Post-Game Talk: Fair play to Koskco

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I thought highly of the way the Oilers played last year during the regular season. Not so much the play ins nor this season to date.

As little fury pointed out nobody should be getting excited over our wins versus Ottawa. We start winning against the rest of the division and playing well in general and I'll be happy.

We are improving and it is great to get some wins even against lowly Ottawa but I want to see the Oilers playing a whole hell of a lot better than they have been. Especially since we all know they could and should be playing better.

They've played better in a number of their losses than they have in some of their wins. So far this season has played out like an interminable training camp as far as the quality on the ice goes, which is to be expected, but it doesn't make for good hockey and it sure doesn't tell you much about what this team actually is.

Reactions: Aerchon

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yup. That's my problem with him. Good, smart player, but not elite, and just doesn't do whatever is necessary to win. You watch him play a pre-season game and a playoff game, and you'll see the exact same from him.

Playoff games? In Edmonton?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
IMO the real issue is not paying another player what we’re paying Leon, unless they supply that level of production.

Hall’s UFA contract wouldn’t make that a good bet and I’m suspecting RNH either, the league is expanding and there are still teams without 2 good NHL centers, he’ll get at least $7 on the open market.

We obviously want to keep fan favorites here if we can, I’m already worried about Nurse, but using that $6-7M on a player who’s a better fit with Connor makes better hockey sense.
Hell no. This board and the team knows by now that good DEFENCE wins you games and NOT pure offence. Nurse is reaching that stage where Petry became great in Montreal and you would let him go and keep a winger? HECK NO. Nurse has played like a top pair so far and he's 25!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oilers didn't play great, especially McDrai, but I'm going to give Ottawa some props. Smith has them playing doggedly right now, and I think they are going to be a handful for anyone else going forward. Will not be a shame to lose the odd one to these guys.

Reactions: The Nuge

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I wouldn't have said it a week ago, but to send a message, I'd consider giving Ennis a game or two until somebody else goes and earns the spot back. The type of game he's playing right now would complement 97 and 13 nicely.

I wouldn't break up that third line yet

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nurse has been impressive lately. Playing like a legit #1 Dman.

Not sure what happened to Koekkoek but he looked very shaky again other than the PK.

Exactly what I thought. He's been meh after the first 2 games he's played. It's unbelievable how much fans like him on Twitter. He's like better than Nurse there

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Thank you. Yes, there's this weird semantic game being played where Ottawa beat TOR/MON in a pair of obvious fluke performances so therefore they're as good as TOR/MON. The standings and actually watching the Sens would tell you otherwise, but that would mean taking off one's orange and blue glasses.

Are you trying to be stupid on purpose? Holy you are unreal and it's seriously annoying when everyone sees these kinds of posts page after page. Please stop. It is VERY ANNOYING AND CHILDISH

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Like I said, I get it. I’m being a Bad Fan. I’ll agree to disagree with those who feel Ottawa is the same level of opponent as pretty much everyone else in the division. No amount of logic can convince a person (or in this case, a group of people) who didn’t use logic to arrive at their conclusion in the first place. Instead I’ll let them be “surprised” when their fantasy of a playoff series win is dashed again because mean old reality had to intervene.

Dude this is embarrassing. Are you drunk or something? It's like you're just talking to yourself while not even reading the replies sent to you

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think my error was posting something and expecting someone on the same planet to read and interpret it. Won’t make that mistake again.

If you really didn’t understand even after several subsequent clarifications for your benefit what my point was, I have to assume you’re picking at this because you don’t have any other line of argument.

It’s related because the team has not, outside of Ottawa, performed at a level they need to to be anything more than Ottawa Cup champs. That’s similar to other years, which again you seem to not want to exist. Not sure if that’s because you need the psychological safety of ignoring anything that infringes on your fantasy of this team being without fault, but I’ve already said up thread that I will stop poking the bubble a good portion of this thread has chosen to live in and will by extension spend the next 15 years in because they’ll never do anything but consume the product and slap it on the back for not being last. Ultimately, this team and its fans is getting exactly what it deserves.
Get out of this thread seriously. All you're doing is going against the Oilers to piss off people on here and you're also just using big words to make yourself seem like the smartest guy in the room. How old are you?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Dude this is embarrassing. Are you drunk or something? It's like you're just talking to yourself while not even reading the replies sent to you

Why bother at this point. He's tried to twist the narrative to appear in his mind that the board is thinking that the Oilers are cupbound so that he can brag about being right that they aren't if Edmonton loses tomorrow against Montreal regardless of how well they play. Probably best to ignore him now.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
giphy-downsized-large.gif

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’ve been down 4 separate times. The drive from NS to there is @12 hrs. Some funny stuff I heard

I was at hockey game wearing Oilers jersey. Bruin fan asked me if I drove from Edmonton to Boston that day
Another fella said “ you must find it different here with seeing buildings”
I was at the Red Sox game and there were people behind that went to MIT. They wanted to know how many days it would take to fly from NS to Boston
And of course u always get asked “ I know someone from Toronto, do u know them”? I always tell them Toronto is a separate country and they don’t allow anyone from NS there
That’s too funny. And here I thought MIT churned out smart people, I guess not all of them! It’s amazing how uninformed some people are of areas outside their 1-200 mile radius. And yes, Toronto is a different country to many Western Canadians too...;)

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Not going to lie. When Koskinen is in net my heart rate increases. You see that play where he tried to play the puck then said screw it and belly flopped on it. Haha.

I hope they start Smitty Thursday.
I hope they keep with a rotation. It should inspire confidence and growth for both goalies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Just gonna put this out there that RNH is 15th on the team for EV pts/60mins and he's playing non stop, all the time, with the best player in hockey. He's also a -player. So he's not elevating EV, he's not producing EV, he's not shutting down EV, his EV GA/60mins are also high. i guess he's doing something out there..

We're wasting him on topline, and his EV game is wasting away. I mean to put it into perspective all of Khaira, Ennis, Archibald, Kassian Neal, TURRIS have more EVpts/60 than Nuge. Most of our D have more.

I mean 15th. How does that even happen? I mean he'll wake up, and I know he'll heat up at some point, but why Ryan why these dead spells?
he also kills penalties and it’s funny you bring this up after a number of games of 3/4 line success... just saying

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
That’s too funny. And here I thought MIT churned out smart people, I guess not all of them! It’s amazing how uninformed some people are of areas outside their 1-200 mile radius. And yes, Toronto is a different country to many Western Canadians too...;)

we in the Maritimes don’t like being grouped with them Alberta has provided Atlantic Canadians good employment in the Oil Industry. We don’t bite the hand that feeds ya. We wanted the pipeline to come to the Ocean on the Atlantic desperately but middle Canada put a stop to that

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don’t usually hope for Toronto but when I do it’s against the HABS and it can give us a chance to climb to 2nd tomorrow

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Barrie wants long term. He doesn't want short term again
Yeah if Barrie keeps his current trajectory he’s probably looking at getting 5+ years and around 6-6.5M.

Torey Krug just signed 7 years at 6.5M. Almost the exact same age, very similar comparable also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad