Fantasy GM Thread | Part XII: Free Agency Looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
It doesn't look like the Canucks can do much more before the start of the season.

We will probably have to wait and see which teams inevitably start the season flat and become desperate. Hopefully there is a hot seat GM who will feel pressured to take Myers.

Ideally we could then bring in a top pairing RHD to push all the other guys down. Sounds impossible but stranger things have happened I guess.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think we need to explore what we can get for JT Miller at next years TDL.

He will get Landeskog money in his next contract and I'm not sure im prepared to make that long term investment on a player that will be 30 yrs old at that time and who plays a robust physical game that forces the body to breakdown sooner than later and usually around after 30 yrs old. I see him getting 7 by 7 in the open market. Canucks shouldnt touch that.

I'm all for keeping him if he wants to sign a 3-4 year deal to stay with the Canucks, though i highly doubt it as that will be his last big pay day contract chance.

Hopefulyl Podkolzin can develop into everything Miller has become by then and we can just promote Podkolzin to that role and trade Miller for a young RD or very high picks and prospect.

What we cant do is allow Miller to walk into free agency and lose him for nothing.

He will literally be the most valuable asset the Canucks have ever had at the trade deadline in many many many years.

Worth at least 1st, 3rd and a prospect.

Core I see moving forward in 2 years.

Pettersson
Horvat
Hughes
Boeser
Demko
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Garland

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think we need to explore what we can get for JT Miller at next years TDL.

He will get Landeskog money in his next contract and I'm not sure im prepared to make that long term investment on a player that will be 30 yrs old at that time and who plays a robust physical game that forces the body to breakdown sooner than later and usually around after 30 yrs old. I see him getting 7 by 7 in the open market. Canucks shouldnt touch that.

I'm all for keeping him if he wants to sign a 3-4 year deal to stay with the Canucks, though i highly doubt it as that will be his last big pay day contract chance.

Hopefulyl Podkolzin can develop into everything Miller has become by then and we can just promote Podkolzin to that role and trade Miller for a young RD or very high picks and prospect.

What we cant do is allow Miller to walk into free agency and lose him for nothing.

He will literally be the most valuable asset the Canucks have ever had at the trade deadline in many many many years.

Worth at least 1st, 3rd and a prospect.

Core I see moving forward in 2 years.

Pettersson
Horvat
Hughes
Boeser
Demko
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Garland
They aren’t moving Miller. They will either be in playoff spot or very close at the deadline and they aren’t trading their top winger

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Domi is on the trading block.
I was toying with the idea of a Pearson for Domi swap AFTER Petey and Hughes are resigned. Domi makes $2M more than Pearson but Pearson is on a three year deal and Domi only has 1 year. This would create cap space in year 2 and 3.
The reason i thought of Pearson was because i'm not a huge fan of his contract, especially in year 2 and 3 and Columbus needs left wings.
Not sure if there'll be $2M in extra cap space after the RFA's are resigned though :(

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I was toying with the idea of a Pearson for Domi swap AFTER Petey and Hughes are resigned. Domi makes $2M more than Pearson but Pearson is on a three year deal and Domi only has 1 year. This would create cap space in year 2 and 3.
The reason i thought of Pearson was because i'm not a huge fan of his contract, especially in year 2 and 3 and Columbus needs left wings.
Not sure if there'll be $2M in extra cap space after the RFA's are resigned though :(
Domi sucks. And is not good in the room. Pearson is a 2nd/3rd line tweener and paid accordingly. Would I have resigned him? Probably not. But when your captains puts pressure on the org to bring him back you do it. Imo

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Domi sucks. And is not good in the room. Pearson is a 2nd/3rd line tweener and paid accordingly. Would I have resigned him? Probably not. But when your captains puts pressure on the org to bring him back you do it. Imo
Was that ever actually substantiated ? That Horvat pushed for Pearson's resigning

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I think Pearson will utilize his full NTC and block a trade personally.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think the Heiskenen and Makar salaries were actually very fair. It was the Werenski and Jones deals that set off a crazy valuation for UFA years.
I just figured with flat cap salaries would be a little suppressed doesn't seem to be though. Jones deal no idea what Hawks were thinking but the Columbus one though I agree he's way over paid needed to stop the bleeding of talent.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
The market for D-men is effing insane. If Hughes holds the line on that kind of money, trade him.

I agree on the general premise of trading Miller despite his significance to the team. But the timing needs to make sense. The Canucks will likely be fighting for a playoff position near the deadline so the likelyhood of a deal then is basically zero. The 2022 off-season is probably when you need to make a bold move before his last year to restock the cupboards of youth. That being said, I fully expect him to walk in Free Agency and we get nothing.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Can we trade you and Bertuzzi2bure to the Buffalo board for nothing
Eichel and Pettersson are about equal, with Eichel having the potential to be a tier above. Dahlin is superior to Hughes, and is going to be a top 5 d-man in the league for a long time.

I don't get attached to players. Eichel and Dahlin would make the Canucks a better team.

Reactions: Nucker101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad