FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.8 Mod Note in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I am having more enjoyment of the storyline of this season rather than actually watching the team play. *sigh*

Swayze*

So Dregs and Mack haven't really heard anything other than he might be available.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
ROR/Kadri/Nylander/Holland/Gauthier is a pretty good mix down the middle - can definitely be competitive like this.

ROR and Kadri have both shown the ability to play vs the other team's top lines. ROR would put up 60-70 points with Kessel, and be the defensive presence this line has sorely missed. Pretty much an anti-bozak.

Tbh I would give up Phaneuf+ or Gardiner++ for ROR, but I think colorado may ask for morgan rielly

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Id do Kadri for ROR without a second thought. In a heartbeat.

Id do JvR for him

I would be disappointed to see JVR included, as I recall a lot of problems when we were looking for a player of his calibre. big-bodied and skilled top-six who plays more of a finesse game. They're really hard to find, and worth their weight in gold. He's more valuable than ROR for me personally. I think JVR can grow long-term into a good veteran for the team.

Kadri I could be ok moving. It sounds like ROR could be a Peca-like impact player to build the team around. The only off-limits players going forward would be, ideally for me, are JVR, Nylander, Rielly, and Bernier. big and fast top line winger, potential #1 center, potential #1 defenseman, developing #1 goaltender. Plus, whatever else we get from packing others up. I think we're actually in a really promising position here, a ROR would be one of those players capable of putting up big minutes down the middle.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So we'd essentially be locked into Kadri and ROR at around 12 million starting next year. And for a 5 year term on both likely.

Doesn't matter if a number 1 becomes available. Won't be room

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
So we'd essentially be locked into Kadri and ROR at around 12 million starting next year. And for a 5 year term on both likely.

Doesn't matter if a number 1 becomes available. Won't be room

Yeah because so many number 1's have become available in the last few years.

Finding kessel a real center (if we decide not to rebuild) should take priority over waiting another 10+ years for a number 1 center to fall into our laps

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I think people have differing opinions of what a top line centre is, if you guys are looking for a guy like a stamkos or GetZlaf to come it's likely not happening. The next option is drafting a guy, the only possible drafting option would be nylander and he's a few years away from potentially being that 1c, the other hope is use our 1st overall pick , draft a centre and hope he moolds into. 85-95 pt centre.

Really I don't think we need one of the centres, what we need is a bergeron type centre, one who can put up 60-70 points and Excel in all situations in all 3 zones. Rielly is young, he plays a smart 200 game, strong on face offs and put him with kessel and he gets 70ish points easily.... If hes available and it costs a jvr then go for it, enough of these emotional infatuations towards players on this team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think people have differing opinions of what a top line centre is, if you guys are looking for a guy like a stamkos or GetZlaf to come it's likely not happening. The next option is drafting a guy, the only possible drafting option would be nylander and he's a few years away from potentially being that 1c, the other hope is use our 1st overall pick , draft a centre and hope he moolds into. 85-95 pt centre.

Really I don't think we need one of the centres, what we need is a bergeron type centre, one who can put up 60-70 points and Excel in all situations in all 3 zones. Rielly is young, he plays a smart 200 game, strong on face offs and put him with kessel and he gets 70ish points easily.... If hes available and it costs a jvr then go for it, enough of these emotional infatuations towards players on this team.

If you are saying JVR for ROR I argue you have the emotional infatuations.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Yeah because so many number 1's have become available in the last few years.

Finding kessel a real center (if we decide not to rebuild) should take priority over waiting another 10+ years for a number 1 center to fall into our laps

I'm not shooting it down. I'm just saying if you don't think ROR is the guy we're locking in on another 5 years of settling.

Stammer is a year and a half away. But can you move forward with all your eggs in that basket?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
If you are saying JVR for ROR I argue you have the emotional infatuations.

I was merely using him as an example as a 2 way complete centre, if a guy like Richards or anyone else that fits the mold becomes available I'd be all over it...I'm place far more value on 2 way centres them soft wimgers.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
That's why I want to package Kadri for a high pick. Not willing to part with Reilly.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I'm not shooting it down. I'm just saying if you don't think ROR is the guy we're locking in on another 5 years of settling.

Stammer is a year and a half away. But can you move forward with all your eggs in that basket?

Fair enough. I understand your point - this team already has a lot of money locked into bad contracts and if a star wants to come here, would we realistically have the money to pay them? Probably not if we sign O Rielly...

We;re really in a bad spot cap wise

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I don't think that having ROR and Kadri would be the problem for us. Having guy like Clarkson as 3th line W(in best scenary, since he is playing more like 5th line), that's a problem.

In case that we got Stammer through FA, ROR can play on his wing. You can also ship Lupul out, maybe even move Bozak out and voila, you have some cap space or space for Stamkos. ROR will be payed more than Bozak, but on the other hand, you will also have some guys on ELC in the team.

I'd do Bozak+ for ROR and I wouldn't worry about potential FA's 2 years from now. Yes, you have to keep that in mind, but you shouldn't plan your future on some Stammers wish of homecoming.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I keep hearing Bozak Gardiner for ROR. That would be great but no way the avs do that. Depends on the cost

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Fair enough. I understand your point - this team already has a lot of money locked into bad contracts and if a star wants to come here, would we realistically have the money to pay them? Probably not if we sign O Rielly...

We;re really in a bad spot cap wise

This is why the team should opt to unload our bad contracts.
Granted, some will come back but hopefully they are shorter in contract length.
We are just too cap strapped with our current core to be competitive in the post-season.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Bringing in ROR would be pretty good. The ability to bring in a young kid who could turn into a very good C especially young in his career you don't get that change too often.

Is ROR in the same class as Crosby, Toews, Malkin, Kopitar, Getzlaf no of course not but he could still turn into a Bergeron or Krejci type which would be good enough to be a #1 on a good team. Kadri and ROR down the middle would be good enough.

ROR on a line with Kessel improves the D zone and I don't think his offence is that far off Bozak and better yet his game would suit well cause he would be mucking corners and battling pucks to dish to Kessel no fly by like Bozak.

Moving Gardiner wouldn't be that much of a loss as you have some D prospects almost ready to make an impact on the big club. Percy could step into Gardiner role and it would be an overall upgrade.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bringing in ROR would be pretty good. The ability to bring in a young kid who could turn into a very good C especially young in his career you don't get that change too often.

Is ROR in the same class as Crosby, Toews, Malkin, Kopitar, Getzlaf no of course not but he could still turn into a Bergeron or Krejci type which would be good enough to be a #1 on a good team. Kadri and ROR down the middle would be good enough.

ROR on a line with Kessel improves the D zone and I don't think his offence is that far off Bozak and better yet his game would suit well cause he would be mucking corners and battling pucks to dish to Kessel no fly by like Bozak.

Moving Gardiner wouldn't be that much of a loss as you have some D prospects almost ready to make an impact on the big club. Percy could step into Gardiner role and it would be an overall upgrade.

Yea, I think that trading both Bozak and Gardiner isn't the worst idea.

If you think that Kadri is your #2 centreman long term, then you have to decide if Kadri is worth more now than than Bozak. I think that Kadri gets similar dollar figures, to what Bozak is making right now.

You also have to decide if you trade Gardiner, is Percy good enough to step in and play 17-19 minutes a night and be content with his growing pains.

If you're getting O'Rielly, you have to clear more money because I'm guessing that he will be asking for 5mill+ and Kadri around the same. So you're getting rid of just over 8 and replacing it with 10.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Yea, I think that trading both Bozak and Gardiner isn't the worst idea.

If you think that Kadri is your #2 centreman long term, then you have to decide if Kadri is worth more now than than Bozak. I think that Kadri gets similar dollar figures, to what Bozak is making right now.

You also have to decide if you trade Gardiner, is Percy good enough to step in and play 17-19 minutes a night and be content with his growing pains.

If you're getting O'Rielly, you have to clear more money because I'm guessing that he will be asking for 5mill+ and Kadri around the same. So you're getting rid of just over 8 and replacing it with 10.

Actually you have 2,9M in Kadri+Bozak+Gardiner which equals around 10. So when you give Kadri around 5, ROR his 5-6 and Percy is still on ELC, you are probably only 1M over what you are spending on you 1st and 2nd C and your 5th D. But your play might be better overall.

I think that Gardiner would do really good there, I just can't figure out where they'd put Bozak on ES(as I think he'd be on their first PK).

RLF

May 5, 2014
Just for fun and discussion.

To Vancouver
Bozak, Grandberg
To Toronto
Hamhuis, Gaunce

To Colorado
Phaneuf
To Toronto
ROR

To Carolina
Gardiner
To Toronto
Sekera

To Buffalo
Kessel, Robidas
To Toronto
Myers, Grigorenko, Mezaros, 2015 2nd

JVR ROR Lupul
Santorelli Kadri Grigorenko
Komarov Holland Clarkson
Panik Winnik Booth

Hamhuis Myers
Sekera Franson
Rielly Holzer
Mezaros

extra cap space created about $2mil + Mezeros $4.125 at end of year
Move Lupul in the off-season for picks/prospects.
Move Franson, Santorelli, Sekera at deadline if cannot reach an agreement prior.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Can we just dump some players already? Get a 1st and prospect for guys and let the team free fall.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Just for fun and discussion.

To Vancouver
Bozak, Grandberg
To Toronto
Hamhuis, Gaunce

To Colorado
Phaneuf
To Toronto
ROR

To Carolina
Gardiner
To Toronto
Sekera

To Buffalo
Kessel, Robidas
To Toronto
Myers, Grigorenko, Mezaros, 2015 2nd

JVR ROR Lupul
Santorelli Kadri Grigorenko
Komarov Holland Clarkson
Panik Winnik Booth

Hamhuis Myers
Sekera Franson
Rielly Holzer
Mezaros

extra cap space created about $2mil + Mezeros $4.125 at end of year
Move Lupul in the off-season for picks/prospects.
Move Franson, Santorelli, Sekera at deadline if cannot reach an agreement prior.

Phaneuf for ROR is probably the only deal that makes sense...and its not even likely. Vancouver laughs at us and we get ripped off in the Buffalo deal. Myers is over rated

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
ROR/Kadri/Nylander/Holland/Gauthier is a pretty good mix down the middle - can definitely be competitive like this.

ROR and Kadri have both shown the ability to play vs the other team's top lines. ROR would put up 60-70 points with Kessel, and be the defensive presence this line has sorely missed. Pretty much an anti-bozak.

Tbh I would give up Phaneuf+ or Gardiner++ for ROR, but I think colorado may ask for morgan rielly

If the Leafs plan on keping Kessel, ROR would be the PERFECT linemate for him. Good offensively, and very good defensively. As you said, he essentially actually does everything Bozak is supposed to do (but doesnèt really).

He, along with Kadri and potentially Nylander would be a very, very solid centre core that a team could do some real damage with. You don't need a malkin as your topline centre to be successful: that can be offset by having a good group of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad