Fantasy GM Thread | Part XII: Free Agency Looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Eichel and Pettersson are about equal, with Eichel having the potential to be a tier above. Dahlin is superior to Hughes, and is going to be a top 5 d-man in the league for a long time.

I don't get attached to players. Eichel and Dahlin would make the Canucks a better team.

If you think Petterssons and Eichel values are the same or even similar their is no point of even having this discussion.

Last edited:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
If you think Petterssons and Eichel values are that same or even similar their is no point of of even having this discussion.
You do you. We have different opinions.

0c5.jpg

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Eichel and Pettersson are about equal, with Eichel having the potential to be a tier above. Dahlin is superior to Hughes, and is going to be a top 5 d-man in the league for a long time.

I don't get attached to players. Eichel and Dahlin would make the Canucks a better team.

Dahlin has been significantly worse than Hughes at the NHL level but okay.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I agree. There are only two possibilities - we sign him to a bloated contract, or he walks. There will be no trading JT under Benning

This. This is da way.

But in all seriousness... can't have cap issues if you never re-sign your UFA's. *taps head*

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I don't think Miller gets moved at the TDL, but if at the end of the season RD is still as big a need as it appears to be right now, moving JT in the offseason would ake sense. Especially if Podkolzin has a strong season.

Wouldn't move Boeser unless it was for a sure fire homerun top pairing RD.

Reactions: elitepete

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Domi is on the trading block.
I was toying with the idea of a Pearson for Domi swap AFTER Petey and Hughes are resigned. Domi makes $2M more than Pearson but Pearson is on a three year deal and Domi only has 1 year. This would create cap space in year 2 and 3.
The reason i thought of Pearson was because i'm not a huge fan of his contract, especially in year 2 and 3 and Columbus needs left wings.
Not sure if there'll be $2M in extra cap space after the RFA's are resigned though :(

If Domi came at 50% and didn't cost much in terms of trade value I'd for sure give it a go. Remember him and Bo were lights out in London and really close friends. Might keep Max focused a little more. Plus he wants to play centre and the idea of a line of
Garland - Domi - Hoglander sounds like pure chaos (perhaps the mighty midgets line).

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
I dont see the recent D contracts negatively affecting us in regards to Hughes. Werenski/Jones/Nurse arent comparable at all. Heiskanen & Makar set the RFA elite dman market but they are both significantly better at this stage. Long-term (as of now) Hughes value probably slots in just under Heiskanen at 7-8. I'd do 7 long-term, hesitantly do 7.5-8, and be concerned to match Heiskanens 8.5. He probably believes he can be worth more than 7's, and we probably want to know he can tread water defensively before going into the 8's.

Therefore, all signs still point to a bridge a la McAvoy/Werenski's previous in the 5.5-6.5 range.

Really dont see how anything has changed.

Petey, however, i'd risk overpaying now to get a deal for the later half of a long-term.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I just want to say that moving Jt. Miller or Boeser to get a RD doesnt make us that much better. We lose depth up front to fill a hole in the back-end.
I would rather just wait for next year and try to snag a RD via the UFA market.
Losing a top line forward takes our offense from arguably top 10 in the league to that 15-20 range.

Making moves that just shifts "holes" in the team from one area to another is overall detrimental since there is a bit of a stigma or morale hit when you move a core piece ...especially when you don't get significantly better having done so.

Reactions: alternate

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If Domi came at 50% and didn't cost much in terms of trade value I'd for sure give it a go. Remember him and Bo were lights out in London and really close friends. Might keep Max focused a little more. Plus he wants to play centre and the idea of a line of
Garland - Domi - Hoglander sounds like pure chaos (perhaps the mighty midgets line).
yes, i forgot to inlude that in my original post. Him and Bo are tight and the fact Domi can play C (wants to) adds options and potential depth.
i'd make that move even if Domi was only 25% retained. I think Perason is on the downward trend and next year he'll be 3rd liner, 18 point guy, then a 4th liner the year after and then a healthy scratch in year 3.
However, as the poster above noted, i forogt that he has a NTC....so moving him likely isnt an option.

Reactions: ratbid

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I just want to say that moving Jt. Miller or Boeser to get a RD doesnt make us that much better. We lose depth up front to fill a hole in the back-end.

I think the point to make here regarding Miller is that losing him for nothing makes us MUCH worse. Whereas trading him before he hits Free Agency for an asset on defense at the least helps keep an even keel for the future.

I just don't see a way we can resign Miller to a raise, nor does it make sense when he hits the age of 30. Bold decisions need to be made sometimes.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think the point to make here regarding Miller is that losing him for nothing makes us MUCH worse. Whereas trading him before he his Free Agency for an asset on defense at the least helps keep an even keel for the future.

I just don't see a way we can resign Miller to a raise, nor does it make sense when he hits the age of 30. Bold decisions need to be made sometimes.
Yup. Trade Miller to a cup contender for younger assets.

Reactions: Lindgren and ugghhh

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think the point to make here regarding Miller is that losing him for nothing makes us MUCH worse. Whereas trading him before he his Free Agency for an asset on defense at the least helps keep an even keel for the future.

Yup. If we're out of the playoffs again in 2022, I would look to move Miller for a U25 defender who can grow with the younger core guys. This 'hanging onto veterans because we want to seem competitive and letting them walk for nothing' bulls*** has to stop.

And honestly at that point, if you're going to trade Miller you might as well move Horvat too... as sad as that makes me.

Reactions: Lindgren and Fatass

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

Fair, but we have him this year and next year so this conversation should maybe happen part-way through the 2022/2023 season once we see where we're at in terms of contending. Also, if he has two good years, he may take a slight discount and only cost a million more when resigned.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Fair, but we have him this year and next year so this conversation should maybe happen part-way through the 2022/2023 season once we see where we're at in terms of contending. Also, if he has two good years, he may take a slight discount and only cost a million more when resigned.
The problem isn't just Cost. Its also age. Their is a very good chance that at age thirty he gonna want one more long term big money contract and that could really bite us with the style how Players like miller Age.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
He has been in the organization longer than Chatfield. If he ever makes it, he'll owe it to Vancouver for giving him 7 years to figure it out.
I don't think anyone expects him to make it, like the tweet says solid piece for Abby.

We are building a whole roster on a new AHL team, we need need reliable players down there.

Reactions: ugghhh

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
yes, i forgot to inlude that in my original post. Him and Bo are tight and the fact Domi can play C (wants to) adds options and potential depth.
i'd make that move even if Domi was only 25% retained. I think Perason is on the downward trend and next year he'll be 3rd liner, 18 point guy, then a 4th liner the year after and then a healthy scratch in year 3.
However, as the poster above noted, i forogt that he has a NTC....so moving him likely isnt an option.

Yeah Pearson isn't going anywhere. As long as he plays 3rd line then he's a fine player just (as usual) a little overpaid. I think next year could be interesting on a guy like him. I imagine players with young families really felt the toll of playing a year like last year and constantly worried about their health and their families health. I could see him bouncing back a bit with a proper summer off and a slightly more normal year. But maybe that's optimistic, we will see.

As to Domi, yeah if we could fit it I'd try it as a reclamation project for sure, since he has one year left.

Reactions: CanuckCity

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know how Juolevi didn't accept his qualifying offer. He doesn't really have anything to point at and say "see I deserve more."

Also, Drance mentioned in a recent vancast it would benefit Juolevi to come in cheaper. If it's between him, Rathbone, and Hunt for a roster spot and both guys come in 100k + cheaper, they'll go with the cheap guy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I haven't really heard/seen it mentioned, but Juolevi's qualifying offer would have been a two-way contract so it made no sense for him to sign it. I suspect he is negotiating a 1-way deal between 750-850k which will help the Canucks cap while still guaranteeing he gets paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad