Fantasy GM Thread | Allvin and the Chipmunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I read that earlier too and it hasn't been updated. It's wrong.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So Rutherford said he isnt making any trades before Free Agency and they basically failed to create cap space to do anything significant to change the team and are still even working on re-signing JT Miller. Rutherford pretty much declares that that they have failed this off-season so far.

Big Yikes.. The honeymoon phase is over and the fans will turn on these guys soon....

Why did we even fire Benning if Rutherford and Allvin's plan is to keep the same team Benning built.

Terrible off-season so far for Rutherford and Co.

I think they're finding out that Benning's crap team full of crap contracts is more difficult to change than they expected.

On one hand, yeah, it would be great to move out the $5.3 million in garbage contracts to Dickinson and Poolman for a start. But on the other hand, that is going to cost significant assets and we're already talking about how totally gutted the system is right now from Benning's previous moves. And I understand where they want to be building that up and not pissing away more 2nd rounders clearing out junk.

I do think they made a significant mistake in not being more aggressive at the deadline. We heard them say that the market would be just as good at the draft and that was a very, very bad read. That never happens and it's put them in a tough spot.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He didn’t get the nickname Trader Jim by being passive.
I mean some of his trades have been head scratchers for his previous teams but he wasn’t brought in here to be a conservative GM. While we might not love all his moves I doubt very much if he is going to be a status quo GM.
Patience. Free agency hasn’t even started.

He said he isnt making any trades before Free Agency, ( aka to open up cap space, or Miller Trade)

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Guaranteed aquilini is against retention on Miller

constant buyouts and LTIR = Fine, thats the cost of doing business and everyone makes mistakes.
----
retention = Gasp

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So? Free Agency starts tomorrow.

So their main goal was to make trades and get out of contracts and have more space at Free Agnecy and theyve waved the white flag on that and said basically they failed. that has nothing to do with " be patient be patient"

Teams have cap space now before Free Agency, they will have less after, which will make it even more harder to move guys like Myers, Pearson, Dickenson, Poolman etc...

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Danton Heinen would be a very savvy signing for the bottom six. He can produce even strength points in limited minutes and will likely be cheap.

Max Domi would be another interesting option, I wonder if he would be willing to sign a cheap 1 year 'show me' contract with the Canucks.

Reactions: sting101

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I think they're finding out that Benning's crap team full of crap contracts is more difficult to change than they expected.

On one hand, yeah, it would be great to move out the $5.3 million in garbage contracts to Dickinson and Poolman for a start. But on the other hand, that is going to cost significant assets and we're already talking about how totally gutted the system is right now from Benning's previous moves. And I understand where they want to be building that up and not pissing away more 2nd rounders clearing out junk.

I do think they made a significant mistake in not being more aggressive at the deadline. We heard them say that the market would be just as good at the draft and that was a very, very bad read. That never happens and it's put them in a tough spot.

This feels like a pretty weak realization from them though. It's not like they were hired right before the deadline; they had 4 months as an evaluation period leading into the deadline, and over 6 months since being hired heading into the draft.

Like, what was happening during the evaluation period if they weren't calling around to gauge the league wide appetite of their assets? Watching hockey games??

Yes, we're better off not pulling a Benning and dumping more assets to get rid of guys like Dickinson and Pearson (although I strongly suspect he has positive value) just to get short-term relief. We know they've received offers on Myers - but they think those will be higher as the term on his contract gets shorter. Maybe - he could also regress big time after a fairly positive season and go back to having negative value.

We'll see what they do on Miller, but like you and others have said, it'd be inexcusable for that situation to drag on into training camp.

Reactions: God and pitseleh

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
For me...Right now, I'm not concerned...Miller is still a guy who I think GM's will still be willing to give up a good return to get him...there are enough teams that have windows open that will be closing in short order (and some who are pretenders who are desperate), Kadri is the main piece available...once he falls into place Miller's stock will rise...Malkin will be the secondary piece, but he's hardly someone a "risk averse" GM will want to count on. Miller is stable, he's not high maintenance, he doesn't miss a lot of games and he's a gamer night in and night out. A smart GM will cough up for reliability. If Kadri goes to the Rangers (and part of me hopes he does), IMO, there are still Washington, Pittsburgh (ugh), Dallas, New Jersey, the Islanders and probably another stealth team or two who could be interested in Miller...all it takes is two to get into a bidding war...so for now, I don't see a lot of reason to be concerned...if we go late into the summer with no movement, I'll adjust.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This feels like a pretty weak realization from them though. It's not like they were hired right before the deadline; they had 4 months as an evaluation period leading into the deadline, and over 6 months since being hired heading into the draft.

Like, what was happening during the evaluation period if they weren't calling around to gauge the league wide appetite of their assets? Watching hockey games??

Yes, we're better off not pulling a Benning and dumping more assets to get rid of guys like Dickinson and Pearson (although I strongly suspect he has positive value) just to get short-term relief. We know they've received offers on Myers - but they think those will be higher as the term on his contract gets shorter. Maybe - he could also regress big time after a fairly positive season and go back to having negative value.

We'll see what they do on Miller, but like you and others have said, it'd be inexcusable for that situation to drag on into training camp.

I think they got burnt by 'PLAYOFF CHASE!' and the notion that maybe it would be good for the morale of the group to go for it, and kicked the can forward to the draft and convinced themselves they could still make the same moves then.

And as we can see, the market is dead. Pearson would have had value at the deadline, but now we're stuck in a market where a Rudolfs Balcers - who has put up similar numbers to Pearson over the past two years, is 25, and only was scheduled to make $1.5 million - is a buyout.

Teams are just sitting waiting for UFA, and clearing out cap for pennies on the dollar to have more money to spend on UFA. Why pay premium assets for a JT Miller when you can just sign a Giroux or Kadri or Malkin for nothing?

We'll see if things shift when we shift over to the 2nd week of UFA and some teams have been stuck without a chair when the music stopped.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Danton Heinen would be a very savvy signing for the bottom six. He can produce even strength points in limited minutes and will likely be cheap.

Max Domi would be another interesting option, I wonder if he would be willing to sign a cheap 1 year 'show me' contract with the Canucks.

There are some interesting depth options at UFA forward, would love it if we could get rid of Pearson to try one of them. Otherwise there's not really any space unless it's a 4th line guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think this exactly what they are banking on. The problem, for us as fans, is that they've seemingly miscalculated the market every other time so our confidence should not be very high.

There's also the problem that even if this happens and they can clear out some big-ticket items a week from now ... all the guys they would have liked to re-invest that cap space into will probably be gone.

Reactions: Vector

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think this exactly what they are banking on. The problem, for us as fans, is that they've seemingly miscalculated the market every other time so our confidence should not be very high.

I'm less concerned about them misjudging the market (not NOT concerned, just less concerned), and more concerned that they're willing to put aside their game plan, because enacting it is "not fair" to the players. Either the team can compete for the cup, or it can't...if it can't the players should understand that they're subject to changes, and there was nothing to indicate that the team they iced was a cup contender.

Reactions: Vector and Lindgren

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
There are some interesting depth options at UFA forward, would love it if we could get rid of Pearson to try one of them. Otherwise there's not really any space unless it's a 4th line guy.

Canucks won't be able to trade Pearson or Dickinson at this point unless they give up an asset.

It's best to look at quality depth that can produce even strength points in limited minutes, also something to note is their shooting percentage needs to be in the average range otherwise their past season was an anamoly.

Current line-up:
Pearson-Miller-Garland
Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Horvat-Kuzmenko
xxxxx-Dickinson-Lockwood

Canucks will likely be targeting players like Heinen, Domi, Svechnikov, Kase. I also hope they sign Poturalski, he would be great for Abbotsford and possibly a 4th line role.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
There's also the problem that even if this happens and they can clear out some big-ticket items a week from now ... all the guys they would have liked to re-invest that cap space into will probably be gone.
If the plan is a subtle tank then it’s a masterful performance

Reactions: Lindgren

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Just have to wait until we find out whats happening with Kadri, and Gaudreau for the most part. Maybe Malkin. NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, CAL, COL, WASH, PITT are all in need. Then theres team who will be poking around like NSH, CLB, DAL,CAR

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think they got burnt by 'PLAYOFF CHASE!' and the notion that maybe it would be good for the morale of the group to go for it, and kicked the can forward to the draft and convinced themselves they could still make the same moves then.

And as we can see, the market is dead. Pearson would have had value at the deadline, but now we're stuck in a market where a Rudolfs Balcers - who has put up similar numbers to Pearson over the past two years, is 25, and only was scheduled to make $1.5 million - is a buyout.

Teams are just sitting waiting for UFA, and clearing out cap for pennies on the dollar to have more money to spend on UFA. Why pay premium assets for a JT Miller when you can just sign a Giroux or Kadri or Malkin for nothing?

We'll see if things shift when we shift over to the 2nd week of UFA and some teams have been stuck without a chair when the music stopped.

This is why I'm hesitant on keeping JT Miller past September. You can maybe get 1st round pick at the 2023 TDL but then you are potentially faced with the prospect of being in a playoff spot and then being forced to hold OR having JT Miller's play suffer via injury or sulking which would negate any meaningful return.

It sucks because JT Miller will likely lead the 2023 FA class and get top bucks (assuming Pastanak, MacKinnon and Larkin get reupped by their clubs). Their camp must know this and have no real urgency to get any extension done right now.

You have a great player, but every possible circumstance right now is hindering any positive return - but I don't feel this comes down to bad luck or anything. This was a unforced error by management by hedging their bets on a possible #8 playoff spot against Colorado which wouldn't have ended well anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
This is why I'm hesitant on keeping JT Miller past September. You can maybe get 1st round pick at the 2023 TDL but then you are potentially faced with the prospect of being in a playoff spot and then being forced to hold OR having JT Miller's play suffer via injury or sulking which would negate any meaningful return.

It sucks because JT Miller will likely lead the 2023 FA class and get top bucks (assuming Pastanak, MacKinnon and Larkin get reupped by their clubs). Their camp must know this and have no real urgency to get any extension done right now.

Double edged sword...if Miller has a bad year, or gets injured his value will drop...his value has never been higher than right now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

You have a great player, but every possible circumstance right now is hindering any positive return - but I don't feel this comes down to bad luck or anything. This was a forced error by management by hedging their bets on a possible #8 playoff spot against Colorado which wouldn't have ended well anyways.

If JT Miller is here at the start of training camp, it's probably 95% that we lose him for nothing.

This team is unlikely to not be in the realistic chase for a playoff spot at the deadline and if that's the case it's highly unlikely they move him.

He has to be gone in the next 2 weeks. If he isn't, it's pretty much a disaster. I'm not pushing the panic button right now, but I am pushing the 'quite concerned' button.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I get that they waited for a better deal, but looks like they got too greedy and missed it. I now also get not wanting to sell low but I wonder when we get to the point of better late than never

Significant mistake if I am reading this right, nothing compared to Bennings bozo standard but it is concerning we have to constantly say 'well at least its not Benning'

An old shoe is better than Benning

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Just have to wait until we find out whats happening with Kadri, and Gaudreau for the most part. Maybe Malkin. NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, CAL, COL, WASH, PITT are all in need. Then theres team who will be poking around like NSH, CLB, DAL,CAR

Yep, and hope that most of the sought after high end forwards sign with non-factor teams like PHI, SEA, DET, NJD, etc leaving a desperate mass of teams.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Yep. Teams interested in Miller now.. why would they give up assets now if they can acquire something similar in FA for free(minus bad contract). As soon as those are gone, then Miller action should pick up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad