Fans booing Schultz..

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Booing your own players is counterproductive. It's not like he actually wants to suck. He just does.

I don't think fans are booing him because he sucks.

They're booing him because he seems content with sucking.

There's plenty of other players who suck as much as Schultz, but they at least show a little pride and effort. That's probably why they aren't being booed and Schultz is.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
On one hand, Schultz has looked so apathetic on many nights, as well as clueless, that I think he's as deserving of boos as anyone on the team. On the other hand, I've never really liked booing our own, especially if that player will be here a while longer (not the case with Schultz) as it does more damage than good.

Clearly a new market will do him some sort of good, even if the only impact is sleeping better at night. I won't miss him at all and don't like him as a player, but the human in me hopes he manages to turn it around somewhere (and in the process doesn't consider it as an invitation to give a middle finger to the fans like Poti, who also earned his boos).

I think people are conflagrating different things. Schultz is a D that has all kinds of confidence playing in AHL but seems intimidated by the PHysical play in WC hockey. I think this is a player that hears footsteps at this level and that it impacts every part of his game. You can see it in his coverage. How often he lets players go instead of taking them out or battling with them. You see it as well when a pass like the other game is going to involve getting hit. He just bails.

Thing is there was never a moment in his time here where I thought Schultz had NHL game. Even in the lockout year I was saying this was a guy that was putting up pts against lesser clubs in AHL. When he played physical, system AHL teams he had problems. This was rarely a player that rose up to play the better opponents.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

There's plenty of other players who suck as much as Schultz, but they at least show a little pride and effort. That's probably why they aren't being booed and Schultz is.

Nobody showed any pride against the Senators.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com

I'd agree with that. I don't condone booing anyone, but with Schultz it looks like he just doesn't have any compete in him. For example, the play where he completely botched a tape to tape pass from Osterle last game... he makes a terrible play turning it over then half-***** it back on the back check.

There are guys on this team that mess up on a regular basis, but I feel like most at least care (although there are others that appear not to, like Schultz). As long as they actually give a damn and is trying to win, I don't ever see a reason to boo them (again, I don't really ever condone booing, anyways, but I can see why others would do it). I don't expect players to be perfect and never make mistakes, I just expect that if you make a mistake you're putting effort in to make up for it rather than just shrugging it off.

Good players turn over pucks all the time, and those good players also work hard to get the puck back. I think Dreger's description that Schultz just seems lost out there most of the team seems bang on to me. To plays recently that support this.. when he decided to defend a 2-on-2 vs. Minnesota with his back turned to the play, and one goal vs. the Sens where he was spinning behind our net and clearly had no idea where he should be or who he should cover.

@Replacement: I've generally disliked College defensemen for the reason you describe. It's a lot less physical of a game. Some do come out of there with good physical games, of course, but a lot seem intimidated by the NHL. I thought Schultz actually showed early on this year that he was willing to play with some edge, but then he hurt his back, and now he's back to wilting under any physical pressure. Some guys just don't have that in their game. He'll be better out east though, Im sure, if some team picks him up with expectations to just have him QB a PP and play the odd EV time.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He was being booed before the puck dropped according to people at the Colorado and Senators games. Didn't give him a chance to fail during the games before the boos.

People tend to remember stuff from prior games, unfortunately. Lots and lots of prior games with lack of effort and compete.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Booing your own players is counterproductive. It's not like he actually wants to suck. He just does.

Not a fan of booing your own players either, but there will always be leatherlungs out there. Regardless, as others have said, the result would be the same, whether he's booed or not. Plenty of games in the past where he mailed it in, and got a free ride from everyone, including his own organization.

Rob Klinkhammer has 1/5 the amount of talent as Schultz, and he makes a ton of less than stellar plays, every game. But his compete level is very high and he pushes himself in games to maximize what he can. In short, he is an honest workman. The same could be said for Matt Hendricks. Most Edmonton fans are saavy enough to recognize this and would never boo these guys. Maybe get frustrated that they can't make the plays we all wished they would, but it's never for a lack of try. But Edmonton fans do recognize when a guy isn't buying into what the coaches are telling him and appears to be slagging it on the ice. In short, they are held accountable in this city, not like a southern belt franchise that can't draw flies and the ones that do show up have trouble following the puck.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not a fan of booing your own players either, but there will always be leatherlungs out there. Regardless, as others have said, the result would be the same, whether he's booed or not. Plenty of games in the past where he mailed it in, and got a free ride from everyone, including his own organization.

Rob Klinkhammer has 1/5 the amount of talent as Schultz, and he makes a ton of less than stellar plays, every game. But his compete level is very high and he pushes himself in games to maximize what he can. In short, he is an honest workman. The same could be said for Matt Hendricks. Most Edmonton fans are saavy enough to recognize this and would never boo these guys. Maybe get frustrated that they can't make the plays we all wished they would, but it's never for a lack of try. But Edmonton fans do recognize when a guy isn't buying into what the coaches are telling him and appears to be slagging it on the ice. In short, they are held accountable in this city, not like a southern belt franchise that can't draw flies and the ones that do show up have trouble following the puck.

I wouldn't boo either, but would rather watch a skill player, than a Klinkhammer, or Letestu, or Korpi, anytime, given this is Pro hockey after all. I can at least have patience for players that have and play with skill. Its the luddites accrued to fill space in a capped lineup that I have more problem supporting. Effort or not.

Seems I'm the same sport to sport. In CFL Coehoorn makes me sick to watch. Just see him as a pedestrian player. I prefer to see skill on display, regardless of the Pro sport involved.

I'm no Schultz fan, and never have been, just general opinion. Give me skill, give me Yak. :D

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't boo either, but would rather watch a skill player, than a Klinkhammer, or Letestu, or Korpi, anytime, given this is Pro hockey after all. I can at least have patience for players that have and play with skill. Its the luddites accrued to fill space in a capped lineup that I have more problem supporting. Effort or not.

Seems I'm the same sport to sport. In CFL Coehoorn makes me sick to watch. Just see him as a pedestrian player. I prefer to see skill on display, regardless of the Pro sport involved.

I'm no Schultz fan, and never have been, just general opinion. Give me skill, give me Yak. :D

Other than McDavid and Eberle this team doesn't have any of those.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com

I just want to see wins. Flashy players, losses and no playoffs do little for me. Now some of the boring players you refer to obviously have little impact on a game, but there are some guys that have willed their way into the NHL to make up for lack of skill (the garbage goal scorers).. those I'm fine with over flashy players that will never win a thing in their lives.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
I can agree.
Last thing I'll say is.
At the game fans can chant boo cheer all they want. It's part of the game.

Outside of the rink is where i draw a line. Outside of the rink they are just like anyone else.

I agree with this. I will ***** and moan about a botched play or voice my displeasure at a player once in awhile but that would stay within the walls of the rink. Some booing at a player after years of garbage is not the end of the world. Let's stop with the victim crap. He is a grown man. While I do agree attacking someone relentlessly is not necessary, one game is not a huge deal. we have all been blasted at work once in awhile in front of people and while not at the same scale and isn't pleasant it makes you a better person in some cases. Everyone, including Schultz will move on with their lives.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Bottom line is this: Effort.

If he actually looked like he cared and tried out there fans would not boo him. The guy doesn't look like he cares and he's just out there for a morning skate.

Zero effort = Booing

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yakupov hasn't scored one highlight reel goal in his NHL career (unless you count him sliding a mile down Rexall for a tap in goal a highlight reel). Pretty much all his goals are spoon fed tap ins with the occasional one-timer that he connects on thrown in.

Ryan Smyth has a more impressive goal scoring highlight reel than Yakupov, lol.

Schultz is just a physically and mentally fragile player.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bottom line is this: Effort.

If he actually looked like he cared and tried out there fans would not boo him. The guy doesn't look like he cares and he's just out there for a morning skate.

Zero effort = Booing

So did many other Oilers in that game and for the last week or so.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I just want to see wins. Flashy players, losses and no playoffs do little for me. Now some of the boring players you refer to obviously have little impact on a game, but there are some guys that have willed their way into the NHL to make up for lack of skill (the garbage goal scorers).. those I'm fine with over flashy players that will never win a thing in their lives.

Maybe I'm not being clear. Theres a difference between useful role players that are talented enough to play in this league just on skill, but have accepted a role as their calling card vs players that have to play like their lives depend on it because they don't belong.

We subscribe a lot to the latter bottomsix players now, we used to get the former. Guys like Dave Lumley, Dave Hunter, Craig MacTavish, were good solid players that could do anything but accepted a role player place on solid teams. Theres a huge difference in the skill of players like that versus Korpi, Gazdik, Letestu, Klink etc.

More recently a player like Mike Peca. We have no one even remotely like that in the lineup. Good teams do. We never seem to get those. People here get excited (I don't know why) when we get players of the ilk of Letestu, Klink, Korpi. Those are garbage players.

least we have Hendricks.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
Hendricks would be a good example of a non-skilled guy that I do have time for.

Michael Peca is an interesting name.. he didn't show up for most of the year here, but the parts he did were when it really mattered (the playoffs).

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yakupov hasn't scored one highlight reel goal in his NHL career (unless you count him sliding a mile down Rexall for a tap in goal a highlight reel). Pretty much all his goals are spoon fed tap ins with the occasional one-timer that he connects on thrown in.

Ryan Smyth has a more impressive goal scoring highlight reel than Yakupov, lol.

Schultz is just a physically and mentally fragile player.

Ryan Smyths skill around the net and tireless working on it was vastly underrated. Nobody in this org will score 440Goals in career. Including McDavid.

Yet people here dissed Smyth every chance they got as if he's a plug.

Yeah Yak doesn't have that goal scoring in him. Nobody here does. Eberle could if he could take the nonstop punishment Smyth could.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

My point wasn`t about wanting to watch skill over non skill. Of course we all love to watch skill. You are always going to have different levels of skill on teams. And in a cap world, even moreso. But if someone has it and wastes it and does not give the effort, most people in this town have no time for that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe I'm not being clear. Theres a difference between useful role players that are talented enough to play in this league just on skill, but have accepted a role as their calling card vs players that have to play like their lives depend on it because they don't belong.

We subscribe a lot to the latter bottomsix players now, we used to get the former. Guys like Dave Lumley, Dave Hunter, Craig MacTavish, were good solid players that could do anything but accepted a role player place on solid teams. Theres a huge difference in the skill of players like that versus Korpi, Gazdik, Letestu, Klink etc.

More recently a player like Mike Peca. We have no one even remotely like that in the lineup. Good teams do. We never seem to get those. People here get excited (I don't know why) when we get players of the ilk of Letestu, Klink, Korpi. Those are garbage players.

least we have Hendricks.

They may be garbage players in terms of skill, but they all work hard. And for that, they will never get booed, here or anywhere else. Andrew Shaw has next to nothing for skill. No shot, pedestrian skater, and willing to do everything that the star players don`t need to do, but the team needs him to do. He works his tail off every game. Again, work hard, and it doesn`t matter the skill level, the fans will leave you alone. At the end of the day, they may be calling for your GM to trade you, but that is only to upgrade the team if they can get someone the same with more skill. And everyone of those guys can leave with their heads held high, no matter their skill level.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Ryan Smyths skill around the net and tireless working on it was vastly underrated. Nobody in this org will score 440Goals in career. Including McDavid.

Yet people here dissed Smyth every chance they got as if he's a plug.

Yeah Yak doesn't have that goal scoring in him. Nobody here does. Eberle could if he could take the nonstop punishment Smyth could.

To be fair to Eberle, if he played the game like Smyth, his career would last maybe 2 more years tops. Pouliot, on the other hand, could actually play the Smyth role if he were actually so inclined.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To be fair to Eberle, if he played the game like Smyth, his career would last maybe 2 more years tops. Pouliot, on the other hand, could actually play the Smyth role if he were actually so inclined.

Eberle with McD reminds me of Panarin with Kane.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Hendricks would be a good example of a non-skilled guy that I do have time for.

Michael Peca is an interesting name.. he didn't show up for most of the year here, but the parts he did were when it really mattered (the playoffs).

To be fair to Peca it's because MacT was not playing him in his best role on the team and that was a third line checker. Just cause the guy got a couple 20+ goal seasons under his belt didn't mean he was some goal scoring dynamo. It took Peca to pretty much tell MacT that he wasn't being used in the role he was comfortable with and then they put him where he should have been all season and magic happened.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
To be fair to Peca it's because MacT was not playing him in his best role on the team and that was a third line checker. Just cause the guy got a couple 20+ goal seasons under his belt didn't mean he was some goal scoring dynamo. It took Peca to pretty much tell MacT that he wasn't being used in the role he was comfortable with and then they put him where he should have been all season and magic happened.

Interesting to note the part of your post I bolded is a dead on accurate description of MacT as a player.

Many years ago I know, but I thought Horcs was our 1C and Stoll was our 2C for most of that season. With Peca in the 3C role.

That was a decent team that needed solid goaltending but was good pretty much everywhere else. Roli pushed us over the top.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Petry, and I think Gilbert got booed too

Sure Petry and Gibert got booed. Poti was the last time I remember a player getting booed off the ice.

Regardless, Schultz will not have anywhere near the post-Oiler career of any of the three. I do realize that Petry is not even a full season after Edmonton and was meh this year before getting hurt.

I see Schultz in the K next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad