FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.11 - Trade Deadline Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
This was posted by another Leafs fan recently:

To which I responded:

Franson is going to get more than a lot of people here think.

did you just compare a primarly offensive Dmen to a bunch of primarly Defensive ones and try and prove that Franson's better by posting goals and assists? bravo. need I remind you these are defensemen and there primary goal is to keep pucks out of there own net first and foremost something Franson struggles mightily at.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Thanks Bob McKenzie

He is a rental, plain and simple.

On July 1st he's a UFA

What makes your opinion more valid than the OP's?

You don't know that whatever team trades for him with simply let him walk in the summer. Plus, that's a friggin gamble that any team takes when they're trying to get that extra piece to augment into their line-up for a Stanley Cup run.

Remember the Brendan Morrow trade from 2 yrs ago?....

Swayze*

What makes your opinion more valid than the OP's?

You don't know that whatever team trades for him with simply let him walk in the summer. Plus, that's a friggin gamble that any team takes when they're trying to get that extra piece to augment into their line-up for a Stanley Cup run.

Remember the Brendan Morrow trade from 2 yrs ago?....

Mine is a fact, not an opinion.

His is purely speculation, nothing more.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This was posted by another Leafs fan recently:

To which I responded:

Franson is going to get more than a lot of people here think.

I came to the conclusion seeing Franson playing with Dion and being solid, that Fransons defensive stats last season were the result of both his determination to pinch and generate offense and the inability of this teams forwards to read the plays and cover appropriately. I believe Gardiner is also to an extent falling victim to this this season as he is slotted in the same matchups Franson was the year prior.

Poor team game made Franson look worse than he is. Poor team game making Gardiner look worse than he is but in Gardiners case he has started to overthink and become hesitant and is his own worse enemy.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
March 9, 2006 Trade deadline
Brendan Witt
for
Kris Beech (highly touted at the time of the deal)
2006 1st round pick (#23-Semyon Varlamov)

Now Witt was a mediocre pending UFA, and played a whole 17 games for Nashville.

Franson is TONS better, and has that much more value than Witt.

This is the type of package I'd hope to get, but as you said, better. At that time, Beech was already 25, it would be the equivalent of trading for someone like Zach Hamill today. If we are getting a lesser body back, would hope the are max 22 years old.

Or if the only body we can get is pretty meh, might as well roll the dice with another pick included instead.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
did you just compare a primarly offensive Dmen to a bunch of primarly Defensive ones and try and prove that Franson's better by posting goals and assists? bravo. need I remind you these are defensemen and there primary goal is to keep pucks out of there own net first and foremost something Franson struggles mightily at.

Did you even read my post? Scratch that, I know you didn't. The first part of the post says someone posted the first list. The second part ends with saying "How are these players comparable to Franson besides two of them?"

Bravo to you for your reading comprehension :handclap:
You compile a list of comparable players to Franson who were traded at the trade deadline and then I can find the points for each, I bet Franson will still be up there.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
How many more loses until a trade happens? we're a few weeks from the deadline are they waiting for some amazing offer?

i'm talking like trading Franson, lupul etc.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Did you even read my post? Scratch that, I know you didn't. The first part of the post says someone posted the first list. The second part ends with saying "How are these players comparable to Franson besides two of them?"

Bravo to you for your reading comprehension :handclap:
You compile a list of comparable players to Franson who were traded at the trade deadline and then I can find the points for each, I bet Franson will still be up there.

I did read you post and since it was all about points instead of just saying most of those are defensive Dmen vs Franson whose an offensive Dmen and therefore not really comparable I took the last line which read

"How can 5 players who have a combined 151 games played and only 2 more points be comparable to Franson?"

as Franson is much better then those guys because of what I just showed you points wise so there not comparable.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dion for Semin + Haydn Fleury.

If this deal got done trade to Follow immediately. Phil Kessel.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Dude

Youre embarassing yourself

He's a rental

He's a ufa july 1st

Its not up for debate. Its simple facts

Are you trying to argue that a team that acquires him through trade will not seek to re-sign him prior to July 1? Or do you think the team who acquires him are run by morons?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
How would people feel about targeting Mark Jankowski? He's way low in the Flames system, and he's been pretty disappointing relative to draft position. He might be a nice cheap add to our system.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
How is it not?

So just because you claim it as a "fact" supposedly makes it so?

I provided a RECENT example of a team (Pittsburgh) trading a solid D prospect in Joe Morrow and 5th round pick for a broken down, 'best days are behind him' soon to be UFA type player in Brendan Morrow.

Did Pittsburgh re-sign him in the following summer? No.

Why? Because despite what you might think, A GM of a SC Contending team doesn't sit there and create "what-if" scenarios in their head if for whatever reason he's somehow unable to re-sign said player in the offseason. They don't put the cart before the horse in a situation like this, they cross that bridge when they get to it. And they took a gamble with Morrow and they apparently didn't want him back....because that's the chance the buying team makes on every TDD. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. .

If a team out there feels that a Cody Franson is enough to bolster their blue-line to go deep in the playoffs and contend for the cup, it's not unreasonable to assume they would be willing to part with a low 1st round pick or a solid prospect and 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Also, you're not factoring in the possible bidding wars that could happen which would definitely inflate his value by a little.

So, yeah. That's my "fact".

Tell me again why yours is more grounded in truth?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
How would people feel about targeting Mark Jankowski? He's way low in the Flames system, and he's been pretty disappointing relative to draft position. He might be a nice cheap add to our system.

Very interested for obvious reasons. Raw skill there.

Swayze*

Are you trying to argue that a team that acquires him through trade will not seek to re-sign him prior to July 1? Or do you think the team who acquires him are run by morons?

Sure they can try but even they know its a longshot and cant bank on it for sure so they pay a rental price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad