GDT: Fall Free Agent Frenzy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
You mean what would it cost Vegas for us to take his cap hit. They need to clear cap so they'd presumably be paying us.

After the Schmidt trade, less so.

Martinez will have positive value simply because he's a top 4 UFA defenseman that will be valued by many teams.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Seeing Schmidt go for so little really hurts as we could really use him, but I get it. Just not enough money for everything.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
After the Schmidt trade, less so.

Martinez will have positive value simply because he's a top 4 UFA defenseman that will be valued by many teams.

Vegas still needs to trade a $4M+ player to create cap space to fill a full roster.

Cap friendly has 12/7/2 at $82.5M
You trade a $4M player then fill that space and 2 others with $1M or less gets thrn below the cap.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Seems Vegas is really gutting their depth for 1 player. Their Cs aren’t that good. Need Glass to really be good or they aren’t it.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
When do NHL teams need to be cap compliant? And is there enough time between now and then for Okposo to develop Hossa’s equipment allergy syndrome?
Dont you have to be under the cap on the first day of the season before you can use LTIR

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I
Dont you have to be under the cap on the first day of the season before you can use LTIR
people used to think that, but the NHL allowed both Toronto (one or both of Horton / Clarkson - I forget) and Chicago (Hossa) to use LTIR in the off-season. They simply needed a Dr to state the player will be on LTIR for 10 games or more or 24 days or more to start the season, and that allows the team to exceed the 10% offseason overage.

And you’re right, it’s to start the season otherwise. Found the answer researching the Hossa case.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Seeing Schmidt go for so little really hurts as we could really use him, but I get it. Just not enough money for everything.

I'd previously said that Schmidt would be impossible for us given his contract.

But seeing how little he went for - it does make you think...

It also makes you excited at what the Sabres could potentially get from a cap strapped team like Arizona or TB.

The problem is though - any value you immediately gain in acquiring a player - you automatically lose when trying to move another player out to create space. So in a way you need to look at it as making one big 'hockey' trade but in multiple stages.

To this end I'm thinking all our RFAs are getting short term / lower $ than expected. The financial landscape in the league is going to dictate that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm the dummy who wants him too. No analytical reason, but it would be a good team-building move for year, I think.

He's the best LHD on the UFA market. I think there is next to no chance he signs here. But, he would seem to be the type of vet that the Sabres would want to add in a position of need.

With where the Sabres are today, if they could get Chara for 1 year @ $2.5-3M and Miller for 2 years @ $1M (they need a goalie under contract beyond 20-21 to expose in the expansion draft), that should finish things up FA-wise and then they could look at a trade or two.

Reactions: joshjull

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He's the best LHD on the UFA market. I think there is next to no chance he signs here. But, he would seem to be the type of vet that the Sabres would want to add in a position of need.

With where the Sabres are today, if they could get Chara for 1 year @ $2.5-3M and Miller for 2 years @ $1M (they need a goalie under contract beyond 20-21 to expose in the expansion draft), that should finish things up FA-wise and then they could look at a trade or two.

Krueger was his coach at the WC's for team Europe, and he's spoke well of him, otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't even be entertaining the idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He seems like a guy they'd want. Tough, well known, leadership. I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted him. I'd imagine the pegulas would love it

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He seems like a guy they'd want. Tough, well known, leadership. I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted him. I'd imagine the pegulas would love it

Yeah, I made my case for why I think it's a good idea. The analytics community hates it, but I think there's seriously team value in the idea that Chara's personal on-ice play can't qualify. I'd do it, for sure.

Fully understand why people wouldn't like the following idea:

Analytics would not be a fan of this at all, but because of Krueger, I wonder if they look at Chara for that 3 LD hole. Respected leader, will stand up for guys, Dahlin mentor, Jack will love Boston captain he watched lift the cup. There's not great analytical reasons for it, but there are great emotional-team reasons.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah, I made my case for why I think it's a good idea. The analytics community hates it, but I think there's seriously team value in the idea that Chara's personal on-ice play can't qualify. I'd do it, for sure.
How bad are the analytics? Is he just not good anymore or is he a black hole?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
How bad are the analytics? Is he just not good anymore or is he a black hole?

upload_2020-10-13_8-49-4.png

The team was definitely better without him on the ice last year, on both offense and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad