Fantasy GM Thread | Drop the Puck Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This is the trade I proposed above:

Basically, you would be getting a 2nd to take on Zaitsev's contract and they take Myers for free.

Of course, the whole thing relies on Ottawa thinking Myers on a 2 x 6 million dollar contract is around neutral value. If they don't, it won't work. I think they might, though.
So they’d be essentially paying Myers $6m + $2.25m and give up a 2nd?

Myers for $8.25m and they pay a 2nd…..

I think we’re losing the plot here guys.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
that's basically what vancouver paid to move dickinson -- a productive nhler. zaitsev is total deadweight. even if he's buried at 2.25 mil there's a 1.125 mil cap hit the team will need to carry. if you are gonna do that kind of deal retain the 1.125 mil on myers and angle for a better return than a 2nd

My thought would be that Myers is overpaid by a couple of million anyway, so taking Zaitsev's reduced salary kind of saws that off.

Maybe Myers is worth more than that, I don't know. It's hard to make deals where you dump cap, so my thought is you get what you can and move on.

But it would be part of a greater picture to me. You would free up a that money now so that you have flexibility to make some other moves for this season and next. Maybe you can trade Conor Garland's contract for a bigger contract with 1 or 2 year left and another asset. I would like to start turning these 3/4/5 year commitments into 1/2 year commitments, even if those contracts are worse short-term.

Reactions: andora and Lindgren

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So they’d be essentially paying Myers $6m + $2.25m and give up a 2nd?

Myers for $8.25m and they pay a 2nd…..

I think we’re losing the plot here guys.

I mean.. no?

From their standpoint, they're paying a 2nd for us to take on 5 million of Zaitsev's salary. Totally reasonable. Then, they're grabbing Myers for 2 x 6 million.

But it's kind of funny that some people here think that proposal is way too much and other people think it's way too low.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
But it's kind of funny that some people here think that proposal is way too much and other people think it's way too low.

A big part of a thing I’m working on is because fans really don’t have any understanding of trade value. Which makes sense since there’s so many determining factors that make a trade come together.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
By or at TDL:
1. Horvat
2. Schenn
3. Kuz

That's the minimum.

Myers if you can. If not, offseason.

I'd trade Boeser but his value is zilch. Same with Pearson.

Garland potentially gone if a) can find a taker b) return is decent. 50/50 on that one.

Rathbone is trending as a trade candidate even with the lack on defensemen.

Hoglander potentially gone depending on which and how many forwards dealt. But would need to be the r(hd) deal.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
A big part of a thing I’m working on is because fans really don’t have any understanding of trade value. Which makes sense since there’s so many determining factors that make a trade come together.

I feel like this is a personal attack since you didn't like my Garland, Rathbone and a 2nd for Noah Dobson proposal.

Okay, okay how about this: JT Miller, Rathbone and a 2nd for Owen Power. Logic....Buffalo gets 2 whole players!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I guess it just depends how you quantify it. As a fan, I think it's just as true that certain teams/GMs don't have an understanding of trade value... especially if you've been watching the Canucks operate the last decade.

I look at OEL for example - were the fans that off in his trade value (which should have been negative 2 or 3 1st round picks) or was it just one team was off on trade value. Was Travis Hamonic worth a 3rd rounder, or did Ottawa just have the wrong trade value?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I mean.. no?

From their standpoint, they're paying a 2nd for us to take on 5 million of Zaitsev's salary. Totally reasonable. Then, they're grabbing Myers for 2 x 6 million.

I don’t believe Theres much of a gulf between Myers and Zaitsev. I also don’t see how essentially having Myers at 2 x $8.25m makes a lick of sense to Ottawa. Let alone paying assets for it. But I’m not a big TM guy.

The people who think it’s too low have bought into the Rangers dumping Nemeth as the going rate. I don’t. I view it as a rushed move. Same as Calgary dumping Monahan.

Or the Canucks dumping Dickinson to get cap compliant before the season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don’t believe Theres much of a gulf between Myers and Zaitsev. I also don’t see how essentially having Myers at 2 x $8.25m makes a lick of sense to Ottawa. Let alone paying assets for it. But I’m not a big TM guy.

The people who think it’s too low have bought into the Rangers dumping Nemeth as the going rate. I don’t. I view it as a rushed move. Same as Calgary dumping Monahan.

I mean, the obvious premise in all of this is that Ottawa values Myers as a decent upgrade on Zaitsev. If they don't, there's nothing there.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

both dickinson and nemeth had to happen for cap reasons. dickinson so vancouver could submit a realistic roster and nemeth so the rangers could sign kaapo and trochek

the economics are way different when teams are under pressure to make a move

Reactions: 4Twenty

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
both dickinson and nemeth had to happen for cap reasons. dickinson so vancouver could submit a realistic roster and nemeth so the rangers could sign kaapo and trochek

the economics are way different when teams are under pressure to make a move
That’s true, but teams are always almost under pressure when they pay to get rid of cap space. If they weren’t under any pressure then they wouldn’t make the deal.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
That’s true, but teams are always almost under pressure when they pay to get rid of cap space. If they weren’t under any pressure then they wouldn’t make the deal.

sure but the price is proportionate to the pressure. the rangers were going to have an issue with kaapo and miss out on trochek so they paid a high price. vancouver were going to have to submit a 21 player roster so they paid a high price (too high, imo. they could have put dermott on ltir). calgary needed to sign weegar and huberdeau so they paid a high price. is ottawa so hot for myers that they'll pay to get rid of zaitsev? i guess it depends on the alternatives

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Im thinking something big with the Blues..

1-3 moves, that land you both Faulk and Parayko, maybe even ROR.
Moving out Myers and Boeser, possibly Garlic.

Do it early enough in the season, where if it all fails, you can still flip at the deadline to recover lost picks.
Miller would fit that team and in the same cap structure they already have especially if O'Reilly or Taresenko move on and Taresenko has stated he wants out in the past.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sign Burroughs asap to a low aav for a couple years.

Yeah we want to rebuild, but Burroughs is a guy you keep around for a rebuild.
Burroughs & Bear are prime candidates for 3-5yr value aav deals.

While also selling high on Schenn and other vets for more guys who are similar candidates, fwds/D, and more draft picks.
Asap.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
getting a 2nd isn't worth taking on zaitsev even at 50% retained. you may as well just keep myers
that's basically what vancouver paid to move dickinson -- a productive nhler. zaitsev is total deadweight. even if he's buried at 2.25 mil there's a 1.125 mil cap hit the team will need to carry. if you are gonna do that kind of deal retain the 1.125 mil on myers and angle for a better return than a 2nd
Are you saying retain that on myers and try for a return with or without zaitsev involved?

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
To Calgary: Boeser, Demko, Bear, 2nd
To Canucks: Toffoli, Markstrom, Tanev

Flames get younger while not losing too much in the way of talent while the Canucks get their leadership back.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Are you saying retain that on myers and try for a return with or without zaitsev involved?

i mean if you're going to take zaitsev back and only get a 2nd out of it in a myers deal you should at least try to move myers somewhere else with some small retention and see if you can get better than a 2nd and not get stuck with zaitsev

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Each of the Blues players should net a 1st from a playoff bound team at the deadline. Basically look to beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad