Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The team doesn’t need the distraction. It will be a nightmare for all parties

Move Schenn for Stetcher. Insanity
Why is it insanity?

I've liked Schenn in both of his tenures here but he's not some irreplaceable piece, seems like decent asset management for the team to sell high on him.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
That’s a long time away.

You have a firm grasp of the ebbs and flows of the market. With Kadri Giroux Malkin Trocheck Copp even. Nobody is gonna pay the price it’s the reality.

But once the pieces get diced up things completely change again. Just gonna have to wait and see. Deadline Giroux got 1st 3rd Tippett so even as a 1yr solution for say Carolina in a arms race they can abstract that NYR offer value. Agree it would have to be done before the deadline to rid the playoff let down narrative.

I wouldn’t blink for a second….Miller is one of the best assets in the NHL right now
Unfortunately for the Canucks, I don’t think other teams value Miller as much as you. If they did, he would be gone by now

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Why is it insanity?

I've liked Schenn in both of his tenures here but he's not some irreplaceable piece, seems like decent asset management for the team to sell high on him.
Schenn brings leadership and toughness. Two things that are almost non existent on this team. Stetcher is a dime a dozen player that wouldn’t be mentioned if he wasn’t from Richmond

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That’s a long time away.

You have a firm grasp of the ebbs and flows of the market. With Kadri Giroux Malkin Trocheck Copp even. Nobody is gonna pay the price it’s the reality.

But once the pieces get diced up things completely change again. Just gonna have to wait and see. Deadline Giroux got 1st 3rd Tippett so even as a 1yr solution for say Carolina in a arms race they can abstract that NYR offer value. Agree it would have to be done before the deadline to rid the playoff let down narrative.

I wouldn’t blink for a second….Miller is one of the best assets in the NHL right now

If Miller is on the team next year, it is going to be an absolute mess. And I do agree that that bad NYR package would be appropriate for a rental ... but he won't get traded at the deadline if they've come that far and are still in the playoffs.

Might as well just take the 'deadline price' now and move forward. And who knows - it might be better than that if someone gets panicky after getting left out of the UFA frenzy.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Both undersized and a poor fit..Hughes is not the easiest player to pair with..Tanev and Schenn have been the best fit so far..Its a pointless conversation because it would never happen...Move on.
main-qimg-bb586ebf4aec5d1669f80fa7949d5880-c.jpeg

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Stecher would be a excellent 3/4RD with Poolman to step up when Myers and Schenn get hurt or need some minutes relief. Doubt they both can replicate last season and Poolman should not be in the top4 with his passing. His minutes need to stay down from what I’ve seen to be effective

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Stecher would be a excellent 3/4RD with Poolman to step up when Myers and Schenn get hurt or need some minutes relief. Doubt they both can replicate last season and Poolman should not be in the top4 with his passing. His minutes need to stay down from what I’ve seen to be effective
We need more RHD who can play significant ES/PK minutes.. not more guys who you ideally want playing less than 20 minutes. We already have 5 of those on the right side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Stecher a lot. Should have never gotten rid of him. I just think it makes no sense with our current roster construction for him to be a priority.

Holy shit I forgot we had Dermott too

Reactions: me2

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Schenn brings leadership and toughness. Two things that are almost non existent on this team. Stetcher is a dime a dozen player that wouldn’t be mentioned if he wasn’t from Richmond
I don't know how people could have watched Stecher play here for years and act like he doesn't bring toughness. He's very willing to engage physically with other players and it's not like he's even that "small" - he's pretty stocky for someone of his height. And he also has way more mobility than Schenn, and Rutherford did mention wanting better puck movement out of the defense.

I'm not mentioning him because he's from Richmond, but it's fair to check in with a player who has a reason to sign more cheaply here.

The other thing this does is open up the ability to move Myers with retention. Stecher actually outperformed Myers a lot of the time while he was here and I'd like to see what he could do under NHL quality coaching.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schenn is going to be a super valuable trade deadline piece IMO.

... if he maintains he level of play.

He's already an outlier as a slow-as-f*** defender who had a career year at age 32. Every year going forward is going to be another stretch and at some point it's going to fall apart.

Stecher-Hughes would probably be a great pairing that worked terrifically, but no NHL coach would ever do it of ingrained biases.

Reactions: Vector and timw33

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You can get "trade deadline" value for Schenn right now since he's super cheap - the market is already there.

I don't think they have any interest in trading him though, unfortunately. The team is soft as hell as it is and moving Miller/Schenn/etc would probably make it the softest in the league.

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The other thing is that Schenn has been absolute dogshit for the majority of his career and it just so happens that two of his few good stretches of play in his career have come here so it probably skews fan perception of him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
... if he maintains he level of play.

He's already an outlier as a slow-as-f*** defender who had a career year at age 32. Every year going forward is going to be another stretch and at some point it's going to fall apart.

Stecher-Hughes would probably be a great pairing that worked terrifically, but no NHL coach would ever do it of ingrained biases.

I was surprised they didnt try and move him retained to some cap stapped contender for a 2nd or a pair of 3rds or something.

Definitely felt like the peak of his value when he was getting 4 hits a game and making the boards rattle (direct correlation with cup wins).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was surprised they didnt try and move him retained to some cap stapped contender for a 2nd or a pair of 3rds or something.

Definitely felt like the peak of his value when he was getting 4 hits a game and making the boards rattle (direct correlation with cup wins).

At the time I was hedging toward 'we need some veterans and leadership to steady the ship a bit moving forward, and some toughness somewhere in this weak lineup' but in hindsight ... if we could have pulled in some top-100 picks for him, we should have taken it.

Schenn with Hughes reminds me of guys like Klatt and Pyatt with the Sedins. It's a nice popular veteran security blanket, but it's blocking the way of a true breakout and long-term solution.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If Miller is on the team next year, it is going to be an absolute mess. And I do agree that that bad NYR package would be appropriate for a rental ... but he won't get traded at the deadline if they've come that far and are still in the playoffs.

Might as well just take the 'deadline price' now and move forward. And who knows - it might be better than that if someone gets panicky after getting left out of the UFA frenzy.
No more mess than Pietrangelo and Gaudreau in their last seasons in StL and Cgy

Hockeys a business JT isn’t gonna be unprofessignal about it and sabotage his time here. Half dozen players plus every year are getting axed by their current teams or leaving for free agency

Have to let free agency take its course. The big names are probably all spoken for almost at this point. Once that’s done JT is the last huge impact piece on the market and teams have already been weighting the pros and cons of long term UFA deals vs JT and 1yr or the extension trade.

I don't know how people could have watched Stecher play here for years and act like he doesn't bring toughness. He's very willing to engage physically with other players and it's not like he's even that "small" - he's pretty stocky for someone of his height. And he also has way more mobility than Schenn, and Rutherford did mention wanting better puck movement out of the defense.

I'm not mentioning him because he's from Richmond, but it's fair to check in with a player who has a reason to sign more cheaply here.

The other thing this does is open up the ability to move Myers with retention. Stecher actually outperformed Myers a lot of the time while he was here and I'd like to see what he could do under NHL quality coaching.
Great post

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Just go full futures deal, Use the cap space and replace him.
They overplayed their hand, It happens, time to move forward.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No more mess than Pietrangelo and Gaudreau in their last seasons in StL and Cgy

Hockeys a business JT isn’t gonna be unprofessignal about it and sabotage his time here. Half dozen players plus every year are getting axed by their current teams or leaving for free agency

Have to let free agency take its course. The big names are probably all spoken for almost at this point. Once that’s done JT is the last huge impact piece on the market and teams have already been weighting the pros and cons of long term UFA deals vs JT and 1yr or the extension trade.

Great post

There was never a thought that Pietrangelo or Gaudreau would be traded. Those teams were all-in, and were elite teams on the ice.

There has already been a 7-month circus around Miller and the team isn't going to be very good. Totally different situation.

I would agree that if we are tracking for a 110+ point season mid-way through, that would kill the Miller circus, but that isn't happening.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I was firmly in the "trade Schenn" camp last year and it with how hard it's apparently been to acquire picks I think it was a missed opportunity.
Firmly believe we could’ve recouped at least a 3rd and even a 2nd for Schenn. Still might be able to this time around but we have to pray he holds up

Reactions: m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad