Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
We should be looking at a Hamonic type signing if Ferland really goes on LTIR. A solid defensive player that might sign for cheaper due to the market conditions this year. Don't think we should go for a Hoffman over a Hamonic

Reactions: brock hughes007

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not sure which thread to put this in, but does anybody else think they should permanently shorten the season and have the extended play-ins? I think owners would like more "playoff games" and more teams would get them. Thus players would also get more "playoff experience".

I think it would be a really smart way to keep more of the fanbases engaged too. They have to find a way to not allow a lottery winner to make the playoffs though.

What do you think?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Not sure which thread to put this in, but does anybody else think they should permanently shorten the season and have the extended play-ins? I think owners would like more "playoff games" and more teams would get them. Thus players would also get more "playoff experience".

I think it would be a really smart way to keep more of the fanbases engaged too. They have to find a way to not allow a lottery winner to make the playoffs though.

What do you think?

The NBA is doing that for the 20-21 season. 72 game regular season with 7-10 seeds having a playin tournament. Draft lottery usually happens during RD 1 of the playoffs so the losers of the play-in series would've likely been decided.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The NBA is doing that for the 20-21 season. 72 game regular season with 7-10 seeds having a playin tournament. Draft lottery usually happens during RD 1 of the playoffs so the losers of the play-in series would've likely been decided.
I have yet to hear a good reason to not to do this. It seems like a no brainer. I think it would totally boost fan engagement.

Reactions: vancityluongo

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I have yet to hear a good reason to not to do this. It seems like a no brainer. I think it would totally boost fan engagement.
Decisions about and changes to the length and nature of any of the various parts of the season -- preseason, regular season, playoffs, and potentially play-ins -- are almost entirely financial. So whether play-ins would generate more revenue is the only real question.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I’d honestly move assets to dump Sutter/Benn and bring in one year rentals like Hamonic and Granlund. The Canadian Division opens a clear path to the conference finals.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oddsmakers give Holtby a better chance of winning the Vezina than Markstrom..?
2020-21 Vezina Trophy odds: Holtby more likely to win than Markstrom? - Vancouver Is Awesome

Oddsmakers would also probably give PK Subban a better chance of winning the Norris than Quinn Hughes.

Edit : just looked it up and while I can't find odds on either of those two players, Brent Burns somethow has the 4th best odds of winning the Norris this year despite being 35-36 years old and absolutely terrible last season.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Oddsmakers would also probably give PK Subban a better chance of winning the Norris than Quinn Hughes.

Edit : just looked it up and while I can't find odds on either of those two players, Brent Burns somethow has the 4th best odds of winning the Norris this year despite being 35-36 years old and absolutely terrible last season.
If oddsmakers are bad at rating likelyhood of outcomes then there should be easy money to make, right?

Are oddsmaker's role to just give starting odds then the market determines the odds by how much is bet on each outcome? Is it more like a stock exchange that makes money at the margins.
I imagine oddsmaker's are very good at their jobs but if odds change with market sentiment there might be some opportunity for betters.

Nov 1, 2011
Oddsmakers set odds to try and predict market sentiment rather than outcomes.

They're job is to get the payouts to fall as evenly across outcomes as possible.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Yeah Burns really dropped his stock last year. Even HFBoards recognized it and voted him 22nd best dman which could be still a lil high living off reputation as he really had a down season

NHL Dmen Rankings #24

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Those Holtby odds are so bad, especially when he isn't even close to being guaranteed to be the starter. They're just fishing for suckers at that number.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

What do you think?

There is one clear negative and one much smaller one from a business standpoint.

It seems to me that there will be fewer games, so the added interest you mention would need to bring in enough extra revenue to cover for that.

Let's say they cut the season to 78 games, with the top four teams in each conference playing a 3 game round robin for seeding rights, the next eight in each conference playing a best of 5 playin series and the remaining seven teams being done for the season. If the playin series went as this season, averaging four games per series, then the difference in number of games compared with an 82 game regular season and 16 playoff teams:

the 8 teams in the conference round robins would play one game fewer each

the 16 teams in the playin series would average the same number of games

the remaining 8 teams (assuming 2021-2 on, when the league will have 32 teams playing) get 4 fewer games each

All in all when it is finished the NHL will have conducted 20 fewer games. The main problem is with the bottom teams, which would have two fewer home games each without any additional interest to monetize to make up for the decreased revenue.

I don't see this as very important, but planning is harder if this year's system is used, where each round is re-seeded based on which teams are left. That makes it harder (and sometimes more expensive) to plan ahead, as often teams won't know their next opponent until all games in the round are finished. Travel and hotel plans are easier to manage when made ahead of time and on the worst occasions very difficult when made only a couple of days ahead of time. Business-wise it is better to scrap reseeding every-round, but on the other hand the seeding round robins played by the top 8 teams becomes at least a little more important (at least theoretically) if the seeding is done every round.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Anthony Duclair remains unsigned.

Thought at the beginning of FA that he'd be a great fit as a Toffoli replacement, likely at a cheaper cost and term.

With the way the market is going, would love to see the Canucks go after him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anthony Duclair remains unsigned.

Thought at the beginning of FA that he'd be a great fit as a Toffoli replacement, likely at a cheaper cost and term.

With the way the market is going, would love to see the Canucks go after him.

He's played 30 good games in the last 4 years. Awful player when he isn't scoring, and he generally isn't scoring.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
He's played 30 good games in the last 4 years. Awful player when he isn't scoring, and he generally isn't scoring.

He's also played on some horrid teams with some bad linemates. I'd be interested to see what he could do with Bo Horvat as a consistent center over Chris Tierney or Alex Wennberg. There was a stretch when he was first traded to Chicago that he played with Toews and Debrincat IIRC and he looked pretty good, but then he stopped scoring and had his icetime slashed.

At 25, and with the momentum he had through last season, would take Duclair even with his flaws (at the price/term I'd expect him to get) over Granlund or Hoffman, both of whom have been floated around here as potential options.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Duclair sucks.
Winning teams dont have players like duclair in the top 6. And he sucks even more as a bottom 6 player.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I think Duclair could be option if comes in at 1 million or less for year. Just tell him if he busts his ass he can ride shotgun with Petey all year and cash in next year. If he doesn’t hustle send him down no harm no foul other than the owners money

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Brent Burns decline has not been talked about much. The guy is a #3-4 at best rn and an absolute pylon on defense at times.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Why is that?
We switched Schmidt with Tanev who is an upgrade offensively but a downgrade defensively.

Then we lost Stecher who performed like a solid defensive #4.

The bottom pairing is going to be pretty bad and will need to be sheltered.

Then you have Edler being another year older.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We switched Schmidt with Tanev who is an upgrade offensively but a downgrade defensively.

Then we lost Stecher who performed like a solid defensive #4.

The bottom pairing is going to be pretty bad and will need to be sheltered.

Then you have Edler being another year older.
Sounds like you’ve already made your mind up that the 3rd pairing is going to be bad..
The top 4 is the best it’s been in almost a decade..

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The bottom pairing will be made up of a guy who couldn't hold a regular spot in the lineup and lost his spot in the playoffs to Oscar Fantenberg and your choice of a completely unknown rookie. I think it's right to be suspect.

The top 4 as it stands is great, but one injury to it and all of a sudden it looks a lot different.

Reactions: Szechwan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->