Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Reminder that Myers played worse by eye test, basic stats, and advanced stats than Stecher in the playoffs.

Benn and Fantenberg f***ing sucked lmao

Reactions: vanuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Reminder that Myers played worse by eye test, basic stats, and advanced stats than Stecher in the playoffs.

Yup Myers was a pylon in the playoffs. Put the team short handed a ridiculous amount of times.

Myers is getting overrated because he’s tall, a former high pick, and was acquired by Jim. Tanev and Stecher had better seasons.

the defense jim inherited was overall better. Quinn Hughes is the great separator.

Myers isn’t as good as Garrison performed as a Canuck.

It doesn’t make sense to stop judging a d Corps at 4 either.

Is Nate Schmidt better than Hamhuis at the same age? I don’t think so. Others maybe do but I’m not there yet. Hopefully he’s JT Miller on defense but we don’t know.

a veteran signed to the 3rd pair next season lost his spot to fantenberg. If he’s expected to play is that not a downgrade? Juolevi needs easy minutes and the Utica guys don’t look up to sniff imo.

Frankly I’m not sure the current make up suits the skill sets of the group. Hughes still needs a release valve at 5 on 5 to be able to play higher competition. Maybe that’s Schmidt but I’m not sure they’ll like the size of that pairing. If it’s Myers they need easy usage then Edler’s pair gets buried. Schmidt would do well to match the results the edler Stecher combo had last season. It was good (but possibly over performed).

The d needs a Tanev like player, preferably right handed. I don’t like Hamonic a lot but he’d really solidify the d corps in the short term.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Myers wasn't good in the regular season either. Comparing a top 4 D and a number 5 directly doesn't work for some stats like GA/60, but Stecher was a top 10 #5 last year offensively and defensively and one of a few to have really good defensive numbers not from getting easy deployment. Myers was also the 2nd worst defensively on the top 4, and had 52.2% offensive zone starts, compared to Stecher's 39.3. I still have no idea why Green preferred Myers to Stecher on th Pk when he was much worse there.

I think comparing the 2018-19 stats is much better as they were both number 5's then. Myers had 1 more ES point than Stecher in 2 more games, while Stecher had better defensive stats.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Last year are defence had an average of 47.62 offensive zone start %. Assuming something similar for next year

Hughes-Myers 55% each
Edler Schmidt 40% each

That would leave Juolevi-Benn with 47.85%.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pretty bold of Harman to state Myers>Tanev. Interesting that he mentions Hughes struggled down the stretch defensively. Jfresh did a player analysis for first half vs second half Risers/fallers.

Hughes came up pretty hard on the fallers list.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F25538688-0b5b-4a6f-a776-232b5aac459a_1064x862.png

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I love when POM posts athletic articles even though he says he doesn't have a subscription.

Reactions: rypper

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
It also isn't much of a spicy take which I don't disagree with based on what we saw in the regular season.

They (Stecher/Tanev/Myers) all performed at a 4-5 level last season. He just picked the one who he thought was slightly better than the other ones. POM didn't even read the article.

The point of this is to say that Tanev is more of a No. 4/5 on a contending team which is still a very useful player, but he’s just not the elite play-driving, defensive defenceman he was during his peak.
Let’s get the obvious out of the way — he’s a No. 4 defenceman being paid top-pair money and at 30-years-old with another four years of term left, his contract is likely to age poorly.

Then he was outperformed in the playoffs by Stecher and Tanev. Unfortunate, but it's reality.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Harm nailed it:

Didn’t qualify and didn’t come to terms with RFA defender Troy Stecher

Two-year, $3.4 million ($1.7 million AAV) contract

Grade: F

Honestly, this one is just sad.
Troy Stecher is a fan favourite from Vancouver, he wanted to stay and he’s an underrated defensive contributor who fares extraordinarily well at limiting goals against. There’s no question that he’s capable of helping a good team win games in a third pair role. And he signed a hometown discount-type contract with the Detroit Red Wings.

On a two-year deal at $3.4 million total, the Canucks should’ve found a way to keep Stecher. It may have been possible if the club had been more proactive in discussing the problem — and particularly Stecher’s inconvenient qualifying offer and arbitration eligibility — with the player, and working to come to a solution before the market opened.

Stecher’s absence leaves a big hole on Vancouver’s back end, one that will be felt when the inevitable back-end injuries hit and the club’s depth is tested.

Canucks offseason report card: Grading every move from management so far

Reactions: vanuck

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I also haven't seen a substantive argument for why the Canucks defense as a whole is better even though I see it paraded all the time. If someone in the top four gets injured, your next man up is going to be one of Benn, Juolevi, Rathbone, or Chatfield.

Fantenberg and Benn were literally two of the worst defenseman in the NHL last season but we're supposed to rely upon the latter to be an upgrade on the guy who displaced him and was hemmed in his own end the entire year?

Yoikes.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Quinn Hughes goals for% at 5 on 5 in the playoffs with Myers: 25%

With everyone else: 80%

The team performed better the further down the lineup Myers was buried.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I love when POM posts athletic articles even though he says he doesn't have a subscription.
Me too. It’s the only time he actually links the articles. Usually it’s just him cutting random quotes out of a Kuzma or Willes article (generally clipping out the important parts due to the agenda).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Some of us use quotes (from legitimate sports media) to verify what we're talking about ,instead of relying on wacky conspiracy theories...manipulated quotes..and tired, depressed, hypotheticals...which are validated through the 'echo chamber'.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Lol ok you literally manipulated the compete in line with the sedin contract quote days ago. Then went on to excuse it because he didn’t say guarantee.

You never link the articles you quote unless it’s an athletic one you say you don’t read.

legitimate sports media don’t invent word definitions either.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
"Benning didn't have any choice with the salary cap this offseason" is a personal favourite. If we ignore the last 5 years of cap mismanagement, then sure!

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Some of us use quotes (from legitimate sports media) to verify what we're talking about ,instead of relying on wacky conspiracy theories...manipulated quotes..and tired, depressed, hypotheticals...which are validated through the 'echo chamber'.
you cannot deny it's funny that you post athletic articles based on the titles suiting your narrative even though you don't have a subscription lol

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
"Benning didn't have any choice with the salary cap this offseason" is a personal favourite. If we ignore the last 5 years of cap mismanagement, then sure!
People who have said that weren't defending or talking about five years of cap mismanagement. They were talking about this offseason.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

you cannot deny it's funny that you post athletic articles based on the titles suiting your narrative even though you don't have a subscription lol

Like big hairy deal..Is this some major 'gotcha' moment for you..?..You slayed the dragon..?. (you felt compelled to post about it 3 times..?)...I saw some snippets from the article on another site, ..and the title tells it all anyway...I found it funny that a reporter that you guys gush over ,..wrote an article that flies in the face of the standard 'echo chamber' opinion.

Last edited:

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
it just shows that you're desperate to prove yourself right if you're posting articles you didn't even read yourself lmao

it doesn't even fly in the face of the standard echo chamber opinion? i posted that myers was the worst of the three in the playoffs which is not even a debatable point.

you responded with an article about myers from the regular season where Myers performing at a #4 level was better than tanev/stecher's performance who performed at 4/5 levels.

Harman said Myers is a #4D who's being paid like a #1 in that article? Almost as if this board thinks the same?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
People who have said that weren't defending or talking about five years of cap mismanagement. They were talking about this offseason.

Saying he had “no choice” implies that the current cap issues weren’t his fault. Eriksson, Sutter, Spooner buyout, Baer, Beagle, and Roussel are all reasons for the moves made this offseason.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Tyler Myers may or may not of been our best RHD last year, but that does not mean he performed well in a top 4 role this year. It's between him, Stecher and Tanev. Stecher was a bottom pairing D, even if he performed exceptionally in those minutes. That leaves Myers and Tanev. Although Myers played the most ES minutes, he had the fewest ES points of Canucks RHD. Tanev and Myers both had the same GA rates( Tanev really had a down year this year). Myers had more offensive zone starts. I would give a slight edge to Tanev, but both played like low end #4s this year. Honestly the top 4 was bad defensivly last year excluding Edler.

Reactions: Peen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad