Fantasy GM Thread | Drop the Puck Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Here's the exact quotes.

Riccio: Is there a point where setting yourself up for next season becomes a priority?

Rutherford: Yes there will be point where we do that. And I also think there will be a point where we start to talk...you know, there's certain players that you can't trade because people aren't interested in them. So maybe we're going to get to a point where we're gonna have to take a look at trading one or two players that, in the offseason, we would never consider doing. Now the only way we would do that is to trade that player and get something in return that we can at least stay the same as we are now and couple more younger assets. That's what I talk about when I say build. It's not necessarily a total tear down and rebuild. We just keep building piece by piece by piece. We'd all like to...it's like doing a puzzle, we'd all like to put all those 1000 of pieces on the table and fit the most important pieces in first. But it doesn't work that way. Each piece by piece at some point will make sense for what we're trying to do.

Shah: Is it your goal to have the capspace, have extra draft picks?

Rutherford: That's going to be the goal going into next offseason. That we would acquire more younger assets. Whether that's young players, draft picks, and open up cap space. That's going to be the tough thing to unravel. We've tried to do it since last January. And, but, the players that become the obvious ones, that aren't going to be here long term, there's not necessarily a return or players(sic) willing to take them. You know, the Chicago deal. We had Dickinson. It was a cap move. We had to put a draft pick in there. It was an absolute must at that point in time. So we could at least work with a 23-man roster. But we're going to look to make bigger deals than that and open up a lot more cap space so we can be involved in some of the talks for some of the players that will be available next offseason. Or prior to that! I don't want people to take this the wrong way and think we're just pushing it off to next offseason. I mean, we're willing to do something right now if something's available.
I'm encouraged by the words but it'll take the appropriate actions to get buy in...I'm also not sold on how much of a "must" the Dickinson trade was...JR has a history of being a wheeler and dealer, but I don't have a lot of confidence in his trade "win/loss" record.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm encouraged by the words but it'll take the appropriate actions to get buy in...I'm also not sold on how much of a "must" the Dickinson trade was...JR has a history of being a wheeler and dealer, but I don't have a lot of confidence in his trade "win/loss" record.

They are very much at the “put up or shut up” phase. Lots of big talk last season about making hard decisions where ultimately nothing was accomplished. Now we’re quickly approaching another lost season.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
They are very much at the “put up or shut up” phase. Lots of big talk last season about making hard decisions where ultimately nothing was accomplished. Now we’re quickly approaching another lost season.

People often have been saying lost season, but I don't know if this was ever going to be anything but. I mean that in the best case scenario I think Management, thought this was a bubble team. This is just where we are.

Reactions: MarkMM and andora

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
People often have been saying lost season, but I don't know if this was ever going to be anything but. I mean that in the best case scenario I think Management, thought this was a bubble team. This is just where we are.

I feel every season should very obviously be accomplishing something. Whether it’s integrating new players, establishing a new system, or a new coach, there should always be a larger goal. Regular season games are a resource.

As an example, last season should have been a lost season but Boudreau was brought in and we saw significant growth from Pettersson. That’s huge.

Management has been very hesitant to make significant moves, for whatever reason. If they don’t do anything between now and the deadline* then that’s a pretty large amount of games wasted where valuable information can be gleamed.

*assuming they don’t go on a winning streak that pulls them back into the race.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He also made a point that they are willing to make moves right now and doesn’t want to be misinterpreted as waiting until the deadline or off-season to make these moves.

Every team is ready to make moves right now that improve the team. It's a motherhood statement GMs throw about.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I feel every season should very obviously be accomplishing something. Whether it’s integrating new players, establishing a new system, or a new coach, there should always be a larger goal. Regular season games are a resource.

As an example, last season should have been a lost season but Boudreau was brought in and we saw significant growth from Pettersson. That’s huge.

Management has been very hesitant to make significant moves, for whatever reason. If they don’t do anything between now and the deadline* then that’s a pretty large amount of games wasted where valuable information can be gleamed.

I think that is using examples like that you can always find them at the end of the season. I mean most likely this season we can say wow Kuze sure fit in, or something like that.

I would agree you always want to see it, but I just think you can also almost always find it.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
I hadn't played or done fantasy hockey in over 20 years but this was the team that I came up with. Any thoughts? Strengths? Weaknesses?

E-Kane-J.Hughes-V-Nikhushkin
A.Burakovsky-P.Danault-A.Tuch
C-Jarnkrok-B.Jenner-F.Vatrano
Z.Aston-Reese-N.Cousins-C.Perry

J.Morrisey-R.Pulock
S.Girard-J.Marino
B.McNabb-I.Lyubushkin

J.Gibson
S.Wedgewood

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I hadn't played or done fantasy hockey in over 20 years but this was the team that I came up with. Any thoughts? Strengths? Weaknesses?

E-Kane-J.Hughes-V-Nikhushkin
A.Burakovsky-P.Danault-A.Tuch
C-Jarnkrok-B.Jenner-F.Vatrano
Z.Aston-Reese-N.Cousins-C.Perry

J.Morrisey-R.Pulock
S.Girard-J.Marino
B.McNabb-I.Lyubushkin

J.Gibson
S.Wedgewood
Replace Gibson with an actually good starting goalie. He gets exposed when moving side to side, teams with good puck movement feast on him.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Replace Gibson with an actually good starting goalie. He gets exposed when moving side to side, teams with good puck movement feast on him.
Thanks man! I tried to trade up for Shesterkin but got told to go back to Africa (and I'm not even black!).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Zub wont re sign. Myers likes ottawa. Zub and Mikheyevs friendship comes to light now that they arent provincial rivals. Zub likes whistler.

Sigh

a-man-can-dream-though-sigh.gif

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

So far this year it looks to be harder to be to distant from a PO spot but there are some teams that are separating themselves significantly.

Definitely it is a WC spot, top 3 teams in each division seem to be pulling away

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So far this year it looks to be harder to be to distant from a PO spot but there are some teams that are separating themselves significantly.

Definitely it is a WC spot, top 3 teams in each division seem to be pulling away

Every year, when the playoffs start to look out of reach, I create a spreadsheet to figure out what the Canucks need to do to remain in the race. Here's what I have for this year.

1) I am making the assumption that 95 points is "safe" for a playoff spot, or at least close to contention
2) Many teams seem to have 7 OT losses so I have that as the number to hit in terms of pace

In order to hit 95 points they needed to go 42-25-5 for 89 points after October. That works out to the following pace, per month, for the rest oft he season.

Nov. 8-5-1 17pts
Dec. 7-5-1 15pts
Jan. 8-4-1 17pts
Feb. 6-4-1 13pts
Mar. 9-5-1 19pts
Apr. 4-3-0 8pts

Obviously those numbers can shift around quite a bit but that's, more or less, what they have to do.

Reactions: theguardianII

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I wonder if there's a deal to be had with Boston that looks something like

To BOS: Garland
To VAN: Smith, Reilly + futures

Canucks clear long-term cap space, Bruins clear space for this season and add a legit ES weapon to the top 9, Reilly tries to rebuild his career in Van (god knows we have the opportunity).

Reactions: timw33

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if there's a deal to be had with Boston that looks something like

To BOS: Garland
To VAN: Smith, Reilly + futures

Canucks clear long-term cap space, Bruins clear space for this season and add a legit ES weapon to the top 9, Reilly tries to rebuild his career in Van (god knows we have the opportunity).
Deals like this should have been the approach last year, but the futures would have to be really good regardless.

You take one or two years of hits and trade good players back to win now teams. The futures added would be really good considering they’re adding a good player plus dumping a lot of cap.

Like if the Sat rumors of LAK offering a 2nd for Garland are true, and you paid a 2nd to dump Dickinson while still taking minor cap dump back, you should be able to churn significant value to around whatever 3 2nds accumulates to.

They can’t really do that anymore now. Management seems to be talking about how they might have to start thinking about next year. Things seem to be more day by day than I suspected they would be.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Deals like this should have been the approach last year, but the futures would have to be really good regardless.

You take one or two years of hits and trade good players back to win now teams. The futures added would be really good considering they’re adding a good player plus dumping a lot of cap.
I agree we should have been doing this last year, but I'm not sure why it shouldn't be the strategy now. Best time to plant a tree, etc.

Has Mike Reilly ever actually been good?

Also, Garland is very good. Those futures would have to be very enticing to take on two salary dumps and one of them has term.

Reilly has been a solid middle pair, two-way defenseman basically since 2018-19.

Garland is good, but he's a winger. Good wingers lack trade value. But you're right, with the cap dumps coming back, I am thinking a 1st round pick or a prospect like Lohrei or Lysell.

(You could also get something minor for Smith at the deadline, I am certain).

Reactions: Vector

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
reilly is available for free right now. trading garland for him is effectively admitting garland has no value

Reactions: canuckking1

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sat said he asked around the org and the answer he got was that there was nothing imminent or close.

650 around 2:10 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad