Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I guess we are all eager to see what the actual direction is so we are all analyzing everything JR says to death. The first trade probably will tell us all we should know what direction is going. We are really only like 1 month and a bit from the trade deadline, I imagine things will heat up after the all star break and around the 1month before deadline mark.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Wanna expand on that?
Why dump useful players for mid round picks ? Motte? Schenn? Highmore? a 3rd, 4th and 6th? I just don’t see the point. If we can’t get more don’t trade them. But fair, lazy response on my part

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah exactly. And now all of them are outproducing their contract, which makes cap flexibility a lot easier.

Don't think Zito chased any big or medium UFAs either.
Its an interesting philosophy to get players as they approach free agency. Nobody wants to pay the assets to get things done but what it does is allow you to keep the contract negotiations in check without a bidding war and also get the players 25-26 vs 27-32 where you can move them to recoup assets if it doesn't work out vs UFAs where they almost always (as premier players) become next to impossible to move due to the overpayments.

The key of course is to have at least 3-4 cornerstones and a bunch of good prospects before you do and nail your targets which goes without saying

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Just rolling back the clock two seasons on the Panthers and they had on the books:

6.35MM Yandle
5.5MM Stralman
5.2MM Hoffman
4.875MM Matheson
4.75MM Trocheck
4MM Dadonov
3.5MM Connolly
2.75MM Pysyk

36.925MM total.

All of whom they traded, bought out, or moved on from and replaced for a fraction of the cost once Bill Zito came in and overhauled the Panthers. Two years later and they are a legitimate contender.

Whether Allvin/JR can pull off a Zito-esque rebound remains to be seen, but we have seen how possible it is to restructure your cap situation and mine surplus value by making lots of smart bets.

One thing Zito was able to do was being creative in trading some ugly, longterm contracts in Mike Matheson and Brett Connolly. If Allvin can find similar trades for the likes of Myers, Poolman and Dickinson that would go a long way in creating much needed capspace to re-tool over the next couple years.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Why dump useful players for mid round picks ? Motte? Schenn? Highmore? a 3rd, 4th and 6th? I just don’t see the point. If we can’t get more don’t trade them. But fair, lazy response on my part

Because the latter two are replacement level players and the former is an upcoming UFA set for a big raise? Your response is the type of thinking Benning exhibited and why this team is where it is now.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Myers is probably positive value now, and certainly with retention.
He's overpaid but atleast useful, oel is the real boat anchor everyone knew was coming, and going to be nearly impossible to move without atleast 33% retention.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Ebbs and flows sure, but no other GM has done the damage that Benning has.

I agree 100%. Bennington was the worst GM I’ve seen here and I’ve been around for Quinn, Keenan, Burke , Nonis and Gillis.

but it’s funny how everyone forgets how they hated all the others at one point or another.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Myers is probably positive value now, and certainly with retention.
He's overpaid but atleast useful, oel is the real boat anchor everyone knew was coming, and going to be nearly impossible to move without atleast 33% retention.

So if we trade Garland as suspected they are , we gave up a 1st round pick for nothing.

eating 1 more year of BEagle / Eriksson / Roussell contract and having that much cap space next year is worth 100x more than having OEL until the end of time.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Miller (50% retained): Necas + conditional 2nd
Boeser: Matt Roy + 2nd
Myers (1m retained): 2nd + small cap dump
Motte: 3rd
Schenn: 3rd
Halak: 4th + small cap dump
Pearson: 4th + small cap dump
Dickinson: 4th + small cap dump
Hamonic: 5th + small cap dump
Highmore: 6th
Burroughs: 6th
Hunt: 7th
Lammiko: 7th
Dowling: Longshot prospect?
Chiasson: Anything
Poolman: Swap of cap dumps

The actual f***…

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He’s playing the PR role here. There’s no way he believes he can fix that defense in 2 years. Read between the lines about “no guarantees” and such.
PR…?..how is that PR..?..Read the article,or listen to the podcast..He explains what cycle the team is in …which completely aligns with a short retool….There’s no garauntees in anything,but that’s what he’s shooting for.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Right? Truly is mind blowing that the organization wants to make the playoffs. What morons. How dare they try to make $ and boost team/ player moral. f*** these monsters
It’s not so much that the only acceptable strategy is a rebuild, it’s more that JR already said we aren’t a contender, are capped out, and need a retool.

Honestly it’s a concern with the ‘make the playoffs and anything can happen’ mediocrity that defined the previous management. Hope this is different.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I would read very little into what rutherford says to the media and surely wouldnt make it dictate if you feel good or bad about it. He plays the PR game, he is not going to let teams think were desperate sellers, and he also cant throw his team under the bus and just say give up guys, were out, time to ship everyone off.

You can read into about as much as rutherford said to the media as you would have gillis. This is not benning anymore where everything is gospel and benning said exactly what he was thinking. I get the vibe he will say one thing for his own purpose and do another. As i mentioned alot of this was also taken out of context, shannon was constantly making jokes he was going to trade 16 players, rutherford playing the PR media game of course dialed that back and made comments that the team has played well and earned a chance to take a run at playoffs, but you could tell he knew it was a long shot.

I think the days of reading whats said to the media might need to be taken with a grain of salt again.

Hope so. Seems optimistic. We’ll see.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
PR…?..how is that PR..?..Read the article,or listen to the podcast..He explains what cycle the team is in …which completely aligns with a short retool….There’s no garauntees in anything,but that’s what he’s shooting for.

nah man. he’s never going to say “yea, this team is shit. OEL is shit and his contract sucks. I’m trading all these sucky players. F u, f u, you’re cool, f u .. “

it’s more likely lip service. Def can’t read much into it

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
As long as ownership stays away from the team. I'm willing to wait.

But there has not been any evidence of ownership being hands off

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Well… this doesn’t bode well for us… :confused:

To Rutherford’s credit, Matheson has turned his game around to the point where just under $5M for him doesn’t look awful. And other than OEL, who won’t be traded, Vancouver doesn’t have any egregious longterm contracts in the 6 year range that match Matheson’s. But maybe trading 2/3 years of Dickinson/Poolman for 1/2 year of a higher caphit is something that is possible that removes the longer term commitment and sets us up better to turn around 2/3 years from now.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
To Rutherford’s credit, Matheson has turned his game around to the point where just under $5M for him doesn’t look awful. And other than OEL, who won’t be traded, Vancouver doesn’t have any egregious longterm contracts in the 6 year range that match Matheson’s. But maybe trading 2/3 years of Dickinson/Poolman for 1/2 year of a higher caphit is something that is possible that removes the longer term commitment and sets us up better to turn around 2/3 years from now.

Yeah, Matheson’s even strength results last year were pretty good but this year they are outstanding: 58% xG% and top 30 in defenceman P/60 at even strength. He’s only played ~25% of his ice time with Crosby or Malkin and his numbers are just as good without them. The same is true with Letang or Ruhwedel as his partner.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I never got the hate for Matheson and his contract.

He's a quality #4 skill defender who drives a lot of ES offense and $4.8 million through age 32 was a slight overpayment at worst.

He got cratered for a bit when he was used in top-pairing shutdown minutes on a bad team and that appeared to tank his perceived value - oooooh look at the terrible JFresh card! - but he was always a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad