Fans booing Schultz..

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Plenty for Schultz to be happy about. Some team, a better team (because that's all there is), will give him a shot with easier minutes, lowered responsibility, where he'll be sheltered by better players. He gets to leave Edmonton and the media spotlight. He has already made his millions. He will do nothing but win, even if it's not on the ice.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Plenty for Schultz to be happy about. Some team, a better team (because that's all there is), will give him a shot with easier minutes, lowered responsibility, where he'll be sheltered by better players. He gets to leave Edmonton and the media spotlight. He has already made his millions. He will do nothing but win, even if it's not on the ice.

In the AHL

(If he's lucky)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Fans booing Schultz is pretty pathetic. Boo our coaches for continually putting him on the ice - I don't like Schultz as a player at all, but the guy is only doing what they ask of him.

I really don't understand where people get off suggesting that personal abuse is some kind of equation to how bad he has been as a hockey player. I'm willing to bet that if lots of you got **** on at work as hard as he does you'd mostly fold like a cheap lawnchair. The amount of money he makes has nothing to do with it.

It truly sets a precedent for other players not wanting to come play here, it suggests that as fans we're completely out of touch with the bigger picture at hand - that being many of the players we have on the team are simply not adequate NHL players, but that we're willing to **** on them anyways.

He was folding like a cheap lawnchair WAY before the booing. It blows my mind that some of you are using the booing as an excuse for his will being broken. It was broken a long time ago. Maybe if he put in an effort instead of constantly coasting, he wouldn't be booed.

Setting a bad precedent? Where do you people come up with this stuff?
There are plenty of markets that boo their players, why is it that Oiler fans (who have been pretty tame if you ask me) are being pointed out as some kind of bully that makes it an impossible, toxic environment that no player wants to play in?
The organization is looked at poorly because of garbage management and a losing culture. I highly doubt that players don't choose to sign in Edmonton because they boo their crappy players once or twice a year.

Don't want to get booed? Player better or in Schultz's case, act like you give a ****.
Enough with claiming that these players are some sort of victim. I'm sure even they understand why the booing happens, at least if they had any sense they would. I'm sure it sucks for them as nobody wants to be booed in their home arena but they know that it comes along with the territory.
It's a shame that it has come to this but Schultz sort of dug his own grave here. Of course some of the fault lies with management and coaching as well but of course the player is going to feel the wrath of the booing.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He was folding like a cheap lawnchair WAY before the booing. It blows my mind that some of you are using the booing as an excuse for his will being broken. It was broken a long time ago. Maybe if he put in an effort instead of constantly coasting, he wouldn't be booed.

There are plenty of markets that boo their players, why is it that Oiler fans (who have been pretty tame if you ask me) are being pointed out as some kind of bully that makes it an impossible, toxic environment that no player wants to play in?
The organization is looked at poorly because of garbage management and a losing culture. I highly doubt that players don't choose to sign in Edmonton because they boo their crappy players once or twice a year.

Don't want to get booed? Player better or in Schultz's case, act like you give a ****.
Enough with claiming that these players are some sort of victim. I'm sure even they understand why the booing happens, at least if they had any sense they would. I'm sure it sucks for them as nobody wants to be booed in their home arena but they know that it comes along with the territory.
It's a shame that it has come to this but Schultz sort of dug his own grave here. Of course some of the fault lies with management and coaching as well but of course the player is going to feel the wrath of the booing.

Excellent post. 100% agreed on everything you said.

The only point I think you missed is with respect to posters talking about how booing Schultz would somehow deter free agents from signing here. I think you'll agree.

These guys all have computers. If they cared at all about Schultz being booed they would take a look at what lead to the boos. i.e. Jultzing and the terrible effort on that third goal. Any free agent worth signing would have the self-respect to think they would never give such a half-arsed effort. (Or at least recognize that an effort at that level deserves some sort of reaction.)

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
It's one thing if guys make mistakes trying to make a good play. Schultz still doesn't know what that good play is. What pisses me off most about the guy is his lack of effort. Normal players work extra hard once making a mistake, to try to correct it, whereas he just continues floating around in his own little world. When fans can clearly see that a player doesn't give a ****, they have every right to rip him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

-11 in his last 10 games. He's an offencive defenceman whom can't produce, and is a massive liability on the ice.

He might be lucky to get a PTO, but otherwise what has he done in the last 3 years to make anyone think he's NHL quality? I have the feeling he's off to Europe or out of hockey next year. He doesn't strick me as a guy to ride the buses in the AHL after he's made his millions.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So now Tom Poti's entered the fray, advising Schultz to "hold his head up high":

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/tom-poti-to-edmonton-oilers-justin-schultz-hold-your-head-up-high

“If I could talk to that kid right now, I’d tell him, ‘Hold your head up high. There’s a reason you’re in the NHL and if the people of Edmonton don’t appreciate you, there are 29 other teams that would love to have your services.’

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
29 other teams would love to have his services? Did Poti get a brain injury while playing?

I think his head is clear (though I wonder if he's still got those wacky food allergies, remember that?), but even after 14 years you can still tell that being booed by his own fans left an impression on him. He still sounds somewhat bitter after all this time.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I think his head is clear (though I wonder if he's still got those wacky food allergies, remember that?), but even after 14 years you can still tell that being booed by his own fans left an impression on him. He still sounds somewhat bitter after all this time.

Agreed. Which is why booing a home player is a nasty thing to do. Sure - Schultz probably should be playing in the AHL. What is he supposed to do - ask McLellan not to play?

Booing a home player is just a nasty awful thing to do to someone.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agreed. Which is why booing a home player is a nasty thing to do. Sure - Schultz probably should be playing in the AHL. What is he supposed to do - ask McLellan not to play?

Booing a home player is just a nasty awful thing to do to someone.

His own coach said if a player tries hard but makes a mistake, he shouldn't be booed. Lots of guys in the league like that. But he said fans do not like lack of effort, nor should they accept it, and that's what happened the other night.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
His own coach said if a player tries hard but makes a mistake, he shouldn't be booed. Lots of guys in the league like that. But he said fans do not like lack of effort, nor should they accept it, and that's what happened the other night.

He was being booed before the puck dropped according to people at the Colorado and Senators games. Didn't give him a chance to fail during the games before the boos.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Exactly, and why wouldn't he.

People continuing to state this doesn't matter to players, they should have thick skin and all refuse to acknowledge is does piss off players and that the NHLPA is a union and players talk.

I think a lot of players have grown weary to playing in Canadian cities. It does seem harder for Canadian cities to land free agents that are good, that have a choice.

Interestingly Schultz was mentioned as a highly touted free agent when he came here, but one that had not established an NHL game. Perhaps he came here, as I suggested at the time, because he sensed expectations would be low on a tanking team. A guy that came here because he knew this team wasn't going to be in high expectation winning mode for some time. Always struck me as odd why he came here in the first place but that's another topic.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He was being booed before the puck dropped according to people at the Colorado and Senators games. Didn't give him a chance to fail during the games before the boos.

Yeah, he was being booed first time he touched the puck in the game. Just something that started. its not like a few K people get to together and decide exactly on what rationale they are going to boo a player. Somebody starts booing him that has that intent, thing spreads just like the wave, and all of a sudden thousands are booing Schultz everytime because its become kind of a fun thing to do at the game. This game behavior spreads like any other behavior.

Another factor is level of detachment. At any given time currently the majority of fans at the game are not STH, or long established STH. Most tickets when the team are doing poorly are resales.
theres games where probably 10K fans are casual fans just buying the odd game. So they really don't care as much about what to do, what not to do.
In this way Edmonton isn't even a hometown for the Oilers and hasn't been for a longtime.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton

Thanks for the reply.

I merely think the booing is a useless thing to do - even if that player is repeatedly a liability on the ice. So what's our endgame as fans? Do we boo him until he can't take it anymore and quits? Because that happened a long time ago as you mentioned, there's absolutely nothing achieved by it outside of some fiery discussion on the side and some good media bytes for TSN. We get red in the face trying to deal with the Oilers but very few people are willing to actually boycott giving this team money. I highly doubt players want to sign here, period, whether we boo them or not. It's really just icing on the cake.

I mean we're not talking about Schultz coming out to the media and publicly stating "I totally suckered Edmonton, thanks for the money pals". Although he plays like it.

Fans that are going to games are essentially forking over ~100+ dollars (if you're in the nosebleeds) to boo Schultz and watch really bad hockey. Just don't even go to the game at that point imo.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
On one hand, Schultz has looked so apathetic on many nights, as well as clueless, that I think he's as deserving of boos as anyone on the team. On the other hand, I've never really liked booing our own, especially if that player will be here a while longer (not the case with Schultz) as it does more damage than good.

Clearly a new market will do him some sort of good, even if the only impact is sleeping better at night. I won't miss him at all and don't like him as a player, but the human in me hopes he manages to turn it around somewhere (and in the process doesn't consider it as an invitation to give a middle finger to the fans like Poti, who also earned his boos).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad