Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bringing a competent NHL coach and seeing stellar goaltending has masked the obvious issue that the team is not good.
That’s not the way it sounded when he worded it..I’m sure he knows what the weak spots are…He said that the new coach bump lasts a couple of games,but it was the players that he is impressed with.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know about a retool, but I'd love to discuss destinations for our star players, I'd rather just rebuild if the roster can't be salvaged.

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Garland and Horvat (in that order) are the most to least appealing trade bait from my seat. Retention on Boeser, Miller and Horvat would make all but the lowliest cap hit unneeded, and I mean...Tampa Bay, New York Rangers, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, Edmonton and Calgary (ew), Pittsburgh, Washington...I mean there are a treasure trove of options and young, talented players out there that would give us the best chance at a rebuild. It doesn't have to be a fire sale, but one or two pieces moved would make for a shiny looking future.

Feb 19, 2018
With rumors of Lysell being a target as a prospect it shows you that speed and skill is the target for this team. Interesting that he is what lots of posters wanted last year around the 9 spot. These look like the type of targets they will be looking to acquire in moving roster players. You have to think Newhook would be right up there as well.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think one of the biggest decisions that the new management group is going to have to make is...is Petey a 1C or a 1LW, and what that means for building the roster...he has all the ability in the world, but is he suited for a 1C role, or would he benefit more from someone else in that position? If we're looking at building around a core group of Hughes, Petey and Demko...finding a partner for Hughes is key, but defining Petey's role and how to best support him will be key as well...especially if Miller is on his way out.

Reactions: sting101

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
If the timeline is in 2 years then there's roster players you just don't trade, like Garland for example who's a fast and skilled player in his mid 20's who's signed well through Vancouvers supposedly upcoming window.

Sell Miller, Pearson, and any of the other extras if teams will pay for them, but I can't see JR and Alvin justifying selling playoff-caliber players who make this team better like Garland or Motte unless it's for a full-rebuild, which I'd be fine with but you just got to make up your mind and choose the course.

A retool is pointless though if Petersson doesn't rebound, if Boeser (if he stays) doesn't become consistent, and if the development for Hoglander and Podkolzin are projected to take too long.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If the timeline is in 2 years then there's roster players you just don't trade, like Garland for example who's a fast and skilled player in his mid 20's who's signed well through Vancouvers supposedly upcoming window.

Sell Miller, Pearson, and any of the other extras if teams will pay for them, but I can't see JR and Alvin justifying selling playoff-caliber players who make this team better like Garland or Motte unless it's for a full-rebuild, which I'd be fine with but you just got to make up your mind and choose the course.

A retool is pointless though if Petersson doesn't rebound, if Boeser (if he stays) doesn't become consistent, and if the development for Hoglander and Podkolzin are projected to take too long.
It isn’t pointless
2 years is a long time for a retool, especially in modern nhl

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
It isn’t pointless
2 years is a long time for a retool, especially in modern nhl
I didn't say it's innately pointless, just that it's pointless if the existing young players don't develop and play well. No point selling Miller, Boeser, etc, and replace them with young talent if the existing talent just busts. It'd just be a switcharoo but the difference is you wouldn't have Miller.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Just rolling back the clock two seasons on the Panthers and they had on the books:

6.35MM Yandle
5.5MM Stralman
5.2MM Hoffman
4.875MM Matheson
4.75MM Trocheck
4MM Dadonov
3.5MM Connolly
2.75MM Pysyk

36.925MM total.

All of whom they traded, bought out, or moved on from and replaced for a fraction of the cost once Bill Zito came in and overhauled the Panthers. Two years later and they are a legitimate contender.

Whether Allvin/JR can pull off a Zito-esque rebound remains to be seen, but we have seen how possible it is to restructure your cap situation and mine surplus value by making lots of smart bets.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I didn't say it's innately pointless, just that it's pointless if the existing young players don't develop and play well. No point selling Miller, Boeser, etc, and replace them with young talent if the existing talent just busts. It'd just be a switcharoo but the difference is you wouldn't have Miller.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Rutherford and Co. has to ask themselves, are they better in 2 years selling Miller now for picks/prospects and younger pieces and utilizing the cap space differently in 2 years or signing a 30 year old Miller to a likely longterm contract at north of $8M? I choose the former and hopefully they do too.

Reactions: GranvilleIsland

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Just rolling back the clock two seasons on the Panthers and they had on the books:

6.35MM Yandle
5.5MM Stralman
5.2MM Hoffman
4.875MM Matheson
4.75MM Trocheck
4MM Dadonov
3.5MM Connolly
2.75MM Pysyk

36.925MM total.

All of whom they traded, bought out, or moved on from and replaced for a fraction of the cost once Bill Zito came in and overhauled the Panthers. Two years later and they are a legitimate contender.

Whether Allvin/JR can pull off a Zito-esque rebound remains to be seen, but we have seen how possible it is to restructure your cap situation and mine surplus value by making lots of smart bets.

Key to the "Zito plan" is to ship out a bunch of salary so that you can make *a ton* of bets. People act like everything Zito touched turned to gold but he brought in a bunch of guys that busted, too: Wennberg, Gusev, Nuutivara, Hinostroza, Priskie, Wallmark...

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It wasn’t a mundane generic interview at all..It’s a completely new direction he’s talking about..
JR’s vision has always been “need time to evaluate, might take a step back to move forward, Demko/Hughes and Petey are untouchable.”

Pretty consistent thus far if you ask me, rebuild was never an option when they decided Hughes and Demko are here to stay

Reactions: m9

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Demko and Hughes are stud
Petey they seems to believe still has a lot of room to develop
Guys like Hog/Pod can be traded for other young players if they dont like them

I don’t see the worry

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
JR’s vision has always been “need time to evaluate, might take a step back to move forward, Demko/Hughes and Petey are untouchable.”

Pretty consistent thus far if you ask me, rebuild was never an option when they decided Hughes and Demko are here to stay
It appears that he’s been more impressed with the team,than his original take when he was hired..
Agreed that it’s a retool..there’s too much here to do a rebuild.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think you should really read anything into this interview. JR is much more adept at using the media to his advantage.

Jim Benning was an open book that either blurted things out or you could read right thru his non existant poker face.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Key to the "Zito plan" is to ship out a bunch of salary so that you can make *a ton* of bets. People act like everything Zito touched turned to gold but he brought in a bunch of guys that busted, too: Wennberg, Gusev, Nuutivara, Hinostroza, Priskie, Wallmark...

All those players are low impact players with minimal contract obligations.

The ones he signed to multi-year contracts have all worked. Reinhart, Bennett, Verhaeghe, Duclair...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Exactly. They made a bunch of low cost bets, struck veins of gold on half of them, and moved on from the rest. Key to their strategy was not giving any of those bets much term.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
All those players are low impact players with minimal contract obligations.

The ones he signed to multi-year contracts have all worked. Reinhart, Bennett, Verhaeghe, Duclair...

In the case of Bennett, Duclair, Verhaege, he made sure they worked out before committing any sort of term or $$ to them and that's the key to it. He didn't sign Verhaege to a 4 year 4AAV deal in free agency and hope that it would work out—he got him for 2 years at 1MM AAV. Bennett came as a pending RFA that they waited till they saw him with the group to re-sign (he was a potential non tender candidate in CGY IIRC). Duclair took the one year 1MM deal and bet on himself, but FLA didn't get themselves locked in long term before making sure his skillset fit in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad