Fallout 76

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
See this is where not playing the game and reading the hate train is actually sending people off course.

To be fair, given the tumultuous nature of refunds, that's the only safe option you have to check out a game you are unsure of. :laugh:

- They didn't take out NPC's. At all. There are NPC's all over the place, and they do give quests and story lines. The only thing they did was decide to make NPC's non-human characters, so that when you're out in the world the humans you run into are real people. But there are NPCs. At almost every location.

And again this game wasn't supposed to be Fallout 5. I feel like everyone jumping on the hate train went into the game thinking Oh man here we go, Fallout 5. When they specifically said, this is not Fallout 5. Any more than Elder Scrolls Online was Elder Scrolls 6. That game came and went with no concern.

I was actually here in the thread on reveal being like "Ugh." Disappointing it's not Fallout 5 or even a spin off. But that was clearly said going in.
Playing this game I'm actually on the other side, pretty happy that it's almost like Fallout 4 solo type **** than some dumb co-op or battle with strangers thing. In fact, the Fallout 76 online community seem to be the coolest mind your own business people Ive ever run across in an online game. You'll see them, give a wave, maybe drop some items you have duplicates of and go on your separate ways. Or I've been in over my head and happy to see someone run up unexpectedly in Power Armor level 95 and destroy them for me. Other than that, you're on your own if you want to be.

Fair enough, but that's quite what I meant.

When I listed characters, I meant it looks like it lacks the good characters from 4. From what I've seen, you mostly interact with holotapes and robots/AI. Are they on the same level as, say, Nick Valentine and pals?

I didn't expect it to be FO5, although like you I was disappointed it wasn't. I actually expected (or feared, in a way) it to be a carbon copy of FO4 but online. Like I said, we sort of got that but lacking most of what made 4 good in my eyes.

Doesn't mean it can't be fun, of course. When they've sorted out most of the bugs and other issues (I guess IF they do that), it goes on discount, and some friends are still playing it, I might look into picking it up.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Bethesda is either apologizing for Fallout 76 or enticing people to buy it by giving away free copies of Fallout Classic Collection to Fallout 76 owners. I don't really care about that, but I'm excited that Bethesda is finally re-releasing Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, presumably updated for modern systems. (Never mind. It's the same collection that's been out)

Fallout 76 players to receive Fallout Classic Collection for free in January 2019

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Bethesda is either apologizing for Fallout 76 or enticing people to buy it by giving away free copies of Fallout Classic Collection to Fallout 76 owners. I don't really care about that, but I'm excited that Bethesda is finally re-releasing Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, presumably updated for modern systems.

Fallout 76 players to receive Fallout Classic Collection for free in January 2019

Eh, it is just the classic collection on PC, which I already have, the oldies are not coming to consoles

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Eh, it is just the classic collection on PC, which I already have, the oldies are not coming to consoles

Oh, whoops. I didn't realize that Fallout Classic Collection is already out. I thought that it was something new that Bethesda was announcing. That's disappointing. Is it enhanced at all for modern systems (especially supporting higher resolutions and offering rescaled UI) or is it just the original games basically unmodified?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Oh, whoops. I didn't realize that Fallout Classic Collection is already out. I thought that it was something new that Bethesda was announcing. That's disappointing. Is it enhanced at all for modern systems (especially supporting higher resolutions and offering rescaled UI) or is it just the original games basically unmodified?

I couldn't tell you, I just have a regular old laptop and they did not perform well on there and I barely played them

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Still crazy that Fallout 3 came out 10 years ago and people are only just now realizing how crappy Bethesda is.

Skyrim is really good game though, with or without mods. It's a huge world with large amounts of locations to explore.
I can agree though that FO3 isn't that good. I've done one play through and felt that it was a bit meh.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Skyrim is really good game though, with or without mods. It's a huge world with large amounts of locations to explore.
I can agree though that FO3 isn't that good. I've done one play through and felt that it was a bit meh.

Skyrim has a sweet map that isn't completely empty so it is already much better. Meaningful exploration is a key pillar for games like these. It's why New Vegas puts anything Bethesda ever did to shame.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I do like this game, even with it being a buggy mess. Lots of fun times with others even if the game fights you on this. I will say though, the Two Shot and Explosive nerf that's incoming is pure bullshit, especially Two Shot.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Skyrim has a sweet map that isn't completely empty so it is already much better. Meaningful exploration is a key pillar for games like these. It's why New Vegas puts anything Bethesda ever did to shame.

Thats interesting, considering New Vegas didnt really have that much exploring to it. It was very much on rails compared to FO3/4. You had to go where they wanted you to go by virtue of overpowered deathclaws or cazadors which would make short work of you if you went off course.

New Vegas had a vastly more interesting story, to be sure, with genuine story choices to be made, but it did not have the amount exploration available that the Bethesda games did.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thats interesting, considering New Vegas didnt really have that much exploring to it. It was very much on rails compared to FO3/4. You had to go where they wanted you to go by virtue of overpowered deathclaws or cazadors which would make short work of you if you went off course.

New Vegas had a vastly more interesting story, to be sure, with genuine story choices to be made, but it did not have the amount exploration available that the Bethesda games did.

New Vegas' map was dense. No matter where you were, you could always see at least two or three locations to go explore.

That's what made exploring it fun: you always had something specific to seek out and odds where great that once you got there you'd get a sweet quest, meet cool characters and get unique items.

Contrast that with Fallout 3 that had a ton of empty space: it looked cool but was boring to explore. Fallout 4 was better for sure, but the difference between Fallout 3's map and Skyrim's was night and day. Credit where credit is due.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I would pay full price for New Vegas on Switch. I adore Fallout 3 but just never got NV because at the time I only had PS3 and all I heard was how poorly it ran so I just kept putting it off.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The only reasonable explanation for rolling this announcement out right as Outer Worlds launches is sheer masochism.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The only reasonable explanation for rolling this announcement out right as Outer Worlds launches is sheer masochism.

Call me crazy, but I actually think this might be Bethesda trying to be "competitive". I'm operating from the assumption of delusion being a widespread pandemic over there.

That said, I know some people (bizarrely, to my mind) who were waiting for private servers for this. Unfortunately, I think the monthly fee and lack of persistence will drive them off.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Call me crazy, but I actually think this might be Bethesda trying to be "competitive". I'm operating from the assumption of delusion being a widespread pandemic over there.

That said, I know some people (bizarrely, to my mind) who were waiting for private servers for this. Unfortunately, I think the monthly fee and lack of persistence will drive them off.

If they made this game F2P instead of paying for the game and THEN paying for this... maybe... maybe that might be an idea. But they decided to dump this on people, expect people to pay for this... when they decide to delay major updates until next year...

They want you to pay more for a game that is already getting delayed base game updates. f*** Bethesda. I can't in good faith expect Starfield and TSE6 to be exempt from this bullshit. Also, wasn't Wolfenstein Youngblood released with a shit load of MTX?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad