Fallout 76

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I decided to pick this up on Black Friday and it's actually pretty fun. I enjoyed my experience so far. It feels a little bare, but it's also so fun running around a wasteland with your friend.

I hope they eventually add NPCs, if they extend the map. It would feel much better.

I also haven't seen a single bug in about 5-hours of playing.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO PLAY ON PC, reply and I'll gladly play with you sometime!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It’s amazing that this game is already $35. Such a ****ty thing to do to people who preordered it or bought it on launch.
This happens for many titles on Black Friday. As a WWE Games fan, it does every year. And the game usually comes it later then it did this year.

Games that release right before it or boxing day are bad to buy early unless it's like Nintendo who never discounts there games.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So I have a rant that, while in no way is Fallout 76's fault, is still related to Fallout 76. I didn't know where else to put it, so forgive me.

I normally don't pre-order video games because of the unnecessary risk involved with very little payoff. However, I sometimes take advantage of the $30 off deal that pops up around E3, as best case scenario you get a game at launch for cheap that you can trade in for credit later, and worst case you can trade it in to EB Games and get the vast majority of your money back.

This year, I pre-ordered Fallout 76 from Wal-Mart, as one of my friends really wanted to play together. However, as more and more red flags started to show up, we both decided to cancel the order. I got my confirmation e-mail from Wal-Mart. No problem.

Fast forward to two days after launch, and I received a notice from Wal-Mart saying my game had been shipped to my local store. Not only did this notice say that they had charged me (late, I might add) for an order I had cancelled months ago, but the receipt also showed a charge for the full price of the game rather than the discounted price.

Naturally I called the Wal-Mart support line, and they helpfully informed me that yes, they were, in fact, "for serious". Their solution was to simply return it to the local store.

Upon arriving at my local store, they helpfully informed me that they didn't have "my" game and didn't know where it was.

Calling back into the Wal-Mart support line, I asked a refund which, thankfully, I received. However, looking at my refund confirmation, I noticed the refund amount was lower than what I had paid.

Digging up my original receipt, I concluded that instead of charging me the Ontario standard 13% tax rate (I know, right?), they had in fact charged me a flat $13. Instead of additionally refunding the difference (which the could not "find", apparently), they offered me a $10 e-voucher (as if I'd happily shop with their online store ever again).

In conclusion, Wal-Mart Canada's online store is hot freakin' garbage and Fallout 76 is the worst game I've never played. :laugh:

Go Sears yourself.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Spent much of the afternoon configuring a new batch of mods for FO4. Have a new GTX 1070 Ti coming tomorrow, so getting everything prepped for a nice playthrough with Sim Settlements and Horizon as the two major mods.

Haven't played with Horizon before, looks like something I'm really going to enjoy.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So I have a rant that, while in no way is Fallout 76's fault, is still related to Fallout 76. I didn't know where else to put it, so forgive me.

I normally don't pre-order video games because of the unnecessary risk involved with very little payoff. However, I sometimes take advantage of the $30 off deal that pops up around E3, as best case scenario you get a game at launch for cheap that you can trade in for credit later, and worst case you can trade it in to EB Games and get the vast majority of your money back.

This year, I pre-ordered Fallout 76 from Wal-Mart, as one of my friends really wanted to play together. However, as more and more red flags started to show up, we both decided to cancel the order. I got my confirmation e-mail from Wal-Mart. No problem.

Fast forward to two days after launch, and I received a notice from Wal-Mart saying my game had been shipped to my local store. Not only did this notice say that they had charged me (late, I might add) for an order I had cancelled months ago, but the receipt also showed a charge for the full price of the game rather than the discounted price.

Naturally I called the Wal-Mart support line, and they helpfully informed me that yes, they were, in fact, "for serious". Their solution was to simply return it to the local store.

Upon arriving at my local store, they helpfully informed me that they didn't have "my" game and didn't know where it was.

Calling back into the Wal-Mart support line, I asked a refund which, thankfully, I received. However, looking at my refund confirmation, I noticed the refund amount was lower than what I had paid.

Digging up my original receipt, I concluded that instead of charging me the Ontario standard 13% tax rate (I know, right?), they had in fact charged me a flat $13. Instead of additionally refunding the difference (which the could not "find", apparently), they offered me a $10 e-voucher (as if I'd happily shop with their online store ever again).

In conclusion, Wal-Mart Canada's online store is hot freakin' garbage and Fallout 76 is the worst game I've never played. :laugh:

Go Sears yourself.
I've had similar experiences. Except on the other side.

My orders were cancelled because they wouldn't let me change my expired card. I wasn't happy, but fine.

Except... I got the next game in the mail. God of War. Free of charge considering the account they had on file didn't exist anymore.

I call them. Explain the situation. They're very thankful of my honesty. I was told they would send a bill in the mail I could pay at any local Wal-Mart. They were going to send a $10 gift card as well. They made sure the rest of my order was cancelled.

Bill never came.

Guess what happens next? Spiderman comes in the mail, from the same order. Free of charge.

Quite an awful online store.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
My distaste for online games is the only reason I was saved from this trap, and I almost ignored that part of my brain because I love the Fallout world (and overall games) so much. Thank god RD2 was out around the same time & I decided to go that route first.

Yeah I was in the same boat, just didn't have the willpower to say no

Reactions: Bocephus86

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Go Sears yourself.

I had the same issue through BestBuy. I don’t understand how it’s so hard to cancel a preorder

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It's a very very flawed game. The fact you and your buddies have to re-log around to even be seen on the friends list to invite is disgraceful.

When you finally do get there with your buddies (not a single soul should play this alone), all of you are looking at a scrapper or MY STASH for 20 minutes. This is a fundamental flaw in the game - it cannot be fixed by adding more weight to your stash etc.

I actually do have fun for the 5-10% of the time we actually get to do something. Sadly the part where you have buddies on your team, going out killing shit, it's either short due to inventory space or impossible as your buddy didn't even join due to MY STASH.

I've made it to lvl 20 now... after hours and hours of boosting new players in our group.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I'm level 30, and got there entirely playing solo.

I'm going to step in here and if it was Reddit get downvoted to hell, simply because everyone is on the Fallout 76 hate hype train.

So I'll satisfy you people off the bat with what they did wrong:
- Long distance rendering is horrible
- It freezes too much, but in the last week seems non-existent
- No story - EXCEPT THERE IS.
- Set up for Microtransactions on Atoms. About every single game out there these days, also easily farmed.

Now moving on:

Yes, the game does have a story if you care to follow it. You have to read or hear it but the story is there and it is canon to the Fallout Universe. It's funny that people say there isn't, because they're clearly the people who just spam x over every cut scene and mission brief in every game. There is a story, follow it. In fact, the quest "Cold Case" may be the best Fallout quest I've come across in 10 years. Especially knowing going in they're all dead.

PvP - there are Hunter vs Hunted for it. Also it's easy to get a Wanted level. I randomly got one without realizing that picking the lock to someone's camp would give it. Questing solo people came at me, I killed one guy, waited in the dark for his revenge, shot him dead again. Then let the 3rd guy just do it because I didn't want to PvP.

PvE - it's top notch, notice how you never see anyone complain?

It's Fallout 4 DLC with random idiots due to online added in. Except after the first hour, you'll rarely see those random idiots ever again.

It's a good game. It deserves some rage but not in the worst game ever made - that's absurd. Is it the worst Fallout Game since Fallout 3? I don't even know that's true.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I had the same issue through BestBuy. I don’t understand how it’s so hard to cancel a preorder
Gamestop FUBAR'd my pre-order as well. I had honestly forgot that I pre-ordered this game and when I went to get Lets Go Pikachu, I decided to pick it up. I decided to return the game after reading the reviews and speaking with some people. However, Gamestop didn't actually ring up the game. My receipt just showed Lets Go Pikachu, a pre-order item and the two games I traded in. I couldn't even return the game. Luckily, I needed a new headset and planned on getting store credit anyway but the fact that it happened really pissed me off.

I have never bought a game and returned it before even opening it. At least, I don't recall doing it.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
My dream is for some other company to somehow acquire the Fallout IP from Bethesda but I know that will never happen. It just sucks knowing they will continue to run my favourite game franchise into the ground for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: SniperHF

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

I'm going to step in here and if it was Reddit get downvoted to hell, simply because everyone is on the Fallout 76 hate hype train.

- Set up for Microtransactions on Atoms. About every single game out there these days, also easily farmed.

Now moving on:

Yes, the game does have a story if you care to follow it. You have to read or hear it but the story is there and it is canon to the Fallout Universe. It's funny that people say there isn't, because they're clearly the people who just spam x over every cut scene and mission brief in every game. There is a story, follow it. In fact, the quest "Cold Case" may be the best Fallout quest I've come across in 10 years. Especially knowing going in they're all dead.

PvP - there are Hunter vs Hunted for it. Also it's easy to get a Wanted level. I randomly got one without realizing that picking the lock to someone's camp would give it. Questing solo people came at me, I killed one guy, waited in the dark for his revenge, shot him dead again. Then let the 3rd guy just do it because I didn't want to PvP.

It's Fallout 4 DLC with random idiots due to online added in. Except after the first hour, you'll rarely see those random idiots ever again.

It's a good game. It deserves some rage but not in the worst game ever made - that's absurd. Is it the worst Fallout Game since Fallout 3? I don't even know that's true.
I've seen lots of people complain about the PvE. In fact, I think that's what I've seen most. I didn't buy the game, and have no plans to, but I have seen several reviewers talk about their disappointment with the PvE, how the Scorch enemies don't have the personality or fun of the old raiders, and how the AI is lacking. Also seems to be some concern with how VATS is handled since it can't pause the game like it does in the single player experiences. Again, I haven't played the game, this is simply what I've read online/seen on Youtube. They seem to be legitimate concerns from legitimate reviewers without any real bias or reason for them to want to hate the game, though.

This seems a lot like No Man's Sky to me. It was a bit oversold and didn't live up to everyone's expectations. Some people, though, still seem to like it quite a bit. I'm glad you enjoy it. From what I've seen I think there's a niche audience that's going to enjoy it, but that audience doesn't seem to overlap very well with fans of the series.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I've seen lots of people complain about the PvE. In fact, I think that's what I've seen most. I didn't buy the game, and have no plans to, but I have seen several reviewers talk about their disappointment with the PvE, how the Scorch enemies don't have the personality or fun of the old raiders, and how the AI is lacking. Also seems to be some concern with how VATS is handled since it can't pause the game like it does in the single player experiences. Again, I haven't played the game, this is simply what I've read online/seen on Youtube. They seem to be legitimate concerns from legitimate reviewers without any real bias or reason for them to want to hate the game, though.

This seems a lot like No Man's Sky to me. It was a bit oversold and didn't live up to everyone's expectations. Some people, though, still seem to like it quite a bit. I'm glad you enjoy it. From what I've seen I think there's a niche audience that's going to enjoy it, but that audience doesn't seem to overlap very well with fans of the series.
Hopefully it's exactly like No Man's Sky because it's become one of the best open world games on the market. Phenomenal.

This game needs a lot of work. But I can see a great game there. The enemies are the worst. They just glide across the world. Trying to shoot them without VATS is nearly impossible.

The difference is No Man's Sky was clean when it was released. But had no contact and people were lied to plenty about features that were not in the game.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Now moving on:

You have every right to disagree with me and I may be entirely wrong (having only putzed around in Beta and watched footage online), but I feel like this game took Fallout 4, put it online, stripped away the stuff I liked (VATS, characters, the plot, interesting side story lines, the perk system) and doubled down on the stuff I disliked (the shooting, graphics, the same bugs, the mundane side quests, the settlement building) and decided to make holotapes, a previously interesting bit of background information to supplement the story and overall lore, the main driving force of the game.

Granted, they added the online capability (when it actually lets you join on friends) and the survival elements, but to me they took out far more than they gave.

I feel like it's so far from what Todd said it was going to be. Fallout with friends sounded great, but not when they took out the part that made Fallout interesting for me in the first place. Replacing NPCs with real people was never going to work the way they wanted it to.

As a caveat, Fallout 4 was my first and (thus far) only Fallout game.

Hopefully it's exactly like No Man's Sky because it's become one of the best open world games on the market. Phenomenal.

This game needs a lot of work. But I can see a great game there. The enemies are the worst. They just glide across the world. Trying to shoot them without VATS is nearly impossible.

The difference is No Man's Sky was clean when it was released. But had no contact and people were lied to plenty about features that were not in the game.

"Clean" might be a bit strong (the crash was strong with that game, particularly on PS4), but I see the similarity between NMS and 76 in the "16x the detail" and "see distant weather storms across the map" and "it just works" and "you'll never see a server" style promises on stage that turned out to be completely false.

If 76 can manage a No Man's Sky-esque redemption in the eyes of consumers, more power to them. I may even pick it up down the line if I get it for a decent price and have friends playing.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I thought people were overreacting, but then I saw AngryJoe's review and holy cow that is bad. Not only bad, but the Bethsada bloke pretty much lied his entire ass off in the E3 presentation. Didn't see this much lying like I saw with No Man's Sky and of course EA on a daily basis.

I never played a Fallout game (was wanting to do Fallout 4, but heard it was boring) and was really looking forward to this one, but I guess I am going to skip it all together.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I thought people were overreacting, but then I saw AngryJoe's review and holy cow that is bad. Not only bad, but the Bethsada bloke pretty much lied his entire ass off in the E3 presentation. Didn't see this much lying like I saw with No Man's Sky and of course EA on a daily basis.

I never played a Fallout game (was wanting to do Fallout 4, but heard it was boring) and was really looking forward to this one, but I guess I am going to skip it all together.

I think Fallout 4 got a lot of flak for a change in direction from the previous installments, but as someone who played 4 as his first Fallout game, I will recommend it.

It has more than its fair share of technical problems, but it was a fun adventure. I highly recommend creating a Luck based character. :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I've played every Fallout. Fallout 4 is good. It's not quite as good as 3 or New Vegas, but that doesn't make it bad.

Fallout 76 has some really nice things as well, but the game just does not work. The enemies literally float to you. You can't hit them without VATS. It's just a mess. I'm sure they won't risk their reputation before Elder Scrolls 6, so I expect them to work hard on making 76 good. It's 100% fun with a friend, mostly because of the world. But most games are fun with friends.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Okay. I'm back.

I've reached lvl 70 now - main quest line almost done. Then again, I've killed the queen nearly 10 times already as other people nuke.

My immidiate thoughts right now is to shut the game down for a month, spend that time fixing bugs and other obvious problems.

Then re-launch with everyone starting from scratch.

As is, with the duping bug just yesterday along with instability of client etc - this game will not recover in time with once a week maintenance.

I still like to log in and play, but it seems bethesda is actually working against my wish to play. It's disgraceful.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I've played every Fallout. Fallout 4 is good. It's not quite as good as 3 or New Vegas, but that doesn't make it bad.

Fallout 76 has some really nice things as well, but the game just does not work. The enemies literally float to you. You can't hit them without VATS. It's just a mess. I'm sure they won't risk their reputation before Elder Scrolls 6, so I expect them to work hard on making 76 good. It's 100% fun with a friend, mostly because of the world. But most games are fun with friends.

What are you even talking about? If anything VATS makes it harder to hit them and is a detriment. I mean unless you have no aim at all, and I hate to be one of those "get good" people, but unreal. Aiming and hitting people is by far the least of my concerns in this game, to the point I actually ignore my Agility stats because VATS is useless.

They don't float to you, they have enemies that rush you for sure. Ghouls, Scorched, Mutants, it can be annoying but if you don't go in running in bull in a china shop like nobody will hear you, you can easily just sneak on up and snipe everyone, no VATS needed or anyone rushing you.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
You have every right to disagree with me and I may be entirely wrong (having only putzed around in Beta and watched footage online), but I feel like this game took Fallout 4, put it online, stripped away the stuff I liked (VATS, characters, the plot, interesting side story lines, the perk system) and doubled down on the stuff I disliked (the shooting, graphics, the same bugs, the mundane side quests, the settlement building) and decided to make holotapes, a previously interesting bit of background information to supplement the story and overall lore, the main driving force of the game.

Granted, they added the online capability (when it actually lets you join on friends) and the survival elements, but to me they took out far more than they gave.

I feel like it's so far from what Todd said it was going to be. Fallout with friends sounded great, but not when they took out the part that made Fallout interesting for me in the first place. Replacing NPCs with real people was never going to work the way they wanted it to.

See this is where not playing the game and reading the hate train is actually sending people off course.

- They didn't take out NPC's. At all. There are NPC's all over the place, and they do give quests and story lines. The only thing they did was decide to make NPC's non-human characters, so that when you're out in the world the humans you run into are real people. But there are NPCs. At almost every location.

And again this game wasn't supposed to be Fallout 5. I feel like everyone jumping on the hate train went into the game thinking Oh man here we go, Fallout 5. When they specifically said, this is not Fallout 5. Any more than Elder Scrolls Online was Elder Scrolls 6. That game came and went with no concern.

I was actually here in the thread on reveal being like "Ugh." Disappointing it's not Fallout 5 or even a spin off. But that was clearly said going in.
Playing this game I'm actually on the other side, pretty happy that it's almost like Fallout 4 solo type shit than some dumb co-op or battle with strangers thing. In fact, the Fallout 76 online community seem to be the coolest mind your own business people Ive ever run across in an online game. You'll see them, give a wave, maybe drop some items you have duplicates of and go on your separate ways. Or I've been in over my head and happy to see someone run up unexpectedly in Power Armor level 95 and destroy them for me. Other than that, you're on your own if you want to be.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

Ha what personality or fun of Raiders? In every Fallout game 3, NV, 4, they all do the same thing - shoot at you on sight. So do the Scorched.

- Also you cannot randomly pause an online game, I don't know what people expected with VATS. It's borderline useless, I've had it success a few times for me but at range. But for what it could do in this game, I think they kind of got the best mid ground. Enemies lock in and you got to take your shot when it's 80% and up. It works, I mean again you can't pause the entire game to aim with it being a dynamic world.

Of course there's a reason for them to - Views. Get on the train one way or another. Guarantee 90% of them would be live broadcasting their love for it if the tide went the other way.

Here's the gist of it though and I really think it boils down to these two points:
1. Bethesda came straight out and said "This isn't Fallout 5" and explained what it was. So if you got the disappointment out of the way from E3 that day, ok, maybe I can have fun with this.
2. People ignored that shit for some reason and expected Fallout 5. It's not. It was never supposed to be, so these morons need to stop comparing it to Skyrim and Fallout 3/4/NV. Now maybe compare it to Elder Scrolls Online and you're in the right wheelhouse. Like if I ranted about Tales from the Borderlands not being Borderlands 3, it's idiotic.

But as it comes out, it's actually pretty awesome that it's a solo Fallout game as much as you want it to be, if you don't there's that option too. It's Fallout 4 in a new setting. They chose the wrong franchise to take online, as a Lone Wanderer - you don't want online people. They have a great setting, story and idea and I think it mainly pisses people off that it's all there for it to be a Fallout 5, and not Fallout 76, if they put in the extra effort.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
What are you even talking about? If anything VATS makes it harder to hit them and is a detriment. I mean unless you have no aim at all, and I hate to be one of those "get good" people, but unreal. Aiming and hitting people is by far the least of my concerns in this game, to the point I actually ignore my Agility stats because VATS is useless.

They don't float to you, they have enemies that rush you for sure. Ghouls, Scorched, Mutants, it can be annoying but if you don't go in running in bull in a china shop like nobody will hear you, you can easily just sneak on up and snipe everyone, no VATS needed or anyone rushing you.
Maybe you shouldn't be so stuck up to tell me what I do and do not see?

And I'm a pretty decent gamer - so my aim is fine.

You like this game. We get it. I want too but it's a buggy piece of shit with high potential.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

I thoroughly enjoyed FO4 but I'm also relatively new to the FO universe (having only played FO3, FO:NV & FO4). I loved/love all three, but my clear order is NV -> 3 -> 4. However, I highly recommend 4, especially if you haven't played a FO game before. Most of the hate FO4 got was about dumbed down interactions. The big change was you only have 4 possible responses in any dialogue, often leading in the same direction anyway. That's common in most games but in prior FOs (especially NV) there was a lot more available to you, some even perk/character style dependent, so old fans, hoping for a step forward, were disappointed with the step back. That's not something that you'd really notice.

In short: People were hoping for a game with more quirky/varied characters/interactions/quests than New Vegas and instead got a game that was a step back from New Vegas in that regard. It was a step forward nearly everywhere else, but, to most FO fans, that is the charm of the franchise. In essence, FO4 went closer to how most other mainstream games are handling these things now.

The world is fun, I enjoy (basic) base building & the power armor actually feels like power armor for the first time. For those reasons, I'd recommend it. Especially if you can get all the DLC with it for a fairly decent price now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00