GDT: Fall Free Agent Frenzy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I'm not expecting much from the Sabres beyond re-signing Mitts.

I wonder what the holdup in signing Mitts is? I wonder if he's demanding a one-way contract, to which my response would be, "lol, no."

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
It's just baffling to me how the league has essentially just shut down with no return date.

Like the NBA has a plan, I hear nothing about the NHL. Are they even playing a 2020-2021 season?

FA and trades are dead until there is a plan for the season

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I see buffalo moving Montour orMiller for a LD

buffalo likely signs Quinn before the end of the yr so his signing age isn’t 20.

I doubt they make a move to the D on the NHL roster.

And signing Quinn to an ELC is on the level of re-signing Mitts for me.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
It's just baffling to me how the league has essentially just shut down with no return date.

Like the NBA has a plan, I hear nothing about the NHL. Are they even playing a 2020-2021 season?

Eh, the NBA has a massive TV contract that covers so much more of their operating costs than the NHL has. It's easier for the NBA to return.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The NHL has had a plan, just like the NBA has had.

But, given how the pandemic is getting worse and not better in the US, those plans are in jeopardy.

The NBA needs to find one Canadian team a US base. The NHL has bigger issues with 7 Canadian teams.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I wonder what the holdup in signing Mitts is? I wonder if he's demanding a one-way contract, to which my response would be, "lol, no."

it could be that. I don’t know if the AHL max salary is the highest you can get on a two way.

I think part of the problem is a potential trade then having space to sign him.

with cozens on the roster or a 13th F you are looking at around $2.5M in cap room left. They might want some room to play within a trade where they could take more salary back

hypothetically say they did Miller +Reinhart for Hanifin and Monahan.
Miller+ Reinhart= 9.1M
Monahan +Hanifin=11.3M
So a $2.2M gain in salary.
Thrn buffalo after Cozens on the team gives them only about a half mill of space left.

or say they acquire a Raanta+Osterle for Miller adding $2.5 to their cap limiting their room.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
The NHL has had a plan, just like the NBA has had.

But, given how the pandemic is getting worse and not better in the US, those plans are in jeopardy.

The NBA needs to find one Canadian team a US base. The NHL has bigger issues with 7 Canadian teams.

The pandemic "worsening" is not something that was unexpected, so if that wasn't in their plan, they truly never had a plan.

I also don't understand why players can't go between the countries. I know people that work at the border, and thousands go over daily. At least the people going over in NHL are being tested.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
it could be that. I don’t know if the AHL max salary is the highest you can get on a two way.

I think part of the problem is a potential trade then having space to sign him.

with cozens on the roster or a 13th F you are looking at around $2.5M in cap room left. They might want some room to play within a trade where they could take more salary back

hypothetically say they did Miller +Reinhart for Hanifin and Monahan.
Miller+ Reinhart= 9.1M
Monahan +Hanifin=11.3M
So a $2.2M gain in salary.
Thrn buffalo after Cozens on the team gives them only about a half mill of space left.

or say they acquire a Raanta+Osterle for Miller adding $2.5 to their cap limiting their room.
They have about $3.5 million in cap space and potentially could need about $5 million for rookie bonuses with Dahlin, Jokiharju, Cozens, and Quinn. Mitts is probably looking at a deal in the $925k/80k range. The Sabres might go lower.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They have about $3.5 million in cap space and potentially could need about $5 million for rookie bonuses with Dahlin, Jokiharju, Cozens, and Quinn. Mitts is probably looking at a deal in the $925k/80k range. The Sabres might go lower.

Borgen could potentially be i n there too.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The pandemic "worsening" is not something that was unexpected, so if that wasn't in their plan, they truly never had a plan.

I also don't understand why players can't go between the countries. I know people that work at the border, and thousands go over daily. At least the people going over in NHL are being tested.

They can't predict future changes that government officials make.

Just look at the struggles that the OHL are having with regards to getting things started back up.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
They can't predict future changes that government officials make.

Just look at the struggles that the OHL are having with regards to getting things started back up.

Why not work with the government officials?

I'm not going to compare a junior league to the NHL. They are on different spectrums in terms of resources.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why not work with the government officials?

I'm not going to compare a junior league to the NHL. They are on different spectrums in terms of resources.

A) They have teams in more provinces and states than any other league.

B) Government officials have more pressing issues to deal with of late with the election AND the uptick in cases.

The OHL is struggling to get up and running dealing with just one of the provinces that the NHL would have to deal with. Along with the fact that we don't know what the conversations between the NHL & the NHLPA have been like.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
A) They have teams in more provinces and states than any other league.

B) Government officials have more pressing issues to deal with of late with the election AND the uptick in cases.

The OHL is struggling to get up and running dealing with just one of the provinces that the NHL would have to deal with. Along with the fact that we don't know what the conversations between the NHL & the NHLPA have been like.
Ontario is scared af lol. Hamilton had it highest case count yet at 115..... they are talking lockdown. I get it Covid is concerning but holy s*** our numbers are not crazy like the States lol.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
So Haula just signed a 1 x 1.75 deal with the preds and we've got Eakin for more and an extra year. Neat.
Eakin has been more productive throughout his career, he also signed early when teams had money and there was a quasi bidding war. Haula waiting until teams are at the cap isn't really a comparable as no one could foresee the absolute tanking of contract values

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Eakin has been more productive throughout his career, he also signed early when teams had money and there was a quasi bidding war. Haula waiting until teams are at the cap isn't really a comparable as no one could foresee the absolute tanking of contract values

No you could forsee it. You just needed to look at the amount of cap dollars available and number of roster spots available (leaguewide). I dont think many people bothered doing that.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Eakin hasn't played a single game yet, and you've already mixed with shit. I didn’t expect Haula to receive less than 3-3.5 million for a couple of years, such a market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad