Fantasy GM Thread | Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Wouldn't surprise if Banning does Free up cap room he trades cheap for a player like Killorn. I don't think it's a good idea (3 years left and is 31) but he's very much a Benning player.

Overpay after a career year for an aging player??

By god that's Benning's music!

(Aside I do think Killorn is a good player, but absolutely not the piece we need to add right now, considering age + contract).

Reactions: I am toxic

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Vatanen is a solid puck-moving 2nd pair defender and I assume he'd be unanimously seen as far better than Hutton. If the Canucks added him the defence would be significantly improved from last season.

Vatanen's play has fallen further than his reputation. He used to be a very effective 2nd pair puck-mover, but he's really not anymore.

I don't think he's better than Myers (and I'm the furthest thing from a Myers fan lol). I would rather have brought back Stecher. Vatanen serves no purpose on a team with Hughes and Schmidt.

For a depth D option, Koekkoek is the best one out there and wouldn't break the bank at all.

Reactions: Peen

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Overpay after a career year for an aging player??

By god that's Benning's music!

(Aside I do think Killorn is a good player, but absolutely not the piece we need to add right now, considering age + contract).

Agreed. If he only had 1 year left I'd be allover it.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Agreed. If he only had 1 year left I'd be allover it.

Yah, if the cap commitment was a lot lower he'd be a great fit next to Horvat on a tough minutes line, or put him next to Petterson and give Green the flexibility to use Miller to shore up a different line. I have the same opinion of Yanni Gourde, a perfectly useful player, but the contract is tough to swallow.

As it is, cap space is king. I wonder which posters were harping about cap space for all these years?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Wonder if a 2nd+Tyler madden would’ve been enough to pry away a Cirelli from a capped strapped Tampa Team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wonder if a 2nd+Tyler madden would’ve been enough to pry away a Cirelli from a capped strapped Tampa Team.
Nice to get that player, but I’m thinking Madden plays a second would have been more useful as sweetener to dump Loui or (at least) Sutter.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I had concerns about Maddens weight and strength.
He was drafted at 150lbs and three full years later he weighs 152 and being an effective middle sixer is debatable.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Maybe but I think there are questions around Maddens weight but acquiring Cirelli would be a add to our youth core.
He's a top 4 selke candidate this past year at 22 yo and would take a lot of defensive responsible away from EP and Bo at centre .
If we could possibly afford Cirelli then I'd be all for it.
I think maybe another Miller type deal would work and I'd do it because it would make us one of the strongest teams down the middle long term with.
Pettersson
Horvat
Cirelli.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I had concerns about Maddens weight and strength.
He was drafted at 150lbs and three full years later he weighs 152 and being an effective middle sixer is debatable.
I highly doubt that’s his updated and accurate weight

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Watched some tape of the Myers-Hughes pairing and I don't think it can be a full-time pairing. Both guys love to Pinch and the Canucks forwards did a bad job covering and Man oh man is Myers lazy sometimes getting back after a pinch. Canucks really need a sound Defensive Defensemen.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Watched some tape of the Myers-Hughes pairing and I don't think it can be a full-time pairing. Both guys love to Pinch and the Canucks forwards did a bad job covering and Man oh man is Myers lazy sometimes getting back after a pinch. Canucks really need a sound Defensive Defensemen.
Myers is being paid double what he is worth.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I've said it before and I think it was echoed by @Luckylarry in this thread, if they were willing to move madden and a 2nd, those pieces should have gone to clearing salary in the form of, I don't know take a pick of the handful of anchor contracts currently sitting on the cap.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Myers and Hughes were our worst defencemen defensively last year. I've been looking into comparing how good top 4 defencemen are defensively. I've been using the player's GA/60 divided by the team's GA/60. I just used the players GA/60 for bottom pairing defencemen because team strength was not a big factor at all compared to sheltering and ability. For top 4 D it was. Bottom pairing D also almost always are below the team rate too. There was 1 exception this year.

Canucks top 4 D were terrible last year in this metric, excluding Edler. Hughes last year had a player GA/team GA of 1.129. Myers and Tanev both were at 1, although Myers had a more offensive role. You were right @Luckylarry Tanev really did have a down year last year. In his prime he would of been one of the best in the league. Edler the best of the top 4 at 0.935. Schmidt will be a big improvement though, as last year he was a 0.85.

I do worry about the bottom pairing though. Stecher was one of the few defencemen that had a low GA/60 that didn't get it from playing totally sheltered minutes. Benn is not good at preventing goals compared to other bottom pairing D. He had the same GA/60 as Micheal Del Zotto and Luca Sbisa last year, and is one injury away from playing in the top 4.

As an aside. Using this for our forwards, Miller, Pettersson, and Beagle and Motte look good, while Horvat, Boeser, and Gaudette are all above 1.

I haven't done this for every team yet, but I have done the first 8 teams alphabetically and the Canucks. Canucks were the only team that had 3 top 4 D with atleast a 1. Chicago and Calgary had 2 players. Boston, Carolina, and Colorado had 1. These were the players that had higher than 1:

Krug: 1.172
Hanafin: 1.013
Hamonic: 1.11
Gardiner: 1.127
Gustafson: 1.08
Maata: 1.011
Makar: 1.074

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Drance on the Vancast said he thinks/believes Ferland will go on LTIR. Would leave around 2.5-3M for a forward.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Drance on the Vancast said he thinks/believes Ferland will go on LTIR. Would leave around 2.5-3M for a forward.
we do not need a forward..we are a Edler injury from having Jordin Benn or Juolevi in our top 4..Schmidt was a great pick up..But I'm not sold on our defenceman at all...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Would be the dumbest possible signing to spend into LTIR on a forward.

Save it for the deadline at worst.

Creating the space will allow them to be in on taking on salary from other teams.

That’s a much wiser decision than a 2/3 tweener or a guy who bleeds goals against (Hoffman).

I also think people have a fishbowl view of just the Canucks here. Tons of teams have more cap space and tons of teams (Boston to name one) will have a lot more LTIR space than what Ferland will create for Vancouver.

They should take their lumps and run with what they have. I too echo the worry about the defence (it was bad last year too) but that’s the position the team is in.

The lack of cap space is an issue but the dreck locked into roster spots with term is the real problem.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Nucks need more help on the blueline.... Sami Vatanen would be worth a look depending on the price. Would be a solid 2nd pair option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad