Post-Game Talk: Fair play to Koskco

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Like I said, I get it. I’m being a Bad Fan. I’ll agree to disagree with those who feel Ottawa is the same level of opponent as pretty much everyone else in the division. No amount of logic can convince a person (or in this case, a group of people) who didn’t use logic to arrive at their conclusion in the first place. Instead I’ll let them be “surprised” when their fantasy of a playoff series win is dashed again because mean old reality had to intervene.

No one thinks Ottawa is on the same level, you're being a crybaby now. Can you convince yourself to stop?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Even if 22-25 is good enough, I just showed you they're playing below even that "standard". Or are we just going to pretend those numbers don't exist either because they don't say what you want them to?

That they played like crap and eeked out a bad team the last two nights? That's what happened, but your reality is clearly different than mine.

Yes, I'm clearly exaggerating that the team has to play better in order to be successful. Man, we as a fan base really do deserve the last 15 years, don't we?

The issue here is that you are discounting Wins because they weren't by enough against a bad team while ignoring that they were well positioned to win or get points in almost every game against the good teams. The only outright losses where they were clearly the worse team were in three of the first four games. Since then every other game they've lost they either had a lead at some point in the third period or were tied.

So wins against bad teams only count if you destroy them but narrow late losses against superior teams mean nothing. Do you see the duality here?

Edmonton needs to be better, most on here seem to be saying the same, but it's good they managed to win these games they "should" win now they just need to find that next step to win or at least get a point in those games against the good teams that they've been close to.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This Ottawa game was a glass half full win. Oiler were solidly outplayed but won. Oilers won a game for the first time in over three years where McDavid and Draisaitl didn't score. Three different defensemen scored and Oiler d-men are among the league's highest scoring blueline for the first time in like eternity. They beat a team four times without a loss which has been challenging to do in this covid cup year. Oil goaltending held together after the gift Flamer game. Despite standings Ottawa's been a tough out for a few years with the Oil so currently standings aside this is a positive four point win in enemy territory.

The Oiler season will be made or not against the heavy schedule against arch rival Calgary, Vancouver. And quite likely Winnipeg. We'll see if the Oil have their feet under themselves Thursday in Montreal after being rolled early by that reshaped team.

Take the two last night and maintain some perspective. Yeesh, some of the takes here...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I definitely think Toronto is overhyped.

The Habs look to be for real. The game tomorrow night will be telling.

Disagree. Toronto and Edmonton are examples of clubs with some elite stars that can be legit, and common difference makers in up for grabs games. As much as we dislike Toronto, I think its important to recognize this distinction. Montreal does not have ANYBODY in the lineup that is a counted on producer, or finisher, to the degree that Edmonton or Toronto have. In time, this will measure, and there will be games where teams like Montreal can't get that goal in a tight checking game and end up losing, even to teams that they would expect to beat. The Habs started fast last season too and as things progressed they had problems.

The Habs top goal scorers are Tyler Toffoli and Joah Anderson. Look, both of these guys can score some goals, but the degree to which they have been scoring THIS season is unsustainable and with their past scoring rates not being anything close to this. Montreal presently is getting over and above production and finish from these two. Toffoli I know happens to be a very hot/cold player. The same guy that looks like a 40 goal scorer one month looks like he can't bag 20 the next.

I mean Toffoli is one of the players I would have liked to get, but his peak has been 30 goals, his average has been far far below that. A worthwhile player, but the Habs scoring is going to run into some rocks.

Most of their lineup already has dried up somewhat. Tomas Tatar scored 3 goals in first 2GP, potted two of them against us in one game, hasn't scored a goal since.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
no one is saying that, why do you keep trying to make stuff up to further your argument? And you telling us to use logic? You can't even read a simple sentence without being condescending while also embarrassing yourself in the meantime.

Please find a single post where people are saying Ottawa is the same level opponent.

You don't get it.
This is getting aggravating with this poster.

All of the following can be true:

-Ottawa is a bad team
-it is hard to beat any team (even bad ones) 4 games in a row
-the Oilers won 4 games in a row against a bad team
-the Oilers need to play better to beat the top teams in the division
-this bad team (Ottawa) has already, this year, beaten 2 good teams in Toronto and Montreal
-we all want the Oilers to play better and know that they need to play better to make the playoffs and do any damage in the playoffs
-some posters lack reading comprehension

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This Ottawa game was a glass half full win. Oiler were solidly outplayed but won. Oilers won a game for the first time in over three years where McDavid and Draisaitl didn't score. Three different defensemen scored and Oiler d-men are among the league's highest scoring blueline for the first time in like eternity. They beat a team four times without a loss which has been challenging to do in this covid cup year. Oil goaltending held together after the gift Flamer game. Despite standings Ottawa's been a tough out for a few years with the Oil so currently standings aside this is a positive four point win in enemy territory.

The Oiler season will be made or not against the heavy schedule against arch rival Calgary, Vancouver. And quite likely Winnipeg. We'll see if the Oil have their feet under themselves Thursday in Montreal after being rolled early by that reshaped team.

Take the two last night and maintain some perspective. Yeesh, some of the takes here...

In some ways, as bad as last nights game was, it may have been a blessing. It showed the team that they can find a way to win on a night where their best players aren't the best players on the ice.

Now if they take that to heart and have the back half of the lineup continue to saw off or beat their counterparts, we're well positioned to start winning games because our best players are good enough to be the best players on the ice more nights than not.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

When Bouchard scored I wanted to post how nice it was that we now have 3D that we can reasonably rely on to score goals. But I had dinner to make between periods. Last night it let it wash over me how long its been since we had D that could reliably score, be expected to score. This season Nurse is knocking his offensive potential out of the ballpark, an absolute force. We knew what we were getting with Barrie, a guy that would be involved in production and goals. But Bouchard, this early, exceeding expectations. I got excited when he scored that goal. This guy man, stud D. He exudes confidence.

I keep saying we got all the D we need in the org already. When Broberg is on stream it just gets better. This is going to be wealth of D, soon. Plus that we have so many young high prospect D. Would be a mistake to trade for more D now.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
When Bouchard scored I wanted to post how nice it was that we now have 3D that we can reasonably rely on to score goals. But I had dinner to make between periods. Last night it let it wash over me how long its been since we had D that could reliably score, be expected to score. This season Nurse is knocking his offensive potential out of the ballpark, an absolute force. We knew what we were getting with Barrie, a guy that would be involved in production and goals. But Bouchard, this early, exceeding productions. I got excited when he scored that goal. This guy man, stud D. He exudes confidence.

I keep saying we got all the D we need in the org already. When Broberg is on stream it just gets better. This is going to be wealth of D, soon. Plus that we have so many young high prospect D. Would be a mistake to trade for more D now.

Bear is also a reasonable bet to produce as well when in the lineup. By the end of this season, our defense may actually be viewed as a strength in both quality and depth. When was the last time we could say that?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
When Bouchard scored I wanted to post how nice it was that we now have 3D that we can reasonably rely on to score goals. But I had dinner to make between periods. Last night it let it wash over me how long its been since we had D that could reliably score, be expected to score. This season Nurse is knocking his offensive potential out of the ballpark, an absolute force. We knew what we were getting with Barrie, a guy that would be involved in production and goals. But Bouchard, this early, exceeding productions. I got excited when he scored that goal. This guy man, stud D. He exudes confidence.

One of the reason I'm hoping Samorukov season ends now is so we can see what we actually have in him. Can he steal a job from the top 4 and emerge as the minute crusher behind Nurse? I'm confident he can as early as this season if not next season

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In some ways, as bad as last nights game was, it may have been a blessing. It showed the team that they can find a way to win on a night where their best players aren't the best players on the ice.

Now if they take that to heart and have the back half of the lineup continue to saw off or beat their counterparts, we're well positioned to start winning games because our best players are good enough to be the best players on the ice more nights than not.

It does wonders to the lineup. Two things happening. Nurse continuing to be one of the stars of this club, and is having a pretty clear allstar type season, he really is, and Barrie getting untracked on his new club and contributing already. I mean this is great, no exhibition season, 14 games in, and we have a lot of player online, functioning well, already.

We have Pulju who has been a blessing, better than expected, Kahun adapting and fitting in. We have a lot of improvements. The only player that has not found their way is Turris. Lately even Khaira putting some games together.

A team with superstars needs to know that its going to be possible for other guys to get it done on other nights. Its so critical for balance in a lineup, and for a team to gell, to feel part of something, and good about itself. Hope it continues.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Winning when you likely should lose has to build confidence. It is a step forward that has to be maintained in a highly unusual season, schedule and conferencing. I'm glad to see four W's against an Ottawa team that grossly outworked the Oilers last night and who took down Montreal just a couple games ago. Their work rate is high betrayed by ECHL quality goaltending. Winning it without McDavid/Draisaitl production is also unicorn stuff. Can't solve fifteen years of malaise in one game or eighteen games into Bizarroland NHL season. Take the two as a team and as fans and move on.

Ultimately how this team plays against Cowtowners and Canucks will determine their fate.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bear is also a reasonable bet to produce as well when in the lineup. By the end of this season, our defense may actually be viewed as a strength in both quality and depth. When was the last time we could say that?
It seems to be exactly where its headed.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I was in Boston for a Redsox game Sept 2019. When we run outta Miller Light, they served us the Samuel Adams. It is by far the worst beer I ever drank and I drank a pile of beer in my life
I was in Boston once and boy they advertise the piss out of that beer. Glad I didn’t order one.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Maybe that is what you mean, but it is not how it comes across. People can only reply to what you post. Not what you meant when you posted it.

I think my error was posting something and expecting someone on the same planet to read and interpret it. Won’t make that mistake again.

You aren't repeating anything. Good on you for dropping the exaggeration about how much the Oilers are winning by.

If you really didn’t understand even after several subsequent clarifications for your benefit what my point was, I have to assume you’re picking at this because you don’t have any other line of argument.

I get the Oilers haven't been pretty good the last 15 years. How is that related to a team that is currently in third in the division? If you are just angry about the last decade and a half and want to vent irrationally about it you have succeeded.

It’s related because the team has not, outside of Ottawa, performed at a level they need to to be anything more than Ottawa Cup champs. That’s similar to other years, which again you seem to not want to exist. Not sure if that’s because you need the psychological safety of ignoring anything that infringes on your fantasy of this team being without fault, but I’ve already said up thread that I will stop poking the bubble a good portion of this thread has chosen to live in and will by extension spend the next 15 years in because they’ll never do anything but consume the product and slap it on the back for not being last. Ultimately, this team and its fans is getting exactly what it deserves.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think my error was posting something and expecting someone on the same planet to read and interpret it. Won’t make that mistake again.

If you really didn’t understand even after several subsequent clarifications for your benefit what my point was, I have to assume you’re picking at this because you don’t have any other line of argument.

It’s related because the team has not, outside of Ottawa, performed at a level they need to to be anything more than Ottawa Cup champs. That’s similar to other years, which again you seem to not want to exist. Not sure if that’s because you need the psychological safety of ignoring anything that infringes on your fantasy of this team being without fault, but I’ve already said up thread that I will stop poking the bubble a good portion of this thread has chosen to live in and will by extension spend the next 15 years in because they’ll never do anything but consume the product and slap it on the back for not being last. Ultimately, this team and its fans is getting exactly what it deserves.
giphy.gif

My mind is blown.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Why would you expect other people to interpret what you meant rather than just posting what you actually meant?

I have to assume you’re picking at this because you don’t have any other line of argument.

Your exaggeration makes your case weaker. Your terrible assumption? Weaker still.

It’s related because the team has not, outside of Ottawa, performed at a level they need to to be anything more than Ottawa Cup champs.

Other than beating the first place team in the division twice?

That’s similar to other years, which again you seem to not want to exist.

Maybe wild assumptions about what other people want isn't serving you well.

Not sure if that’s because you need the psychological safety of ignoring anything that infringes on your fantasy of this team being without fault, but I’ve already said up thread that I will stop poking the bubble a good portion of this thread has chosen to live in and will by extension spend the next 15 years in because they’ll never do anything but consume the product and slap it on the back for not being last.

That is an incredibly long sentence. What is this psychological safety you have brought into the discussion?

I never said anything about this team being without fault. Why are you making up so much stuff?

Reactions: McTonyBrar and TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Superman's kryptonite. The Oilers finally have invested in building an NHL level d-corp through late multi- rebuild draft and development. Nurse has been phenomenal in all areas of defending and confidence as a PP QB. And Barrie as a wingman has fit very well with a top blue liner who can for the most part cover off the deficiencies in his game (aside from their blown o-zone pinch in Cowtown). Bouchard looks good where advertised however still maturing in his own zone play ... not a surprise but the ability and aptitude to learn and grown on the job. Lagesson has been steady and helped by a quality pairing with Larssen. And this team has a quality developing top four d-man like Bear missing games and solid depth guy like Jones fighting to get in the line-up. Throw Klefbom's tragic circumstances as adversity to address and overcome.

And still two high end prospects percolating in top European professional leagues. Took over a decade of getting it so wrong to finally see and feel some legitimate hope that this critical position can become an area of organizational strength. Can't get ahead of things but glass half full takeaways.

Reactions: Oilhawks

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Why would you expect other people to interpret what you meant rather than just posting what you actually meant?

I posted words that have a specific meaning on Planet Earth, not Planet Oilerfan. I’ll not do that again in the future.

Your exaggeration makes your case weaker. Your terrible assumption? Weaker still.

Using a turn of phrase is not an “exaggeration”, and only the most illogical person would think so. And it’s a great assumption that you’ve now proven correct because you have returned to it yet again.

Other than beating the first place team in the division twice?

Okay. And the other games/teams? Weird how only those ones exist to you. Almost as if you are again seeing what you want to see.

Maybe wild assumptions about what other people want isn't serving you well.

I already acknowledged that my assuming Oilers fans ITT wanted the Oilers to be good was faulty. They actually want nothing to change, believing the team to be perfect as-is.

That is an incredibly long sentence. What is this psychological safety you have brought into the discussion?

Sorry, I’ll write smaller words/sentences for your benefit in the future. And your sealioning is getting worse- “what is X? What is Y?” is not a counterargument.

I never said anything about this team being without fault. Why are you making up so much stuff?

I’m... what’s that phrase you used earlier? Just reading what you wrote? It’s clear to me and any other non-homer that you are living in a bubble of your own making. I’m sorry for trying to disrupt it, and will not do so again.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I posted words that have a specific meaning on Planet Earth, not Planet Oilerfan.

Is this a special world you have created in your head?

I’ll not do that again in the future.

You keep claiming that, but you keep coming back for more.

Using a turn of phrase is not an “exaggeration

Is 'beating Ottawa 20 - 1' a turn of phrase now?

And your sealioning is getting worse- “what is X? What is Y?” is not a counterargument.

You made a pretty random assumption about my psychological safety. That made zero sense in context.

I’m sorry for trying to disrupt it, and will not do so again.

I really wish you would stick to the part in bold.

Reactions: TB12

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
When Bouchard scored I wanted to post how nice it was that we now have 3D that we can reasonably rely on to score goals. But I had dinner to make between periods. Last night it let it wash over me how long its been since we had D that could reliably score, be expected to score. This season Nurse is knocking his offensive potential out of the ballpark, an absolute force. We knew what we were getting with Barrie, a guy that would be involved in production and goals. But Bouchard, this early, exceeding expectations. I got excited when he scored that goal. This guy man, stud D. He exudes confidence.

We are setting up nicely. Holland just needs to not f*** up any moves with our D. If Broberg trends up, Jones, and Klefbom can be a reliable #3/4 for a while with his shoulder....I am going from looking down at our backend to slowly seeing it as a strength going forward.

Edit - I didn't even mention Bear...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was in Boston once and boy they advertise the piss out of that beer. Glad I didn’t order one.
I’ve been down 4 separate times. The drive from NS to there is @12 hrs. Some funny stuff I heard

I was at hockey game wearing Oilers jersey. Bruin fan asked me if I drove from Edmonton to Boston that day
Another fella said “ you must find it different here with seeing buildings”
I was at the Red Sox game and there were people behind that went to MIT. They wanted to know how many days it would take to fly from NS to Boston
And of course u always get asked “ I know someone from Toronto, do u know them”? I always tell them Toronto is a separate country and they don’t allow anyone from NS there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad