Fantasy GM Thread | Part XII: Free Agency Looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't know how Juolevi didn't accept his qualifying offer. He doesn't really have anything to point at and say "see I deserve more."

Also, Drance mentioned in a recent vancast it would benefit Juolevi to come in cheaper. If it's between him, Rathbone, and Hunt for a roster spot and both guys come in 100k + cheaper, they'll go with the cheap guy.

I don't think I agree with that. Rathbone seems clearly superior to Juolevi and Hunt, to me.

Reactions: Get North

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If the Canucks show real improvement this coming season, I bet they'll to go hard after a RHS Dman in the next year UFA batch.
Not a lot of them available though. Parayko or Pulock would be ideal but they'll probably be resigned

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If the Canucks show real improvement this coming season, I bet they'll to go hard after a RHS Dman in the next year UFA batch.
Not a lot of them available though. Parayko or Pulock would be ideal but they'll probably be resigned

Hamonic, Poolman, Myers and Schenn are all signed for at least 2 years. So maybe it still happens.. but they've locked into that right side as of now.

Reactions: Lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

with all the cap committed this year, they will have trouble re-signing their rfas next year, let alone adding players.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
If Myers was replaced with a quality 2nd pairing Dman I would be pretty happy with our group.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Jersey seems to have a raging hard-on for "puck moving defencemen". Wonder if those bozos would trade Severson for Myers.
Aren't they going more analytical with their approach? Severson was an analytical darling this past season and Myers is a disaster, they'd probably laugh and hang up before Benning could finish offering the trade.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Myers for debrusk and then sign vatanen?
Frees up more cap space hughes/pettersson and bonuses this year

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Are Brian Burke and Ron Hextall the only dumb enough duo that might want to trade for Myers?

Myers for Marino?

We get a younger RHD with potential upside and save a little bit of capspace

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Are Brian Burke and Ron Hextall the only dumb enough duo that might want to trade for Myers?

Myers for Marino?

We get a younger RHD with potential upside and save a little bit of capspace
I think we missed our shot trading Myers to Philly. Rutherford would've given us a 1st for Myers. Instead they got Ristolainen.

I think Nashville and Columbus are two other teams that could be interested in a player like Myers. Their right-side defense each has so few NHL games experience, they have tonnes of cap-space, and they low-key could really use a tank commander like Myers to soak up the ice-time.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Feels like these are the big things to deal with in this 'window'
  • Trading Myers
  • Finding a top 4 RHD who is good-great defensively
  • Trading Miller while his value is high to a team desperate for a top 6 'center'
  • Finding a Miller replacement (cost controlled top 6 forward with a solid mixture of faceoff/physicality/defense/scrappy offensive capabilities)
I just don't think we can keep both Horvat and Miller at the prices they will want after this year. And personally I keep Horvat. Of course there are still the miracle scenarios where Miller takes a discount to stay and Myers reinvents himself as a defense-first guy...

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
  • Trading Myers
  • Trading Miller while his value is high to a team desperate for a top 6 'center'
  • Finding a Miller replacement (cost controlled top 6 forward with a solid mixture of faceoff/physicality/defense/scrappy offensive capabilities)
I just don't think we can keep both Horvat and Miller at the prices they will want. And personally I keep Horvat. Of course there are still the miracle scenarios where Miller takes a discount to stay and Myers reinvents himself as a defense-first guy...

that's some wishful thinking dude

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
  • Trading Myers
I just don't think we can keep both Horvat and Miller at the prices they will want after this year. And personally I keep Horvat. Of course there are still the miracle scenarios where Miller takes a discount to stay and Myers reinvents himself as a defense-first guy...

Garland is likely the Miller replacement IMO.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
  • Trading Myers

The bolded is Benning's White Whale. Literally impossible for him to accomplish.

And trading players while "their value is high" is not exactly a Benning MO either. Most likely Miller just walks. That's more Benning's style.

Reactions: vanuck

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If Boeser wants 9 to 10m he better improve his skating leaps and bounds from where it is now.

I wouldn’t pay a winger 9-10M unless they were in the elite of the elite anyways. I think 7.5x5 maybe push it to 8 for boeser would be fair. Wouldn’t go higher than that because I don’t value the winger position that much.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The bolded is Benning's White Whale. Literally impossible for him to accomplish.

And trading players while "their value is high" is not exactly a Benning MO either. Most likely Miller just walks. That's more Benning's style.

I think the op is assuming the “new window” includes a new Gm. There is a zero percent chance Benning does any of the things on this list.

Shellshockedfrom2011

Aug 9, 2021
I think trading Rathbone might be an option. He is tracking like a very good 1st rounder but his value may allow us to get a quality RD who could play shutdown minutes. He is definitely better than Juloevi and Hunt but I believe one of those two would be adequate 6Ds. If they flop then a decent 3rd pairing LD could be had for cheap during the season.

I propose that we consider moving him plus Myers to a team with ample caproom in exchange for a very good defensive or two-way RD.

Myers is a fairly versatile 4-5 Dman with veteran leadership and grit but he can't be effective with Hughes or play a shutdown role with OEL. That leaves him as a strictly 3rd pairing Dman. At 6M that really hurts our team and cap structure going forward.

A few targets with a basis of Rathbone plus Myers for a good RD plus most likely a decent to good prospect

Ottawa Senators

Zub - Good defensive d-man who is a former teammate of Podz.

Zaitsev - Might be closer to Myers but if he's better defensively than I think he may be a viable target. Would need a very good prospect in addition

Devils

Severson - would look great with Hughes or OEL

Preds

Fabbro - Local kid. Not sure how his defensive game is progressing. If it's good enough then he would be a great add.

Ducks

Manson - Would be good but he might command a fair bit of money next contract

There are definitely a few more potential options for RD using this package but I haven't watched enough non-Canucks games recently to evaluate those RD. It definitely isn't ideal to deal Rathbone but I think the team could be better for the next few years if we made a deal in this vein.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think trading Rathbone might be an option. He is tracking like a very good 1st rounder but his value may allow us to get a quality RD who could play shutdown minutes. He is definitely better than Juloevi and Hunt but I believe one of those two would be adequate 6Ds. If they flop then a decent 3rd pairing LD could be had for cheap during the season.

I propose that we consider moving him plus Myers to a team with ample caproom in exchange for a very good defensive or two-way RD.

Myers is a fairly versatile 4-5 Dman with veteran leadership and grit but he can't be effective with Hughes or play a shutdown role with OEL. That leaves him as a strictly 3rd pairing Dman. At 6M that really hurts our team and cap structure going forward.

A few targets with a basis of Rathbone plus Myers for a good RD plus most likely a decent to good prospect

Ottawa Senators

Zub - Good defensive d-man who is a former teammate of Podz.

Zaitsev - Might be closer to Myers but if he's better defensively than I think he may be a viable target. Would need a very good prospect in addition

Devils

Severson - would look great with Hughes or OEL

Press

Fabbro - Local kid. Not sure how his defensive game is progressing. If it's good enough then he would be a great add.

Ducks

Manson - Would be good but he might command a fair bit of money next contract

There are definitely a few more potential options for RD using this package but I haven't watched enough non-Canucks games recently to evaluate those RD. It definitely isn't ideal to deal Rathbone but I think the team could be better for the next few years if we made a deal in this vein.
To me..it comes down to whether Rathbone can be an all situational type d-man (top 4 ,PK and PP).?..If he can, we keep him..

Also, it depends on OEL..how does he play..?..There's no point in moving JR if OEL starts falling off a cliff ..(as he gets older).

I see where you're coming from ..but moving JR would be a last ditch resort..IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad