Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
Motte has a good little gig here and he’s well respected. I personally don’t see him wanting to leave that, especially with his chemistry with Lammi and Highmore

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For a more lucrative contract he absolutely would. This is possibly the only lucrative contract he might earn in his entire career, and if a team is willing to offer more than us he should probably take it.

As you’re alluding to, given his injury history he absolutely take the largest offer available. His style of play usually lends to a short career and he’s already spent so much time injured.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Hope Canucks fan chant "Fire Jim" for the rest of Rutherford's stay here if he doesn't re-sign Motte.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Hope Canucks fan chant "Fire Jim" for the rest of Rutherford's stay here if he doesn't re-sign Motte.

If Motte wants to stay, and is willing to sign at a discounted rate, then sure. We aren’t looking for another instance where we overpay bottom 6 forwards though.

A 3 year deal in the 1.85mil range would work, but I wouldn’t want to go much higher. We can possibly replace him internally with Lockwood.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Motte has a good little gig here and he’s well respected. I personally don’t see him wanting to leave that, especially with his chemistry with Lammi and Highmore
Guys got to get paid and this is his best chance. I’d be stunned if he took a discount contract here.

Reactions: DekeyPete

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
If Motte wants to stay, and is willing to sign at a discounted rate, then sure. We aren’t looking for another instance where we overpay bottom 6 forwards though.

A 3 year deal in the 1.85mil range would work, but I wouldn’t want to go much higher. We can possibly replace him internally with Lockwood.

I think there's a tangible difference between giving Motte a "large" contract as a bottom 6 player and the overpriced bottom 6 contracts this franchise has gone through like Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. Those were all bloated contracts handed out to already older players who signed here as UFAs. Motte has already played here through most of his youth the past 4 years, you know what you're getting with him. He's a heart and soul guy and is widely regarded by fans and insiders alike as one of the best "bottom 6" players out there.

I am not saying we should be paying Motte over 3M or something, but he should be given a brevity of wiggle room to get a deal done, if the Canucks truly want to rebuild the team's culture, you have to think that Motte has to be a guy you keep around to build that culture around, he's the fast, hard-working, heart and soul guy you tell players to emulate.

Worst case scenario his injuries catch up with him and he retires on LTIR and his cap hit is erased, which is better than having a dead weight like Eriksson or Roussel keep playing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would hand Motte Dickinsons contract after we get rid of it. Otherwise i trade him

There is not much reason for him to take a discount and stay when he can chase a cup this spring and then get paid.

We cannot be paying Dickinson and Motte 5 million plus dollars. We need to sign at least 1 player who can get 40pts maybe 2 if we move Garland or Boeser

Reactions: BimJenning

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Motte isn't irreplaceable.

Obviously, I get the idea of trying to create a culture, but finding zippy UFAs isn't an overly difficult task. And we already have Highmore to fill a similar role.

We should probably be trading him at this point.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think there's a tangible difference between giving Motte a "large" contract as a bottom 6 player and the overpriced bottom 6 contracts this franchise has gone through like Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. Those were all bloated contracts handed out to already older players who signed here as UFAs. Motte has already played here through most of his youth the past 4 years, you know what you're getting with him. He's a heart and soul guy and is widely regarded by fans and insiders alike as one of the best "bottom 6" players out there.

I am not saying we should be paying Motte over 3M or something, but he should be given a brevity of wiggle room to get a deal done, if the Canucks truly want to rebuild the team's culture, you have to think that Motte has to be a guy you keep around to build that culture around, he's the fast, hard-working, heart and soul guy you tell players to emulate.

Worst case scenario his injuries catch up with him and he retires on LTIR and his cap hit is erased, which is better than having a dead weight like Eriksson or Roussel keep playing.

sign him to a bad contract becuase it’s not as bad as other bad contracts the team has? I think you likely are the only one with this opinion so it’s unlikely the rest of the fans in the building will chant fire the president

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Motte isn't irreplaceable.

Obviously, I get the idea of trying to create a culture, but finding zippy UFAs isn't an overly difficult task. And we already have Highmore to fill a similar role.

We should probably be trading him at this point.

I agree. I doubt Motte becomes much of an asset once he gets his UFA contract after what could be the peak of his career. I’m basically against spending a premium on your bottom 6 when so many guys can get the job done for cheap.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I would hand Motte Dickinsons contract after we get rid of it. Otherwise i trade him

There is not much reason for him to take a discount and stay when he can chase a cup this spring and then get paid.

We cannot be paying Dickinson and Motte 5 million plus dollars. We need to sign at least 1 player who can get 40pts maybe 2 if we move Garland or Boeser
How do you get rid of Dickinsons contract ? That seems pretty hard.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
In a package with Boeser?
"Ill just throw out the proposal I half stole and tweaked

Pavel Zacha + Ty Smith + a 2022 3rd round (upgraded to a 2022 2nd if pick the Devils and Boeser dont enter arbitration) for Brock Boeser and Jason Dickinson

I made up that term on the pick and dont even know if its allowed lol"

Heres a copy of what I just posted in a trade forum. What are Canuck's fans thoughts on that as a basis for a deal?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Next year we get Luongo’s 3M off the books …. And add 3.75M for Holtby / Halak.

NOICE.
$4.25 million when you add Virtanens too Johnny

images

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Actually my dumbass just realize that the arbitration wouldn't be until after the draft, so I suppose a straight up 20 22 second round pick would be better

so Zacha+Smith+2022 2nd for Boeser and Dickinson

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
All the right names mentioned by Rutherford. "Demko, Hughes, Pettersson" as the building blocks as the franchise. Leaving Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Garland, Motte or Myers available as potential trade bait that could garner some serious future assets.

Exciting times ahead.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
"Ill just throw out the proposal I half stole and tweaked

Pavel Zacha + Ty Smith + a 2022 3rd round (upgraded to a 2022 2nd if pick the Devils and Boeser dont enter arbitration) for Brock Boeser and Jason Dickinson

I made up that term on the pick and dont even know if its allowed lol"

Heres a copy of what I just posted in a trade forum. What are Canuck's fans thoughts on that as a basis for a deal?
Hey I made that exact proposal in my retool. Smith can play RD. He did in Spokane and they could parlay him or Rathbone for Tippett was my idea to reset some cap space and add depth

Reactions: Rydev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad