Fantasy GM Thread | Drop the Puck Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Lol please don’t make any of these proposals on the main board and make us look really bad. We would be happy to just do Zaitsev with retention and a mid round pick

This is not NHL23
Zaitzsev would cost a 1st or solid prospect just to dump. Rumor coming into the season was that Myers has positive value. Maybe that 1st is a 2nd instead.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Max they could retain is 2.25m but this is about what I would expect.

It's a tricky trade to work out given both are owed for next year, Zaitsev is, somehow, worse than Myers, Myers has a big signing bonus due in the summer, and both players have 10 team NTCs. I have absolutely no idea what the value of Myers is. He was fine the last couple of seasons but has been atrocious this season.

Yup good catch, typo on my side. Too many 2s - fixed.

At least with Zaitsev if you have to buy him out or bury him for a year it's not really a big deal... especially if you can collect an asset in the process.

Reactions: Vector

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
what does swapping myers for zaitsev accomplish for vancouver? unless ottawa are going to include their first (they aren't) it doesn't seem like it fixes anything for vancouver. clearing 1.5 mil in cap isn't significant

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Zaitzsev would cost a 1st or solid prospect just to dump. Rumor coming into the season was that Myers has positive value. Maybe that 1st is a 2nd instead.

Usually I would come out more aggressive and say that you're way off, but there are some factors that could make you correct on this one. I mean, it should have cost the Canucks a draft pick to move on from Hamonic but they got a 3rd back. I have no idea how Ottawa makes these evaluations and it's clear they very much want to add a RHD, so maybe the Canucks have an opportunity to do well in a deal with them.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Garland, Miller and Myers should be moved immediately. I think you could possibly not have to toss in too much they may have some value. OEL is forever, and hope Boeser turns it around. I doubt you can move Pearson, but I'd waive him. Then you basically have to re-sign Horvat and do what you can with what remains.
You know negotiations go both ways right, it could be Horvat doesn't want to be here.
Boeser turnaround? For trade value but a 900K guy can do what he does.

How did the Canucks let G Hellberg slip by the waiver wire or did they?

Never mind, but he might have improved with Clarke enough to get a late pick at the TDL.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
what does swapping myers for zaitsev accomplish for vancouver? unless ottawa are going to include their first (they aren't) it doesn't seem like it fixes anything for vancouver. clearing 1.5 mil in cap isn't significant

I mean, are you purposefully not reading the posts above yours? We have discussed getting an asset/assets back and the probability of Ottawa retaining on Zaitsev. If you have the opportunity to gain 3 million in cap space x 2 years plus grab an asset doesn't that accomplish some things?

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You know negotiations go both ways right, it could be Horvat doesn't want to be here.
Boeser turnaround? For trade value but a 900K guy can do what he does.

How did the Canucks let G Hellberg slip by the waiver wire or did they?

I think if you moved Miller (and other cap-prohibitive veterans), and told Horvat you were committing to a core headlined by him, Pettersson and Hughes ... he'd probably re-sign. It won't be as cheap as it was previously, obviously.

I just think outside of a true tear-it-down rebuild (which I don't think is realistic here yet), your best bet is to jettison all these expensive veterans (Miller, Myers, Pearson, Garland) and use that space to re-build on the fly around Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. In that scenario, you could probably also retain Kuzmenko.

Personally, I'd try to ditch Boeser and Mikheyev as well, but I dunno if that's realistic.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Max they could retain is 2.25m but this is about what I would expect.

It's a tricky trade to work out given both are owed for next year, Zaitsev is, somehow, worse than Myers, Myers has a big signing bonus due in the summer, and both players have 10 team NTCs. I have absolutely no idea what the value of Myers is. He was fine the last couple of seasons but has been atrocious this season.
Myers is a plus 1 player on a team that is minus 11, the same as Hughes.
Having only 4 points that means he has been on the ice for 3 goals AGAINST
Hughes has 12 points meaning he has been on the ice for 11 goals against

Who would replace him? His 20+ minutes per game that is right handed?

The team isn't bad because of him, it is bad because it is a bad mix of teams.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Usually I would come out more aggressive and say that you're way off, but there are some factors that could make you correct on this one. I mean, it should have cost the Canucks a draft pick to move on from Hamonic but they got a 3rd back. I have no idea how Ottawa makes these evaluations and it's clear they very much want to add a RHD, so maybe the Canucks have an opportunity to do well in a deal with them.
It cost us a 2nd to dump Dickinson and all we got back was a crappy #8 dman....

Reactions: m9

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’d imagine Ottawa is on Myers’ list.
Yeah, this all seems moot to discuss unless it's a Schmidt-WPG situation where the guy is so desperate to get out that he'll waive for a team that he originally had on his NTC list.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

+- doesn't exactly work like that, but the Canucks are scoring more at 5v5 with him than without him. He is getting torched on the PK though. He used to be one of our better PKer's.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I mean, are you purposefully not reading the posts above yours? We have discussed getting an asset/assets back and the probability of Ottawa retaining on Zaitsev. If you have the opportunity to gain 3 million in cap space x 2 years plus grab an asset doesn't that accomplish some things?

what asset do you think you are getting back? why are ottawa retaining 2.25 mil on zaitsev and taking on myers at full value and giving up a significant asset?

Reactions: VanillaCoke

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
what asset do you think you are getting back? why are ottawa retaining 2.25 mil on zaitsev and taking on myers at full value and giving up a significant asset?

This is the trade I proposed above:

Myers to Ottawa was one of the rumors in the off-season as they've been going after a RHD the whole time. Were in on Marino, Klingberg, etc. I actually thought that it was probably Ottawa that Myers vetoed a trade to, not the Islanders.

So we'll see.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the actual deal would look like Myers for Zaitsev (2-2.25 million retained) & a 2nd round pick.

Basically, you would be getting a 2nd to take on Zaitsev's contract and they take Myers for free.

Of course, the whole thing relies on Ottawa thinking Myers on a 2 x 6 million dollar contract is around neutral value. If they don't, it won't work. I think they might, though.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
getting a 2nd isn't worth taking on zaitsev even at 50% retained. you may as well just keep myers

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think if you moved Miller (and other cap-prohibitive veterans), and told Horvat you were committing to a core headlined by him, Pettersson and Hughes ... he'd probably re-sign. It won't be as cheap as it was previously, obviously.

I just think outside of a true tear-it-down rebuild (which I don't think is realistic here yet), your best bet is to jettison all these expensive veterans (Miller, Myers, Pearson, Garland) and use that space to re-build on the fly around Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. In that scenario, you could probably also retain Kuzmenko.

Personally, I'd try to ditch Boeser and Mikheyev as well, but I dunno if that's realistic.
To what window? 3 years down the road maybe 5 because they have no depth or enough prospects.

That will just propagate the same issues only with aging stars again, not bad enough to get top picks and not good enough to win because there isn't enough on the team.

Pettersson is 24 years old tomorrow, he was drafted in 2017, 6 years ago and since then two first round picks have been traded so they are missing and the others haven't made that big a dent yet, even Podkilzin was drafted in 2019 4 years ago.

These FA's can see there is no opportunity for success in the playoffs.

Many FA's didn't want to sign in Edmonton until they got Dras and McD, ya the location doesn't help but the team record also hurt.

Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, as long as you don't go down town to the 4 corner's drug legal area, they will even show you how to inject safely, even those that haven't done it before and you can go to one of the vendors down the street for your drug of choice openly being sold.

That said ya it stinks like skunk down there.

But the city apart from the expense is a desirable location for everything. But FA's that want to win don't want to go to a losing team or one that is "building" and still has a ways to go.

There were lots of teams in on Kuzmenko so he will not have any trouble picking his landing spot after showing he can be a force, probably even better on a better team.

Mik can be moved in two years but they might need to keep him.

Without a tear down where are the players coming from? The younger guys under cap control?

Unfortunately the team needs to bottom out AND trade for many many draft picks, get promising enough to sign a few really good FA's with cap space.

Most of the playoff teams window's usually have a few key players under cap control the first or second contracts

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Burroughs.

But otherwise I don’t know why you’re trying to argue using plus minus and advocate keeping an expensive player with a prohibitive caphit on a team going nowhere. Clear the space. Clear the roster spot. Audition Burroughs or someone else. If they can’t handle it, the team has cap space to bring in someone else.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Im thinking something big with the Blues..

1-3 moves, that land you both Faulk and Parayko, maybe even ROR.
Moving out Myers and Boeser, possibly Garlic.

Do it early enough in the season, where if it all fails, you can still flip at the deadline to recover lost picks.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Disagree, but fair enough

that's basically what vancouver paid to move dickinson -- a productive nhler. zaitsev is total deadweight. even if he's buried at 2.25 mil there's a 1.125 mil cap hit the team will need to carry. if you are gonna do that kind of deal retain the 1.125 mil on myers and angle for a better return than a 2nd

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
that's basically what vancouver paid to move dickinson -- a productive nhler. zaitsev is total deadweight. even if he's buried at 2.25 milp there's a 1.125 mil cap hit the team will need to carry. if you are gonna do that kind of deal retain the 1.125 mil on myers and angle for a better return than a 2nd
What about if it ended up being Zaitsev, 2nd in 23 & Bernard-Docker?

Z is to balance the cap, 2nd + JBD for Myers is decent value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad