Fabbri

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You've got it backwards. It was the Blues that cut Fabbri out of their plans going forward.... not the other way around. It was Armstrong and the Blues that wasn't going to offer Fabbri a contract. Armstrong even said that Fabbri was concerned that he wasn't going to be able to earn any NHL contract after this year if he wasn't in a NHL lineup and playing regularly.... If that was the case, then Armstrong as GM was certainly in a position to offer Fabbri a contract and relieve him of his contract worries.... But he didn't. Because he wasn't going to re-sign Robby to a new deal. Armstrong said he agreed to move Fabbri as a favor for the player and asked him to be patient while they moved him. Armstrong said it took a while and Fabbri was a great teammate throughout. You keep trying to blame Fabbri for not signing in St. Louis when it was St. Louis that was not offering Fabbri a new contract. The team was moving on from him and didn't fault him, which is why they felt obligated to move him now even though they essentially got a bag of pucks in return.
But they did sign Fabbri to a contract? Its the same contract he's playing under right now, traded to the RedWings. You'll have to produce a quote that backs up your claim Armstrong had decided not to re-sign Fabbri after this season. I find that to be a ridiculous claim. It may not have been a contract Fabbri was happy with, but I can't conceive that the team wouldn't even offer him a contract. Now, he may not have actually had a roster spot, and would have risked being waived, but there was zero chance he wouldn't have been offered a contract by the Blues if he was still remotely an NHL player (which no one at any point has claimed otherwise).

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
But they did sign Fabbri to a contract? Its the same contract he's playing under right now, traded to the RedWings.

They signed Fabbri to a one year deal back in early 2018 After his injuries, and after his ELC expired, they signed him to a single year contract, covering only this season. Again, a 1 year deal. No term, and no extension offfered. The team made it clear they weren't bringing him back. The team offered him a 1 year deal in 2018 and he took it. If the team had offered him another 1 year deal, I have no reason to believe he wouldn't have taken it again.....

You'll have to produce a quote that backs up your claim Armstrong had decided not to re-sign Fabbri after this season. I find that to be a ridiculous claim. It may not have been a contract Fabbri was happy with, but I can't conceive that the team wouldn't even offer him a contract. Now, he may not have actually had a roster spot, and would have risked being waived, but there was zero chance he wouldn't have been offered a contract by the Blues if he was still remotely an NHL player (which no one at any point has claimed otherwise).

Quotes.... no problem.

Quote by Armstrong
"At some point, your an independent contractor in a sense that he was nervous that if he was not an every day player, getting a contract in the NHL would be difficult next year and I understood that. I asked him to be patient with us and I thought he was. We got on this road trip and the team was playing well. He wasn't a player who was going to go into our lineup"

Now, does that sound like a GM who was planning on offering Fabbri a contract? The GM who acknowledges that Fabbri is going to have a tough time getting a NHL contract next season unless he is in a lineup and then acknowledges that Fabbri wasn't getting into the Blues lineup? The blues sent Fabbri packing, not the other way around. All the evidence points to the team NOT offering him a new contract after his last 1 year deal.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Bobby eyebrows with another goal for the Red Wings today.

That makes 3G and 4A for 7 pts in 6 games.

It would be nice to have another player in our lineup that could pot some points

Extremely small sample size thus far, but in Fabbri's six games in Detroit, he's put up 4.4 PTS/60 in all situations! That's crazy high. Tarasenko is (was) the only Blues player anywhere close at 3.7 PTS/60 before his injury. All the other Blues like ROR, Perron, Schenn, etc.. are all well below 3 PTS/60 currently. He won't continue to put up those kinds of numbers obviously, but I think its pretty safe to say that Fabbri is still a legit scoring threat at the NHL level, even after his multiple injuries.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I kind of dig that Fabbri is having success in Detroit. It makes some questions why Fabbri didn't make in the Blues team and right usage and minutes?

Reactions: MissouriMook

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That makes 3G and 4A for 7 pts in 6 games.

Extremely small sample size thus far, but in Fabbri's six games in Detroit, he's put up 4.4 PTS/60 in all situations! That's crazy high. Tarasenko is (was) the only Blues player anywhere close at 3.7 PTS/60 before his injury. All the other Blues like ROR, Perron, Schenn, etc.. are all well below 3 PTS/60 currently. He won't continue to put up those kinds of numbers obviously, but I think its pretty safe to say that Fabbri is still a legit scoring threat at the NHL level, even after his multiple injuries.

Even more impressive than Fab's point totals are Detroit's record. They have points in 5 of those 6 games. Before the trade they had 9 points in 17 games. They have 8 points in the last 6. That is a ridiculous difference. Now I am not saying its all Fabbri, but something changed and he is a part of it.

It wasn't a situation where they were trending up and Fabbri came at the right time either. It started the first game he played with them. They had lost the last 4 games before that by 4 or more goals every game. Then Fabbri comes and they win 3 in a row with points in 5 of 6.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
nice, we get to see what he does with his ice time with steen, senko and blais all out long term.

maybe we can trade back for fabbri so someone can feed him all his points again

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
nice, we get to see what he does with his ice time with steen, senko and blais all out long term.

maybe we can trade back for fabbri so someone can feed him all his points again

LOL

The SS Fabbri has sailed.

What could have been we will never know. Something tells me that his style of play didn't match Berube's system. So now he gets top minutes elsewhere. This kind of player-team mismatch happens.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
LOL

The SS Fabbri has sailed.

What could have been we will never know. Something tells me that his style of play didn't match Berube's system. So now he gets top minutes elsewhere. This kind of player-team mismatch happens.
How is he any different than Schwartz?

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
No comparison whatsoever!. Schwartz plays excellently away from the puck. Schwartz is not afraid to go to the dirty areas. Schwartz is good defensively.
Schwartz also has 300 games more experience. Fabbri is not a player that has finished developing his game. We f***ed up. Period.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Again this is why my first thought was Fabbri had an issue with some of the coaching staff for not getting a spot out of camp.

He was just an injury or 2 away from a prime opportunity with good linemates/minutes.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Schwartz also has 300 games more experience. Fabbri is not a player that has finished developing his game. We ****ed up. Period.
How? If Berube wasn't going to play him because he was ineffective when he was played, what difference does it make what kind of success Fabbri has elsewhere? He was never going to play with Tyler Bertuzzi on the Wings top power-play unit as a member of the Blues. The Blues gave the guy who busted in this organization another shot at a career elsewhere. That doesn't change the fact that he busted here. Kudos to Army for cutting bait and moving on. There will be plenty more guys who get moved on from by the Blues and go on to have productive careers elsewhere. It happens. That's sports.

Again this is why my first thought was Fabbri had an issue with some of the coaching staff for not getting a spot out of camp.

He was just an injury or 2 away from a prime opportunity with good linemates/minutes.

It's cute that you believe that.

The Robbi Fabbri fanclub is the Uncle Rico of HFBlues. If only coach had put him in...they would've won the friggin Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
No comparison whatsoever!. Schwartz plays excellently away from the puck. Schwartz is not afraid to go to the dirty areas. Schwartz is good defensively.
Fabbri went to the dirty areas too. While Schwartz was good defensively, that should not be the end all be all. How long did it take Tarasenko to even be interested in defense?

Last edited:

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Why can people still not accept that Fabbri needed to be traded to get the opportunities he has now? Even with the depleted lineup he'd still be logging 3rd line minutes most likely. In Detroit (who is last in the league) he will get a lot of minutes.... In St. Louis (tied for 2nd in the league) he will not get those same opportunities. From a personal standpoint for Fabbri he wants to play so he can hopefully make some decent money on his next contract and maybe get some longer term stability. And now some people are comparing him to Schwartz? Good grief.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Why can people still not accept that Fabbri needed to be traded to get the opportunities he has now? Even with the depleted lineup he'd still be logging 3rd line minutes most likely. In Detroit (who is last in the league) he will get a lot of minutes.... In St. Louis (tied for 2nd in the league) he will not get those same opportunities. From a personal standpoint for Fabbri he wants to play so he can hopefully make some decent money on his next contract and maybe get some longer term stability. And now some people are comparing him to Schwartz? Good grief.
It's hard to accept your argument when the Blues are down 1 top line winger and had a rotation for a 2nd line LW. They stuck Sanford in the LW spot regardless of his lack of production and generally didn't look good either. The Blues chose not plug Fabbri in one of those holes, and we don't specifically know why, we just speculate about it. If Fabbri asking for a trade is what shut the door on his opportunity in Stl then that was a poor decision from managment. He wanted the play, not necessarily leave STL. I keep reading the cliche "oh Berube system"and I havnt seen an explanation outside of "hard nosed hockey". Well that doesnt fly because thats how Fabbri played. Then the excuse, well Fabbri struggled on defense, true....but you need to play at NHL speed to get that feel back. Fabbri never would have won a Selke, but he won the trust if Hitchcock as a rookie, so the willingness to play 200ft is there. Its frustrating for fans to see certain players get minutes when they struggle game after game, and that leeway was not afforded to a player with a much higher talent level.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
It's hard to accept your argument when the Blues are down 1 top line winger and had a rotation for a 2nd line LW. They stuck Sanford in the LW spot regardless of his lack of production and generally didn't look good either. The Blues chose not plug Fabbri in one of those holes, and we don't specifically know why, we just speculate about it. If Fabbri asking for a trade is what shut the door on his opportunity in Stl then that was a poor decision from managment. He wanted the play, not necessarily leave STL. I keep reading the cliche "oh Berube system"and I havnt seen an explanation outside of "hard nosed hockey". Well that doesnt fly because thats how Fabbri played. Then the excuse, well Fabbri struggled on defense, true....but you need to play at NHL speed to get that feel back. Fabbri never would have won a Selke, but he won the trust if Hitchcock as a rookie, so the willingness to play 200ft is there. Its frustrating for fans to see certain players get minutes when they struggle game after game, and that leeway was not afforded to a player with a much higher talent level.
Okay, I understand people don't like Sanford. I don't particularly care for him either, but Fabbri and Sanford are basically the same. Neither show much, but in the playoffs last year Sanford put up more points and generally looked better than Fabbri (while skating in less games). The biggest difference? Sanford has never dealt with a torn ACL let alone 2 torn ACLs. Fabbri gets to go to Detroit and play huge minutes, something he wasn't going to get here even given the injuries. He needs to play a lot. He wants to get his game back on track so he can get a longer term/more lucrative contract. DA did him a favor here, good on him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Okay, I understand people don't like Sanford. I don't particularly care for him either, but Fabbri and Sanford are basically the same. Neither show much, but in the playoffs last year Sanford put up more points and generally looked better than Fabbri (while skating in less games). The biggest difference? Sanford has never dealt with a torn ACL let alone 2 torn ACLs. Fabbri gets to go to Detroit and play huge minutes, something he wasn't going to get here even given the injuries. He needs to play a lot. He wants to get his game back on track so he can get a longer term/more lucrative contract. DA did him a favor here, good on him.
Using his injuries as an excuse is just as bad of an argument. He's been skating just fine. Last year sure.....the Blues were hot and on a roll, I dont fault them for not playing him. This season, no...I'm not buying it.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Using his injuries as an excuse is just as bad of an argument. He's been skating just fine. Last year sure.....the Blues were hot and on a roll, I dont fault them for not playing him. This season, no...I'm not buying it.

I was really expecting a bounce back year from Fabbri or at the very least be given a legitimate opportunity. I refuse to believe Fabbri's rookie campaign was a fluke. I always felt if his health wasn't an issue he would regain top 6 form. I still think he's on that course and it sucks it's not with the Blues. I will continue to hope he does good in Detroit because it seems he just wasn't given an opportunity here. It's the way it goes. If he has a solid career he'll join a long list of players that have left the Blues organization and find success.

I think there's always a little luck in winning the Cup. There's very few Cup runs where teams steamroll through all 4 rounds. I'm not complaining about seeing the Blues finally pull it off. I didn't think they had the roster to do it going into last year. Armstrong, for all his success, still leaves me wondering what his vision for this team is. His public statements over the years are always contradictory regarding size, youth, veterans, speed, etc.. I'm just along for the ride as a fan.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was really expecting a bounce back year from Fabbri or at the very least be given a legitimate opportunity. I refuse to believe Fabbri's rookie campaign was a fluke. I always felt if his health wasn't an issue he would regain top 6 form. I still think he's on that course and it sucks it's not with the Blues. I will continue to hope he does good in Detroit because it seems he just wasn't given an opportunity here. It's the way it goes. If he has a solid career he'll join a long list of players that have left the Blues organization and find success.

I think there's always a little luck in winning the Cup. There's very few Cup runs where teams steamroll through all 4 rounds. I'm not complaining about seeing the Blues finally pull it off. I didn't think they had the roster to do it going into last year. Armstrong, for all his success, still leaves me wondering what his vision for this team is. His public statements over the years are always contradictory regarding size, youth, veterans, speed, etc.. I'm just along for the ride as a fan.
Yes, it takes luck to win a Cup.

But the Blues were the best team in the league for 1/2 of last season. The roster Armstrong put together demonstrated exactly what his vision for the team was. A defense first, skill and production spread all down the line-up group that doesn’t rely on superstar power.

I’m not saying Armstrong or the coaching staff are immune to criticism. But you seem to be suggesting he doesn’t have a demonstrably successful vision for the team. The last 3/4th of a season (last year and the start of this one), independent of the playoffs, show that he does.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad