Fallout 76

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
This must be some marketing prank by Obsidian? My god Bethesda is stupid.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have spent $7 in Red Dead Online and I view that purchase as a thank you to the developers for making a great game.

That of course is on top of the tremendous, dozens of hours long single player campaign that I enjoyed when the game launched.

AND EVEN THEN....

I still wouldn’t pay $12/month to play Red Dead Online.

Whale hunting must be insanely lucrative because this obviously isn’t any kind of mass market approach.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yyyyyyyyyyikes.

The bombs are supposed to go off in the game. Not inside your own business. Especially off the Outer Worlds hype coming in, this is just about the worst business move in recent memory. Maybe ever.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
God damn. This is enough to get me to totally write Bethesda off on future releases. I didn't play a second of this game, but they have fully circled the drain at this point.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
cover6.jpg

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's amazing how much damage Bethesda has done to their image in the last several years. I can't imagine they've made enough money from paid mods or FO76 for it to be worth it, it's gonna cost them with Starfield and ES6 - or at least it should.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's amazing how much damage Bethesda has done to their image in the last several years. I can't imagine they've made enough money from paid mods or FO76 for it to be worth it, it's gonna cost them with Starfield and ES6 - or at least it should.

I can bet you that they are still not giving a shit about the reception considering how they've been making everything worse and worse for this game from the start. Making more and more things as MTX only when they should be in the base game. Even worse when they are charging money still for the base game yet are nickle and diming the f***ing shit out of this game at every turn.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I can bet you that they are still not giving a **** about the reception considering how they've been making everything worse and worse for this game from the start. Making more and more things as MTX only when they should be in the base game. Even worse when they are charging money still for the base game yet are nickle and diming the ****ing **** out of this game at every turn.

It's the evolution of a company that was once the pinnacle of open world RPGs into the pinnacle of live service bullshittery.

Release a broken, empty game. Promise more free content, delay said free content, and nickle and dime the customers you do have to death.

So sick of this creatively bankrupt form of gaming designed for maximum profit at minimum effort. I mean, I get why companies do it (the whole maximum profit thing), I just don't understand why people play it. But hey, that's me.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Call me crazy, but I actually think this might be Bethesda trying to be "competitive". I'm operating from the assumption of delusion being a widespread pandemic over there.

That said, I know some people (bizarrely, to my mind) who were waiting for private servers for this. Unfortunately, I think the monthly fee and lack of persistence will drive them off.

I was waiting for private servers.

Theres not a chance in hell I pay $50 for the game and whatever the price works out to in CDN dollars for it (probably $129?)

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I was waiting for private servers.

Theres not a chance in hell I pay $50 for the game and whatever the price works out to in CDN dollars for it (probably $129?)

I have no idea what they are thinking here.

They are locking a long-awaited feature (and, likely, modding) behind a bloody subscription service which doesn't even work properly. I could understand this a little more if the game went free to play, but it didn't.

This game is an unmitigated disaster, and rather than try to earn respect back they have basically thrown up their hands and tried to milk it.

I (and am sure many of us) have lost an immense amount of respect for Bethesda, and they will have to work damn hard to get it back.

....Actually, check that. It's really not that hard. Release an effing good game without any of this bullshit, and you'll earn a lot of it back.

Let's just say my hopes aren't high.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I have no idea what they are thinking here.

They are locking a long-awaited feature (and, likely, modding) behind a bloody subscription service which doesn't even work properly. I could understand this a little more if the game went free to play, but it didn't.

This game is an unmitigated disaster, and rather than try to earn respect back they have basically thrown up their hands and tried to milk it.

I (and am sure many of us) have lost an immense amount of respect for Bethesda, and they will have to work damn hard to get it back.

....Actually, check that. It's really not that hard. Release an effing good game without any of this bull****, and you'll earn a lot of it back.

Let's just say my hopes aren't high.

This has disappointed me a lot, but Beth earned a lot of good will from me with its handling of its properties to this point. Between the flagship properties and their handling of Doom and Wolfenstein (by letting those studios do their thing) theyve earned a mulligan IMO.

I'll be a day one player of both ES6 and Starfield (assuming they are both traditional RPGs).

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
This has disappointed me a lot, but Beth earned a lot of good will from me with its handling of its properties to this point. Between the flagship properties and their handling of Doom and Wolfenstein (by letting those studios do their thing) theyve earned a mulligan IMO.

I'll be a day one player of both ES6 and Starfield (assuming they are both traditional RPGs).

Absolutely fair.

Let me know if they are good. I want them to be good so badly.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely fair.

Let me know if they are good. I want them to be good so badly.

Nowadays, a studio is only as good as their last release. Maybe it's unfair but it's a problem of their own making.

I used to automatically buy the latest title from studios I favoured but now I wait for the reviews every time.

Dragon Age 2 and 3 and Master of Orion 3 did that to me.

Pre-purchase? Yeah right.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Nowadays, a studio is only as good as their last release. Maybe it's unfair but it's a problem of their own making.

I used to automatically buy the latest title from studios I favoured but now I wait for the reviews every time.

Dragon Age 2 and 3 and Master of Orion 3 did that to me.

I agree, after see the absolute debacle of Fallout 76, I won't touch a Bethseda product with a 10' pole without seeing significant gameplay and reviews beforehand. This game is the pinnacle of anti-consumer cashgrab.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Dragon Age 2 and 3 did that to me.

I mean, every studio can produce a lemon from time to time.

The problem for me is more the bullcrap around the game that Bethesda just seems to be doubling down on time and time again. If this is how they operate going forward, count me out.

That said, as the Warden mentioned, if Starfield/ESVI come out and are gems, count me right back in. :laugh:

I find it increasingly hard to have faith in any of the big gaming companies these days to not throw a crap product in your face. I don't know if the industry is getting worse or I'm just getting older and crankier (or perhaps both), but it's unfortunate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad