You will usually see surf on the local beaches of at least 2 - 3 feet, but when storms hit the surf can go up to 6- 8 feet or more. Some beaches have even higher surf, so make sure to match your skill level to the beach that you choose. I would stay away from being right next to the piers since surfers have been known to be pushed into the piers. Check out this site for surf reports. Local surf reports, swell forecasts, and surf cams - Surfline

Many thanks @GreatBear and @LTDan

This begs a follow up question -- if I'm going to also consider Dana Point and Newport, what are those towns like compared to Laguna Beach?

Really the only reason we're planning to stay in Laguna Beach is because my wife has a friend from college who lives there and we'll probably get together with her for lunch. But of course we could do that from Dana Point or Newport -- so which of those areas are best for tourists, in particular families with youngish kids (11 and 14)? We like touristy areas where we can stroll around and see interesting shops and restaurants.

Thanks!

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Many thanks @GreatBear and @LTDan

This begs a follow up question -- if I'm going to also consider Dana Point and Newport, what are those towns like compared to Laguna Beach?

Really the only reason we're planning to stay in Laguna Beach is because my wife has a friend from college who lives there and we'll probably get together with her for lunch. But of course we could do that from Dana Point or Newport -- so which of those areas are best for tourists, in particular families with youngish kids (11 and 14)? We like touristy areas where we can stroll around and see interesting shops and restaurants.

Thanks!
All are very nice, Newport Beach is bigger and more spread out. All are close enough that wherever you stay you can visit them. Corona Del Mar is nice as well, has a small town feel similar to Laguna.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Newport has several areas where you can walk around and visit the shops. The Balboa Peninsula is good for this. You could look at staying at the Lido House Hotel, Lido House Newport Beach, which is near a number of shopping/restaurant areas. I agree that the Corona Del Mar area in on Pacific Coast Highway in Newport is good for walking, with plenty of restaurants. There are no hotels specifically in CDM as we would call Corona Del Mar, and parking can be a bit of an issue. If you want to stay by the Fashion Island Shopping Mall you can stay at the Fashion Island Hotel, Fashion Island Hotel in Newport Beach | Luxury Hotel Accommodation. This was managed by the Four Seasons for a while but the Irvine Company that owns the hotel. I find this fairly limited as a place for a tourist to stay since I am not a big fan of malls, but you can certainly stay there and drive to the other areas.

I believe that Laguna may be your best choice. It has shops and restaurants, and if you are interested a goodly number of art galleries. Many of the artists that made the town more interesting have been priced out of the area, but it still has a bit of an artist colony feel. The main tourist/shopping area is a bit of a distance from the Montage, but if you don't want a long walk there is usually a city trolley running during peak tourists seasons and which may run during the Christmas season. You will have to check on that. If the trolley is not running there is bus service. Parking otherwise can be challenging.

I would put Dana Point in third place on your list. The marina area has some interesting places, but it is fairly small. You can drive out to the Marine Institute, but that is fairly limited. Otherwise it is a bit more scattered and not really the same. It does have a nice state beach, but you can drive there from either Laguna or Newport.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
I would make sure to see Huntington Beach. It is Surf City and IMO has the best beaches and beachy environment in So Cal.
Even if it is just a walk up Main Street

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
Coming to see my first game in Anaheim for the home opener and the game a couple days later against San Jose, super pumped. I guess it may be a little early to know but is there usually a pre-party type thing for the home opener or is it just the usual restaurant-around-the-arena pregame? May be going alone, I like being social and having beers so looking for something with that vibe

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Coming to see my first game in Anaheim for the home opener and the game a couple days later against San Jose, super pumped. I guess it may be a little early to know but is there usually a pre-party type thing for the home opener or is it just the usual restaurant-around-the-arena pregame? May be going alone, I like being social and having beers so looking for something with that vibe
We always do the orange carpet before the home opener, where the players are introduced and interviewed, and then walk down the carpet signing autographs.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Does Anaheim still paper tickets for season ticket holders? Trying to collect as many paper stubs from arenas as I can but more teams are going fully digital :thumbd:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Does Anaheim still paper tickets for season ticket holders? Trying to collect as many paper stubs from arenas as I can but more teams are going fully digital :thumbd:
For season ticket holders, yes there are still paper tickets.

Reactions: Colin226

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
G'day Ducks fans.
Heading to Anaheim with the family in Oct and hoping to take them to the Flames game on the 20th.
Are we best to book tickets now, or should they be available on the day?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
G'day Ducks fans.
Heading to Anaheim with the family in Oct and hoping to take them to the Flames game on the 20th.
Are we best to book tickets now, or should they be available on the day?

As an out of towner, I had no issues, but bought them two weeks before I flew out there. It’s not like MSG, where tickets are ridiculously priced and limited. But if you want the best availability you may want to purchase in advanced. I also had to add a ticket last min back in March and had no issues.

Also, be sure to hit Disneyland, it’s like only 5 miles from the Honda Center. Anyway, Have a good time, I’ll be out there in mid Nov, can’t wait to get out there again! :)

Reactions: mike14

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Is the Honda display still on the exterior north east corner of Ponda walking in from Ball rd parking lot?

Haven't gone to a game this year yet, and coordinating meeting friends at the Honda display for the kings game and want to make sure it's still there ...

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Is the Honda display still on the exterior north east corner of Ponda walking in from Ball rd parking lot?

Haven't gone to a game this year yet, and coordinating meeting friends at the Honda display for the kings game and want to make sure it's still there ...

Yes, cars still on both corners, northeast & southwest.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gonna be heading to Anaheim a week from Sat. Anybody know any good coffee roasters/cafe places. Talking like a local place better than Starbucks.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Gonna be heading to Anaheim a week from Sat. Anybody know any good coffee roasters/cafe places. Talking like a local place better than Starbucks.
There's a Brot Coffee Roasters at 386 So Main St in Orange, probably about 15 min away from Honda Center. Kids gave me some beans for Christmas; pretty good!

Reactions: Leonardo87

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
LOL!

How is that Bodhi Leaf Coffee Traders? If you ever been there. Looks like there is one right past the Honda Center on Katella Ave.
I drink coffee all the time. I'm not much of an expert because I can and do drink almost anything (including Starbucks). But I have no problem stopping at Mickey D for one of theirs. I know people who consider themselves connoisseurs. Nothing wrong with that but I couldn't tell you why anybody prefers one over the other. I used to work with a guy who brought in his $50/LB monkey poop coffee to make his own. He gave me a cup one time. It was fine but you couldn't convince me to spend that kind of money for it.

When you drink coffee as much as I do, the expression "any port in a storm" tends to apply. :laugh: YMMV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->