Fallout 76

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I don't find the guy or his violent outburst to be funny in the least, but I burst out laughing when the employee answered the phone with "Thank you for calling GameStop. This is Bryan. How can I help you" as though none of that just happened. It's almost like he'd seen it before and knew that it was coming.
Agreed with everything written. Also, the dude that walks in as soon as the outbreak occurred was hilarious as
well. That's exactly how I would have reacted.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Buggy absolutely and that part does suck. They deserve blame for that.

Otherwise the mob mentality is a little over the top. There is a story, it’s not blasted with cut scenes and QTEs but there is a story. Takes reading and listening which is an effort. I enjoy it I can see how others skip over it all and say there’s no story though.

But to compare it between FO3 and Skyrim is a lot of where my issue with the criticism lies. They went right on stage and said “this is not Fallout 5, don’t expect it to be Fallout 5”. Yet reviews went in expecting it to be Fallout 5. It’s ridiculous.

My disappointment came when I realized 3 minutes into the announcement that it wasn’t Fallout 5 or even a side sequel like New Vegas. I knew what I was getting into because they clearly said what the game was and did they deliver. Without question, it’s what I expected and more.

Now if I had gone in expecting a sequel to Fallout 4 - yeah I’d be livid. But that would be my own fault.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I had my first expectations in check and that’s why I had no interest in this game from the announcement.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Buggy absolutely and that part does suck. They deserve blame for that.

Otherwise the mob mentality is a little over the top. There is a story, it’s not blasted with cut scenes and QTEs but there is a story. Takes reading and listening which is an effort. I enjoy it I can see how others skip over it all and say there’s no story though.

But to compare it between FO3 and Skyrim is a lot of where my issue with the criticism lies. They went right on stage and said “this is not Fallout 5, don’t expect it to be Fallout 5”. Yet reviews went in expecting it to be Fallout 5. It’s ridiculous.

My disappointment came when I realized 3 minutes into the announcement that it wasn’t Fallout 5 or even a side sequel like New Vegas. I knew what I was getting into because they clearly said what the game was and did they deliver. Without question, it’s what I expected and more.

Now if I had gone in expecting a sequel to Fallout 4 - yeah I’d be livid. But that would be my own fault.

Agreed, although I think there are plenty of reviews who say it's just a bad online experience in general (quests, PvP, server issues, etc.). I can't speak to whether or not they are right, but what I've seen has scared me off.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
It’s not though. There’s issues I think could be easily fixed for sure. Server issues happen, I can’t really think of an online game that it doesn’t happen in but the amount of time to rejoin a world is minuscule. Especially in comparison to finding and starting anything in GTA Online which is praised up.

PvP I think they wanted to scale back initial reaction of fears it would be a grief fest and for now it’s possibly too far the other way. Easy fix to balance both sides I would think would be hot zones that rotate where you know the danger of what your heading towards and have higher value loot in those zones. Ignore them if you want or go in guns blazing. There’s also a Hunter/Hunted mode which is full PvP you tune into on radio to activate but it seems nobody is aware it exists.

I think they are on to something here and it needs to be worked on but nothing that’s not easily fixed in coming updates they’ve mentioned.

It is what it is, Fallout 4 DLC with online mode. And probably that’s how it should have been released, backlash probably entirely avoided and more than likely people would love what they added in. But to have places like IGN rank it with some of their worst rated games ever is entirely BS and internet gaming pitchfork mentality.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I saw this game for $40 last night at Best Buy. The game came out what, 2 weeks ago? So glad I cancelled my pre-order. BB must be thrilled to be sitting on all those copies and Xbone X bundles.

But then today at Target, they had one of the 12" Fallout 4 bobbleheads for 2/3 off (I still love the lore/art, and collect bobbleheads, so win).

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I know it’s Black Friday sales but wow at the game already going on sale. Even on the PSN Store.

Real gut punch for early adopters but I can’t feel sorry for anyone who bought it and now feels ripped off. For any game really, not just FO76....but especially with FO76

I’m seriously considering buying FO4, it’s on sale on PSN Store. Are there any particular issues with it? I know Bethesda games often run especially bad on PlayStation.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
I know it’s Black Friday sales but wow at the game already going on sale. Even on the PSN Store.

Real gut punch for early adopters but I can’t feel sorry for anyone who bought it and now feels ripped off. For any game really, not just FO76....but especially with FO76

I’m seriously considering buying FO4, it’s on sale on PSN Store. Are there any particular issues with it? I know Bethesda games often run especially bad on PlayStation.

FO4 is working fine for me (on PC) but to get the most out of it you need to mod it. I currently have 170+ mods installed.
Allot those are plug-in mods for the larger Sim Settlements mod which practically is as extensive like a whole DLC
except that is completely free of charge and regularly updated + it's own support forum.
A thread about "essential mods".

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

What's it going for on PSN (FO4)? DLC included or base game?

I played it for PS4 originally and enjoyed it. It's not as great as FO3/FONV but it's a good fallout game. I didn't run into any (serious) bugs that I can remember on PS4. But I later got it on PC (after building a new gaming PC 2 Xmas's ago) & it is better with more mod options.

Really it comes down to cost & how much you enjoy fallout games. I would recommend it, but that type of RPG is my favorite type of game so I am heavily biased. And it's also set in my neck of the woods so I get a kick over recognizing areas from the greater boston area.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I couldn't see myself playing FO4 not on a PC, without Nexus mods and the ~, but it's stable, if you don't bog down the game with a ton of on-screen things. Example, I just like doing massive battles of Gunners, BOS, vs ghouls (with the zombie mod), and more than a couple hundred on-screen NPCs will crash things. Also, I'm not sure if it's possible to kill Liberty Prime.

FO4 is a decent game, just not a great Fallout...the whole Institute storyline just cheesed me off.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Sounds like a no. Works for me. I wasn’t in love with it the first time I played it on XB1.

I still haven’t played New Vegas at all though so after being in love 3 that’s the one i really want to play next. Sounds like PC is the only way to go though.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Sounds like a no. Works for me. I wasn’t in love with it the first time I played it on XB1.

I still haven’t played New Vegas at all though so after being in love 3 that’s the one i really want to play next. Sounds like PC is the only way to go though.
I played NV on PS3 the first time; near the end my save files were so big the game would bog down & have all sorts of issues. Got the game & all DLCs pretty cheap on PC about a year ago & never ran into any issues like that. First & only time I actually beat the game since the lagging/large save file issue on PS3 would make the game near unplayable near the end (I'm sure if I did only the main quests just to finish, I could have made it work on PS3, but what's the fun in that).

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

FO4 is fine now. Its been out three years. Ive got hundreds of hours in it (on Xbox) and have maybe had 5-6 lockups requiring a game reset. I can live with that.

Its better on Xbox though, because the mods are much better. PS severely limits mods.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm trying so hard to get into this game...I know its gonna be one of those that is better as you rank up and go along and get better gear but man it's hard to get into

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I packed it in after about 10-12 hours and moved on to Spider Man, I will probably go back to it eventually, hopefully they do like No Man's Sky and patch in a better storyline at some point

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It’s interesting how divisive the title is. I watch a stream and I can’t imagine anyone having fun in this game unless you’re playing with a group of friends(and really you’re enjoying the company of your friends, not the game itself). At the same time I see people willing to defend this thing to the death. There just doesn’t seem like there’s anything to do really. Like some boring fetch quests or building some shitty base that might get deleted when you log off just doesn’t seem interesting. Why wouldn’t you just play Rust? It’s basically the same game with substantially better base building mechanics and without as many bugs. It also has real PvP with a reward for killing another player. It’s amazing that this game is already $35. Such a shitty thing to do to people who preordered it or bought it on launch.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It’s interesting how divisive the title is. I watch a stream and I can’t imagine anyone having fun in this game unless you’re playing with a group of friends(and really you’re enjoying the company of your friends, not the game itself). At the same time I see people willing to defend this thing to the death. There just doesn’t seem like there’s anything to do really. Like some boring fetch quests or building some ****ty base that might get deleted when you log off just doesn’t seem interesting. Why wouldn’t you just play Rust? It’s basically the same game with substantially better base building mechanics and without as many bugs. It also has real PvP with a reward for killing another player. It’s amazing that this game is already $35. Such a ****ty thing to do to people who preordered it or bought it on launch.

I think the answer there is the Fallout world is a really interesting one, so the exploring aspect appeals to fans of the series.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It’s interesting how divisive the title is. I watch a stream and I can’t imagine anyone having fun in this game unless you’re playing with a group of friends(and really you’re enjoying the company of your friends, not the game itself). At the same time I see people willing to defend this thing to the death. There just doesn’t seem like there’s anything to do really. Like some boring fetch quests or building some ****ty base that might get deleted when you log off just doesn’t seem interesting. Why wouldn’t you just play Rust? It’s basically the same game with substantially better base building mechanics and without as many bugs. It also has real PvP with a reward for killing another player. It’s amazing that this game is already $35. Such a ****ty thing to do to people who preordered it or bought it on launch.
I mean, every single time one of these games come out, folks are bombarded with messages about not pre-ordering these games from the AAA Developers. It sucks for those that did, but really find it hard to be sympathetic because the warnings and red flags were certainly there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I don't get the big deal.

I never got the impression based on any of the pre-release coverage that this was anything other than a multiplayer mod for Fallout 4.

I didn't really have any interest in getting it despite buying Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

I'm actually doing another run of Skyrim (this time Skyrim SE) and some of the mods are brilliant.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I mean, every single time one of these games come out, folks are bombarded with messages about not pre-ordering these games from the AAA Developers. It sucks for those that did, but really find it hard to be sympathetic because the warnings and red flags were certainly there.
I would normally agree, but this is a special case because the only way to get access to the Beta was to preorder the game. Even if you realized you hated it while playing the Beta, you're out of luck if you preordered through the Playstation Store(and maybe the xBox Store, but I don't know that for certain). PSN just doesn't offer refunds, so if you got the Beta and realized it wasn't for you there wasn't much you could do about it. Obviously that's the risk you take preordering through a digital marketplace, but not everybody has the option of going to a brick and mortar store to preorder. I just think it's a scummy practice all around and should severely alter the blind trust people have for Bethesda products in general.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I would normally agree, but this is a special case because the only way to get access to the Beta was to preorder the game. Even if you realized you hated it while playing the Beta, you're out of luck if you preordered through the Playstation Store(and maybe the xBox Store, but I don't know that for certain). PSN just doesn't offer refunds, so if you got the Beta and realized it wasn't for you there wasn't much you could do about it. Obviously that's the risk you take preordering through a digital marketplace, but not everybody has the option of going to a brick and mortar store to preorder. I just think it's a scummy practice all around and should severely alter the blind trust people have for Bethesda products in general.
Well thats kind of my point. These pre-order bonuses (Beta, exclusive appearances/items...etc) are added to encourage you to make a bad decision and preorder the game. I imagine they will up the ante if pre-order sales start to decline. We've seen so many of these games get overhyped and bomb on release recently, that pre-ordering should be a no-go from the start. Personally, the only studios I would pre-order from is CD Project Red and some Nintendo titles.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Well thats kind of my point. These pre-order bonuses (Beta, exclusive appearances/items...etc) are added to encourage you to make a bad decision and preorder the game. I imagine they will up the ante if pre-order sales start to decline. We've seen so many of these games get overhyped and bomb on release recently, that pre-ordering should be a no-go from the start. Personally, the only studios I would pre-order from is CD Project Red and some Nintendo titles.

And even then, unless you want a collector's edition or get a significant discount or something, there's not much point in pre-ordering.

I'm far more wary of Bethesda pre-orders since they instituted that review embargo.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
My distaste for online games is the only reason I was saved from this trap, and I almost ignored that part of my brain because I love the Fallout world (and overall games) so much. Thank god RD2 was out around the same time & I decided to go that route first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad