FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.8 Mod Note in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I hope Buffalo or any other team gets O'Reilly instead of us.
My God, STOP trading for other teams players to build our core.
Try drafting our own, and start by getting rid of the current core.
(Not O'Reilly, but in general) stop trading for other teams flawed players and start unloading ours.
Let's build our core through trades: check
Let's take on other teams flawed players: check
Let's change the bottom 6 and role players: check
Enough.

I agree but don't think we should move.

Rielly, Kessel, Kadri, JVR, Bernier, Komarov, Franson(depending), Percy, Nylander, Brown, Bibeau, Gauthier, Panik an Holland (for the time being)

See what of the following brings putting priority on the highest picks gets the deal over roster players that fell out of favour. Not saying all will be done but at least some.

Dion Lupul Bozak Jake Reimer Robidas Clarkson(something has to be done) Santorelli Winnik(both are rentals we don't need and can make offers to later if need be).

I would also be very welcome to 2016 1sts if 2015 only provides an offer of 2nd round.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
a package of Kessel, Bozak, Riemer, and Gardiner

for Bennett, + 1st + Ramo+ ?

Burke would be all for a blockbuster that lands him an all-star and the depth to not only make the playoffs but maybe win a round or 2

Does he risk trading a potential top 10 pick again though? The Flames arguably have enough prospect depth to trade it, but trading Bennett and a 1st isn't a small package. That said getting Kessel could be huge for them. Monahan is their number 1 going forward, Kessel would be a top line superstar for them. It's basically their version of Toews/Kane going forward. They have the cap space to make it work, and arguably the prospect depth to stomach losing that much of their future.

It's an intriguing idea though.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The value discrepancy between O'Reilly and Kadri isn't a locked up Gardiner.

We are giving up 2 young players and bringing in O'Reilly but at this tme, he may not make much, if any difference, I would like to see what Lupul and Holland, can do in this new system, before we make any big changes and before we give up on Gardiner, I would like to see what he can do as a forward, we would have to replace him on defence anyway, so why not see what he can do as a forward.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
You are missing the point. Who cares how much Vorachek has scored, they still aren't in the playoffs and that is all that matters. The Flyers were making the playoffs with Richards and Carter, since they left, with their new shiny pieces, they aren't even a playoff contender. Leaf fans need to take notice.

Two points here have to be looked at.

1. The four main pieces that Philadelphia picked up are now only 21, 22, 24 and 25. I think that we still need to give them a couple of years to fully mature. If we are to do something like this, I'd be afraid of fans jumping the gun and saying that it was a mistake.

2. We are in a totally different situation. We haven't made the playoffs in 9 of the list 10 years. Seriously, what is the risk? Kessel scores 35 and 80 and wins the cup somewhere and we get 3 young players to start over. I really don't want to keep our 35 and 80 wonder boy and miss 14 of 15.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We are giving up 2 young players and bringing in O'Reilly but at this tme, he may not make much, if any difference, I would like to see what Lupul and Holland, can do in this new system, before we make any big changes and before we give up on Gardiner, I would like to see what he can do as a forward, we would have to replace him on defence anyway, so why not see what he can do as a forward.

I always thought that was a silly notion but I'd have to agree now. Give that a chance for the rest of the season before moving him out.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Does he risk trading a potential top 10 pick again though? The Flames arguably have enough prospect depth to trade it, but trading Bennett and a 1st isn't a small package. That said getting Kessel could be huge for them. Monahan is their number 1 going forward, Kessel would be a top line superstar for them. It's basically their version of Toews/Kane going forward. They have the cap space to make it work, and arguably the prospect depth to stomach losing that much of their future.

It's an intriguing idea though.

the irony is their prospects other than Bennett are not high end.

Bennett + 1st = Kessel
Reimer ~ Ramo
Bozak = ?
Gardiner = ?

...no matter what we would need at least one more good piece coming back ...Burke would be nuts enough to offer the 2016 1st too maybe, if only to prove the 'I would do it again' quote

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
For whatever it's worth, Dreger said this morning that he spoke to Nonis and Nonis said he hasn't spoken to Colorado in over a month when asked about ROR.

That could change of course but it's pretty clear nothing is imminent.

I find it interesting though that they even talked this season at all. If you go back about a month or so, it was right around our winning streak I believe.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
For whatever it's worth, Dreger said this morning that he spoke to Nonis and Nonis said he hasn't spoken to Colorado in over a month when asked about ROR.

I find it interesting though that they even talked this season at all. If you go back about a month or so, it was right around our winning streak I believe.

Dreger said the day before carlyle was fired that he wouldn't be fired unless there was a huge disaster. Dreger reported leafs weren't 100% getting shanahan a few hours before his press conference, after everyone else confirmed it. I don't give him much stock at all anymore tbh.

I also doubt its Nonis handling the phones. Its hunter/dubas/shanny doing the talking now - Nonis just fetches their coffee

Kypreos reporting leafs/sabres are in on ROR is info that I think is more reputable and likely true

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Don't you love the Leafs?

We're winning and it's "lets talk about improving our team, and get a quality young asset like ROR"

Now that we are losing we here "lets open up extension discussions with Franson and Santorelli."

Seems so backwards to me.

Swayze*

Dreger said the day before carlyle was fired that he wouldn't be fired unless there was a huge disaster. Dreger reported leafs weren't 100% getting shanahan a few hours before his press conference, after everyone else confirmed it. I don't give him much stock at all anymore tbh.

I also doubt its Nonis handling the phones. Its hunter/dubas/shanny doing the talking now - Nonis just fetches their coffee

Kypreos reporting leafs/sabres are in on ROR is info that I think is more reputable and likely true

So what. He said he spoke to nonis and that's what he was told

Kyper is purely speculating. He said "he thinks" tml are interested.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I always thought that was a silly notion but I'd have to agree now. Give that a chance for the rest of the season before moving him out.

I'm not saying he will be another Wendel Clark but he could become a very good winger and the only way to find out, is to give him a shot, he may surprise everyone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

So what. He said he spoke to nonis and that's what he was told

Kyper is purely speculating. He said "he thinks" tml are interested.

Yeah Dreger can be out to lunch with his opinions but when he reports facts, it's hard to deny them. Kyper has been wrong a ton of times as well, but he's pretty bang on.

So really, at this point, who knows.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not saying he will be another Wendel Clark but he could become a very good winger and the only way to find out, is to give him a shot, he may surprise everyone.

:laugh: That's for certain, I'd wager Wendel's mother is tougher than Gardiner.

I'd try him at Center not the wing.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Possibly he could play Center but he was a Forward and then converted to Defense, I'm not sure what Forward position he played before he was converted but whatever it was, I would like to see what he could do now and bring up a Defenseman and see what he could do too, might be a good way to see how a Marlie LHD might fair, perhaps Percy or Loov for an extended period.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

It's never been a silly notion. The guy absolutely littered with winger attributes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
McKenzie's take on the ROR rumours:

http://www.tsn.ca/a-ryan-o-reilly-trade-is-more-complicated-than-we-think-1.186227

What has apparently happened, though, is the Avalanche have quietly targeted a few specific teams – Buffalo and Toronto are the ones mentioned most often in rumours, but absolute confirmations have been hard to come by and it's been suggested to me Toronto and Colorado have previously had conversation about O'Reilly but nothing recently – they see as the best fit in terms of having both significant interest in O'Reilly and also the requisite blueline piece or pieces that Colorado wants and needs in return.

Before we can go all Joe from Woodbridge about the prospect of O'Reilly becoming a Sabre or a Leaf, or Tyler Myers or Jake Gardiner becoming a member of the Avs, we really are obliged to look at the history of the relationship between O'Reilly and the Avs because that - and how it plays out in the weeks and months to come - impacts every aspect of a potential trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He can't play center because he is to far removed from the position. He always rushes up the left wing and attempts shot/play or sets up shop behind the net. He is very slick as a skater and has a deceptive speed about him. You really can't tell or guage him on the fly. Seen so many defenders get beat that way by him it's not funny.

With center he has far to much responsibility and let's face it he experiences indecision far to often.

He is a natural winger converted to D. If he was discovered to have ability on the draw and to be able to take his defensive game into the position and transition that while being able to see the play clearly then he could graduate to C. If you were to dump him at C immediately he will fail for sure.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Possibly he could play Center but he was a Forward and then converted to Defense, I'm not sure what Forward position he played before he was converted but whatever it was, I would like to see what he could do now and bring up a Defenseman and see what he could do too, might be a good way to see how a Marlie LHD might fair, perhaps Percy or Loov for an extended period.

I know Winger would be an easier transition but watching how he tends to roam makes me think he'd be more suited to the middle of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad