Fan Patience and Rebuilding

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
sorry, what leaf teams were "good" that the media has spun? Please don't mention any team of the last 10 years because they've been a bottom half team in the league for the last 10 years except for once.

Cox , Simmons and Strachan all made a living in the 90's and early 2000's spinning rumors, contradictory articles ect. Toronto's coverage has always had more than it's share of sensationalism . Just now they have more ammo .

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
I get a kick out of tsn and sportsnet. Their coverage of the leafs fallacies is laughable.
Why are the leafs so horrible why won't they try.
Thy better fire the coach make a trade blah blah
Its all sensatonalism

why is it ok for phoenix to tank or buffalo but not the leafs?

who says it's not okay for the leafs? It's never happened so I'm not sure it should even be implied

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Standardly's comparison of MLSE to a car company is spot on. MLSE is as rich and arrogant as GM once was with their massive market share thinking people would just blindly keep on buying their products even though year after year it just became worse and worse junk and all their competitors blew right by them. Now they are just a shell of what they used to be. I almost hope this happens to MLSE one day.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Cox , Simmons and Strachan all made a living in the 90's and early 2000's spinning rumors, contradictory articles ect. Toronto's coverage has always had more than it's share of sensationalism . Just now they have more ammo .

umm, I disagree with you. It's all good. A lot of people hate Simmons but he just called things like he saw it. And if you look back over the past 10 years....he was right. He did have a hate on the muskoka 5 many years ago. He wanted to dump them and start drafting and rebuilding. Leaf fans hate media when they point out the flaws of their team. It's tough hearing the truth.

The leafs have probably been the worst NHL team for the past 10 years. Maybe, maybe, it was worse if you were a Florida Panther fan. With that being considered, how the heck to sources like media get the blame. Please stop coddling the team, management, and owners. We are not their parents and they don't need our protection. They need to get their act together. However, I do believe (finally) the proper management team is in place.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I get a kick out of tsn and sportsnet. Their coverage of the leafs fallacies is laughable.
Its all sensatonalism

ya know LL , that is a question that has both fascinated and boggled me at the same time

if you ask me, that just might be the absolute most relevant, prevalent question that can be asked about this organisation.

the answer to that question just might take us to the heart of ownerships intentions, mandate priorities and possible future success, if any.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Standardly's comparison of MLSE to a car company is spot on. MLSE is as rich and arrogant as GM once was with their massive market share thinking people would just blindly keep on buying their products even though year after year it just became worse and worse junk and all their competitors blew right by them. Now they are just a shell of what they used to be. I almost hope this happens to MLSE one day.

it's pretty much the standard path for big corpse with share holders and boards ,no?

every year the demand and fiduciary responsibility is to improve rate of return

eventually the only things left is to try and sell a sub standard product for premium price , because after all those years of chipping away at this and that to improve ROR , your left with crap.

it's a cannibalistic system.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
umm, I disagree with you. It's all good. A lot of people hate Simmons but he just called things like he saw it. And if you look back over the past 10 years....he was right. He did have a hate on the muskoka 5 many years ago. He wanted to dump them and start drafting and rebuilding. Leaf fans hate media when they point out the flaws of their team. It's tough hearing the truth.

The leafs have probably been the worst NHL team for the past 10 years. Maybe, maybe, it was worse if you were a Florida Panther fan. With that being considered, how the heck to sources like media get the blame. Please stop coddling the team, management, and owners. We are not their parents and they don't need our protection. They need to get their act together. However, I do believe (finally) the proper management team is in place.

Simmons's is a hack and the worst of the bunch. He was constantly spinning unsubstantiated rumors or flat out lies. I've never heard or read anything worth reading into his agendas. He's a **** disturber plain and simple. Cox can be to but at least he can be objective and does right some good stuff. Strachan was a fluffy writer until he lost his sources then started writing some bitter articles .
I honestly don't remember a lot of bad writing in the early 90's but the early 2000's team there was a ton.

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver
I think the leafs will have a real strong push near the end of the year and make it in the playoffs.

Their playoff performance will dictate if they REALLY need to completely fire-sale everyone, or if they just need a re-tool.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Its all sensatonalism

Because most teams, Phoenix/Buffalo reach a point when the realize they are spinning their wheels and are not acquiring the necessary pieces to build a core.
The Leafs never do.
Even now the majority of people believe just get Kessel/Phaneuf help.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Because most teams, Phoenix/Buffalo reach a point when the realize they are spinning their wheels and are not acquiring the necessary pieces to build a core.
The Leafs never do.
Even now the majority of people believe just get Kessel/Phaneuf help.

mmmmm, I hate to say it but I think it goes much deeper then that

I can't for the life of me believe after all these years and we are talking longer then 10 , that every single exec/hockey mind we have brought in here was blind to building through the draft/tank and yet it has not been tried in ever so long.

leafstilldeath*

mmmmm, I hate to say it but I think it goes much deeper then that

I can't for the life of me believe after all these years and we are talking longer then 10 , that every single exec/hockey mind we have brought in here was blind to building through the draft/tank and yet it has not been tried in ever so long.

Larry Tanenbaum is a moron. He has ruined it for the Leafs again and again and again.

I think he owns a 25% stake in the MLSE, although not a majority holder (correct me if am wrong) and he is a chairmn of mlse.

This d-bag has no effing clue how to win. He is all about the dollars. He is not gonna risk putting a young team (tank and rebuild) as there is lways pressure to make the playoffs and rake in the extra dollars.

I have no doubt in my mind that Burke was forced into the Kessel trade as Burke was asked to retool quickly and make the playoffs to rake in the extra dollars.

MLSE is in the business to make money not to ice the winning product. And as long as the d-bag Tanenbaum is a friggen chairman sucking life out of the Leafs I don't know when it will happen.

When Rogers and Bell bought the majority shares I had hope and Pensioners were not trying to maximize profit with Rogers/Bell trying to sell hockey games and info on cell phones (data) and broadcasting rights; they may allow a tank and rebuild.

Now with the Leiweke situation I am feeling that tank and rebuild will not be tolerated and pressure to make playoffs is still there....

only hope now is Hockey Gods intervene and we absolutely SUCK to land a top5 pick (potentially top 3)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Larry Tanenbaum is a moron. He has ruined it for the Leafs again and again and again.

I think he owns a 25% stake in the MLSE, although not a majority holder (correct me if am wrong) and he is a chairmn of mlse.

This d-bag has no effing clue how to win. He is all about the dollars. He is not gonna risk putting a young team (tank and rebuild) as there is lways pressure to make the playoffs and rake in the extra dollars.

I have no doubt in my mind that Burke was forced into the Kessel trade as Burke was asked to retool quickly and make the playoffs to rake in the extra dollars.

MLSE is in the business to make money not to ice the winning product. And as long as the d-bag Tanenbaum is a friggen chairman sucking life out of the Leafs I don't know when it will happen.

When Rogers and Bell bought the majority shares I had hope and Pensioners were not trying to maximize profit with Rogers/Bell trying to sell hockey games and info on cell phones (data) and broadcasting rights; they may allow a tank and rebuild.

Now with the Leiweke situation I am feeling that tank and rebuild will not be tolerated and pressure to make playoffs is still there....

only hope now is Hockey Gods intervene and we absolutely SUCK to land a top5 pick (potentially top 3)

I pretty much agree with everything here except you said "burke was forced to make that trade" I interoperate that as "that specific trade", that I don't buy, to say he was under pressure/orders to speed up the process, ya that I believe.

the mandate is all on the folks above BB, the implementation of that mandate is all on BB, shared blame, different roles

as for your hope, you missed something

shanny in and lieweekly is pretty much out of the picture now(regarding the leafs), from what I have been told.

leafstilldeath*

I pretty much agree with everything here except you said "burke was forced to make that trade" I interoperate that as "that specific trade", that I don't buy, to say he was under pressure/orders to speed up the process, ya that I believe.

the mandate is all on the folks above BB, the implementation of that mandate is all on BB, shared blame, different roles

as for your hope, you missed something

shanny in and lieweekly is pretty much out of the picture now(regarding the leafs), from what I have been told.

I still don't think Burke makes that deal if there was no pressure from the pensioners to make playoffs and have even more profit.

Lieweke is definitely out of anything Leafs I know bout that because Lieweke wanted to unload characterless players and start afresh and was told NO!

The question is will Shanny be allowed to dump lazy no good players and no playoff be tolerated for the next 2 years or so....

OR

Is it still about making the playoffs? Basically, "We want more money than what 82 games bring; we don't care about the cup"

Profit has to increase! This POS MLSE is the only sports organization on the entire planet that raised its ticket prices after their team sucked/choked three seasons in a row.

All the stupidity with MLSE starts with Tanenbaum; that guy needs to be voted out of any decision making process.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think the last 2 Marlie games show just how moronic Leaf fans can be. So being patient is not going to happen with them.

However, I think things will calm down once Leaf management make a clear and undeniable gesture to show the Leafs plans. Right now we are in limbo, is management going to **** up and try to make a push for a playoff spot or are they going to take a step back and start building for the future. Once that happens I truly believe everyone is going to calm the **** down.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
what's the point of being here during that run?

to have to put up with the delusional is mind numbing!

the smart money knows what this team is , the metrics backed them up

no point in trying to point that out during a hot streak, especially on this board.

so just sit back, let this roster prove themselves out, like they have done for years and here we are right back to when they fired Wilson.

epic 18 wheeler, again.

talking about "the 18 wheeler" is jinxing them, you should be here talking and enjoying the winning streak, not all saying "ok, let's start a pool on when the 18 wheeler happens". It has happened a lot, but there is no need to dwell on it and almost look forward to when it happens. Enjoy when they're winning and post as often on the positive as the negative when they're losing. Why are there NO comments during the hot streak and an 18 wheeler truck load when they're losing?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Its all sensatonalism

Well maybe if the team would trade off the skin of the the skeleton and send the message we are building it with new leadership and completely new core. They would get the message if management made the plunge.

We really can't have players that are anything less than the most dedicated and most competitive league wide. The fact we have soft players predominantly throughout the lineup is just asking for it in the leafs market.

This type of player makeup will never make it in Toronto. Having a leading scorer that dis misses and laughs off off season training should not have been accepted for a millisecond by anyone.

Its a bad team,a soft,has suspect character,is one dimensional and somewhat gives off a impression of entitlement. They get off the hook more than they should. I have seen some much better teams take as much or more heat. This team deserves it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
talking about "the 18 wheeler" is jinxing them, you should be here talking and enjoying the winning streak, not all saying "ok, let's start a pool on when the 18 wheeler happens". It has happened a lot, but there is no need to dwell on it and almost look forward to when it happens. Enjoy when they're winning and post as often on the positive as the negative when they're losing. Why are there NO comments during the hot streak and an 18 wheeler truck load when they're losing?

well that answer is very simple for me at least

trying to post positive things during a hot streak (one that I feel deep down is false/fake, unsustainable) would be hollow, basically a lie

to try and point out why it's that

is an exercise in masochistic behaviour on this board.

I don't enjoy when they win and that's it also, it takes them farther away from drafting high and I know damn well and had/have predicted so, that this team will and has once again collapsed into an 18 wheeler,again

before the season started I predicted us drafting 5th overall, unless we got a mvp/vezina type season from berny, then it was a true playoff bubble team, a playoff bubble team, that does not interest me ONE LITTLE BIT.

this is already a middle/primed aged/peaked team that is totally crushed to the cap

if the best we get is playoff bubble? then blow the damn thing up and fix it

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well maybe if the team would trade off the skin of the the skeleton and send the message we are building it with new leadership and completely new core. They would get the message if management made the plunge.

We really can't have players that are anything less than the most dedicated and most competitive league wide. The fact we have soft players predominantly throughout the lineup is just asking for it in the leafs market.

This type of player makeup will never make it in Toronto. Having a leading scorer that dis misses and laughs off off season training should not have been accepted for a millisecond by anyone.

Its a bad team,a soft,has suspect character,is one dimensional and somewhat gives off a impression of entitlement. They get off the hook more than they should. I have seen some much better teams take as much or more heat. This team deserves it.

oh man, you are oh soooo right on that.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Bell/Rogers are too big and too powerful and have too much invested to draft rebuild intentionally.

They have made promises and commitments to corporate sponsors, advertisers, TV rights purchasers, luxuary box suite owners and season ticket holders etc etc that they need to fulfill.

This really has very little to do with fan patience and rebuilding in their big picture of managing a fortune 500 company. They don't need to be trying only giving the appearance that they are and as long as the ACC remains sold out they keep churning along as business as usual.

The little guy looking for a free on-line stream to watch Leaf games is not their target market audience, the corporations that are buying their luxuary suites and boxes, or investing hundreds of thousands of $$$ in sponsorships and advertising are. They sort their priorities by Most Money ------> Least Money invested.

So avoiding the playoffs, which generates the highest returns with virtually no cost, is the key to financial success. Who knew?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So avoiding the playoffs, which generates the highest returns with virtually no cost, is the key to financial success. Who knew?

no

selling us the hope that there could be playoffs for the past 10 years and producing squat and getting away with it

is the key.

fool me once shame on you

fool me twice shame on me

fool me 10 times, well that's beyond description

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010

Pretty much. They're an easy team to play against. Aside from defensive problems which is another matter in the o zone they're a perimeter team for the most part rarely having anyone drive through traffic to the net who has skill. JVR does when he's on his game and Clarkson does but hasn't good enough hands or skill to make a huge difference though. Aside from that there's really nobody who's tough to play against or contain. It would make a world of difference opening up lanes and options for some of the skilled guys like Kessel or even gardiner if someone was creating havoc in front. Gards would look like a star on a team who had a strong physical forward line up because he's great getting the puck into dangerous areas but no one is there to score the garbage and he lacks the imagination to make anything else of it. Frustrating to watch. It's the entire reason they like to score off the rush or on the pp . Also makes a big difference to this team when Lupol's in or out because he's 1 of the few that can do this. Not really seeing it getting much better either with the main prospects being not much different. Not saying they aren't good players but way to much of the same thing.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
While very true that a long playoff run is pure gravy for MLSE it is very puzzling that a profit driven corporation with the most financial resources in the NHL could be so inept at reaching that very goal to the point that they have only had 3 playoff home games since 2004. It's actually staggeringly unbelievable

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nothing sells a sports brand more than winning does. Even when the leafs have had some good teams the media has always spun lots of negative sun articles so that's nothing new. I really doubt a franchise worth a billion and owners that are worth billions just fly blindly and not know any of this.

sorry, what leaf teams were "good" that the media has spun? Please don't mention any team of the last 10 years because they've been a bottom half team in the league for the last 10 years except for once.

I don't know how old you guys are, but I was around and going to games when the Leafs were making the playoffs regularly.

Sensationalism in Toronto media? Sure. But let's not discount that the team did have two conference final appearances under Quinn.

On both occasions, the media was very favorable towards the Leafs. I remember reading a piece after Brian Leetch was traded to Toronto which basically implied that if the Leafs don't win the cup *now*, that it would be a disaster. But they acknowledged at the Leafs had a good enough team to challenge for the cup.

I remember Berezin scoring the series winner against the Penguins, and reading an article (I think it was the Toronto Star) about how this team had the feels of a team that couldn't be stopped - they lost in the next round, but there's been plenty of examples of media in this city being fair and favorable to the Leafs if they deserve it - mixed in with the usual sensationalism, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad