Fan Patience and Rebuilding

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
I don't know how old you guys are, but I was around and going to games when the Leafs were making the playoffs regularly.

Sensationalism in Toronto media? Sure. But let's not discount that the team did have two conference final appearances under Quinn.

On both occasions, the media was very favorable towards the Leafs. I remember reading a piece after Brian Leetch was traded to Toronto which basically implied that if the Leafs don't win the cup *now*, that it would be a disaster. But they acknowledged at the Leafs had a good enough team to challenge for the cup.

I remember Berezin scoring the series winner against the Penguins, and reading an article (I think it was the Toronto Star) about how this team had the feels of a team that couldn't be stopped - they lost in the next round, but there's been plenty of examples of media in this city being fair and favorable to the Leafs if they deserve it - mixed in with the usual sensationalism, of course.

Been watching since the 70's . The media wasn't obviously as neg as it is now but then again it deserves it now . Was just saying there was certain reporters or opinion writers that stirred stuff up long before now. Controversy sells.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Pretty much. They're an easy team to play against. Aside from defensive problems which is another matter in the o zone they're a perimeter team for the most part rarely having anyone drive through traffic to the net who has skill. JVR does when he's on his game and Clarkson does but hasn't good enough hands or skill to make a huge difference though. Aside from that there's really nobody who's tough to play against or contain. It would make a world of difference opening up lanes and options for some of the skilled guys like Kessel or even gardiner if someone was creating havoc in front. Gards would look like a star on a team who had a strong physical forward line up because he's great getting the puck into dangerous areas but no one is there to score the garbage and he lacks the imagination to make anything else of it. Frustrating to watch. It's the entire reason they like to score off the rush or on the pp . Also makes a big difference to this team when Lupol's in or out because he's 1 of the few that can do this. Not really seeing it getting much better either with the main prospects being not much different. Not saying they aren't good players but way to much of the same thing.

For me personally, I despise soft teams. They are not very enjoyable to watch. I don't need alot of fights either. I think there is a time and place for a a fight and you need that type of player that is willing to.

Preferrably about half your defense(one each pair) and a majority of your forwards having the ability to look after themselves is a good idea. I don't mind the fact that we might have a small 1-2 center punch going forward with Nylander and Kadri either.

We need tough minded character wingers that leave the impression that they will be looked after playing with them though. Scary but that is not in existence on this roster at present. Why a team would be constructed and kept like that is perplexing for me.

I don't get that at all. Lupul would be a good captain if he wasn't so snake bit with injuries. I still like Lupes but if he gets traded,I would deal with it. Lupul could still have some value between medium to excellent depending on his health.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
these fans are too stupid for a rebuild

i mean look how they treat their prospects after 1 or 2 years

There's truth to this.

I can't believe how much criticism I've read from fans about Horachek's change in system - as if it's meant to have over night results. Some couldn't get to 5 games without criticizing it, yet are expected to last a 5-year process of turning the team around? lol

Like I said above though, I do think fans could get on board with it if it was sold the right way. It wouldn't always be smooth sailing, but it would be embraced here.

Also - at some point the organization has to also just not care what the hell the fans think, and go about their commitment and plan. There's something to be said about teams that make decisions based on the temperature and climate of it's fanbase.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's incredibly frustrating to see some call for a full rebuild in one thread, and then others trash youth like Rielly, or Nylanderin others.

Or even look at how Kadri has been treated throughout the first few years of his development ("baby leaf", ect).

Last edited:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Most fans are patient and want a winning team built right

noteam shoukd jeapordize their fan base by being short sighted for so long
There is a hard core group on here that will argue that the fanbase has no patience for a true bottom out rebuild. Nothing will sway them. They know. Would be nice to see this organization at least try it once. I think they would be proved wrong.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
There is a hard core group on here that will argue that the fanbase has no patience for a true bottom out rebuild. Nothing will sway them. They know. Would be nice to see this organization at least try it once. I think they would be proved wrong.

They have no patience for anything so what difference would it make. They are never happy and always complaining. So, rebuild and listen to them. You will listen to them anyways if you don't rebuild, so go for what you want for a change.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's incredibly frustrating to see some call for a full rebuild in one thread, and then others trash youth like Rielly, or Nylanderin others.

Or even look at how Kadri has been treated throughout the first few years of his development ("baby leaf", ect).

That's one thing I'm worried about. Are the prospects going to develop in Toronto before they're run out of town by the fans and the media?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That's one thing I'm worried about. Are the prospects going to develop in Toronto before they're run out of town by the fans and the media?

who have the "fans/media" run out of town during this 10 year stretch of losing badly?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

If you do it right.
You fill the parent team with players like Winnik/Santorelli/Clarkson and leave players in junior the extra year or 2 and slowly graduate to the Marlies.
Part of the problem is the Leafs are not rebuilding, they have so many holes, and in order to get Kessel help, Percy/Carrick need to be superstars now. Well they never will be but that doesn't mean they are not good team players. Everybody we draft in the later rounds needs to be Subban or Duchene because we are never in a position to draft them.
First step for Shanny is to admit you have a problem. Then you can go to rehab and rebuild.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
They have no patience for anything so what difference would it make. They are never happy and always complaining. So, rebuild and listen to them. You will listen to them anyways if you don't rebuild, so go for what you want for a change.

I really don't know where you get this insane notion that there is no patience here

no cup experiences since 1967 , that's not just no cup wins, that's not even making the finals , closing in on 50 bloody years

utter futility for the past 10 count em 10 years

a sold out building with a waiting list for the highest ticket prices in the history of the nhl and tv ratings through the roof, all on the back drop of 10 years of utter crap

so when someone tries to insult leafs nation about patience

well , they don't know the meaning of the word then.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I really don't know where you get this insane notion that there is no patience here

no cup experiences since 1967 , that's not just no cup wins, that's not even making the finals , closing in on 50 bloody years

utter futility for the past 10 count em 10 years

a sold out building with a waiting list for the highest ticket prices in the history of the nhl and tv rating through the roof, all on the back drop of 10 years of utter crap

so when someone tries to insult leafs nation about patience

well , they don't know the meaning of the word then.
Exactly. Right up there with when Leafs fans are called bandwagoners. What a joke

FanHabtic*

Good drafting is all that is needed. If you can draft a couple star players past the first round and capitolize on a few first round picks you are on your way. Tear it down rebuilds are for teams that have competed for years and have an old core.

Habs did't tear it down. Guys like Markov and Pleks have brought stability to the organization. Subban and Gallagher were lucky picks. Price, Chucky and Macpac were first rounders the Habs capitolized on (and McDonagh if Gainey was not stupid). Sekac was a good ufa pickup.

Just need good drafting.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Good drafting is all that is needed. If you can draft a couple star players past the first round and capitolize on a few first round picks you are on your way. Tear it down rebuilds are for teams that have competed for years and have an old core.

Habs did't tear it down. Guys like Markov and Pleks have brought stability to the organization. Subban and Gallagher were lucky picks. Price, Chucky and Macpac were first rounders the Habs capitolized on (and McDonagh if Gainey was not stupid). Sekac was a good ufa pickup.

Just need good drafting.

ya lets see

subban , been following for 42 years and we have never ever picked a star out of a draft slot like that, so forgive me if I don't hold my breath or plan on that

price, we had our steel tender pick like you all and he is in Boston now and that was like 20 years in the waiting to happen, not gonna hold my breath on a fluke repeat so soon.

so when they start to draft and develop like the big boys and prove it to me, i'll start to care about that path.

about the only thing this franchise has shown is the ability to not screw up high draft slots, so there is that and i'll hanging my hopes on that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Just need good drafting.

Dave Morrison is rather incapable of good drafts. That guy is a bit of a fool when it comes to draft day.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dave Morrison is rather incapable of good drafts. That guy is a bit of a fool when it comes to draft day.

Only 5 teams have drafted players who have played more games than the Leafs picks, since 2006 - which I think coincides with the year Dave Morrison was hired by the Leafs.

Think he's proven to be very capable of good drafts, and not exactly a fool on draft day.

The fools are the guys that keep throwing away picks in ill-advised deals that the team doesn't need to be making, not the guy advising on picks.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
I think a lot of you have it wrong when it comes to MLSE. Let me explain......

They absolutely know the public and the fans despise them. They want to stop the bleeding. If you think otherwise you're wrong.

Here's another corporate reference. Mcdonald's, the world's leading fast food chain cant shake off the stigma that their food is made of complete garbage or whatever somebody makes up on some random site. They've launched campaign after campaign. Q & A sessions, explaining their whole supply chain, revamping their menu to have healthy food choices etc....all of this to knock off the negative stigma that is damaging their brand and reducing profits. Actually, fast food companies are learning from the mcdonald's experience and are quietly removing high fructose corn syrup, and all potentially harmful gmo food products. It's damage control mcdonalds and damage prevention for the other fast food places.

Mlse is doing damage control. The brought in who they were told was the best. The public forced it, and you got what you asked for. I hated it when it was announced and to this day i still hate him.......yup, brian burke.

Mlse then realized that hiring was an error because burke was just a blowhard yapper. Theyre now just trying their best to correct that mistake with proper management hires but that, unfortunately, takes time

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Only 5 teams have drafted players who have played more games than the Leafs picks, since 2006 - which I think coincides with the year Dave Morrison was hired by the Leafs.

Think he's proven to be very capable of good drafts, and not exactly a fool on draft day.

The fools are the guys that keep throwing away picks in ill-advised deals that the team doesn't need to be making, not the guy advising on picks.

Morrison certainly does have an eye for talent - I do wish he'd approach a bit more of a 'boom/bust' philosophy with some picks - he tend to go for safer options (likely to reach the NHL, but not exactly 1st liners).

It will be interesting to see how he fairs under the new management regime. He was obviously guided into going for grit under Burke (which leads to wasted picks like Ross) but last draft we saw them go for the highly skilled guy under Nylander.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

They absolutely know the public and the fans despise them. They want to stop the bleeding. If you think otherwise you're wrong.

Here's another corporate reference. Mcdonald's, the world's leading fast food chain cant shake off the stigma that their food is made of complete garbage or whatever somebody makes up on some random site. They've launched campaign after campaign. Q & A sessions, explaining their whole supply chain, revamping their menu to have healthy food choices etc....all of this to knock off the negative stigma that is damaging their brand and reducing profits. Actually, fast food companies are learning from the mcdonald's experience and are quietly removing high fructose corn syrup, and all potentially harmful gmo food products. It's damage control mcdonalds and damage prevention for the other fast food places.

Mlse is doing damage control. The brought in who they were told was the best. The public forced it, and you got what you asked for. I hated it when it was announced and to this day i still hate him.......yup, brian burke.

Mlse then realized that hiring was an error because burke was just a blowhard yapper. Theyre now just trying their best to correct that mistake with proper management hires but that, unfortunately, takes time

I have truly lost count how many times this organisation has asked the fan base for a "clock reset"

Quinn
jfj jr
maurice
Wilson
bb
nonis
lieweekly
new mlse owners
shanny
carlyles
horachek

and that like just in the past 10 years and I probably missed a few names

hell, we reset the clock when they hire a new water boy.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Morrison certainly does have an eye for talent - I do wish he'd approach a bit more of a 'boom/bust' philosophy with some picks - he tend to go for safer options (likely to reach the NHL, but not exactly 1st liners).

It will be interesting to see how he fairs under the new management regime. He was obviously guided into going for grit under Burke (which leads to wasted picks like Ross) but last draft we saw them go for the highly skilled guy under Nylander.

Some of the reason for the high number of NHL games being played by Morrison draft picks is that this team has been dreadful since 2006 so these guys who would have been in the minors on good teams have been brought into the lineup for stretches.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto

McDonalds doesn't charge you Black Sea caviar prices while they are re-engineering their Filet of Fish value meal product.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
McDonalds doesn't charge you Black Sea caviar prices while they are re-engineering their Filet of Fish value meal product.

For sure, but the bad publicity doesnt stop them from raising their price either. Im sure plenty of people would refrain from bringing their children to mcdonald's becsause of their stigma, but you dont see mcdonalds dropping prices on happy meals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad