FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.11 - Trade Deadline Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There seems to be a lot of excitement in trading the Leafs top two defencmen for picks and prospects and several players off the roster for additional picks as well, Is the assumption the picks will play for the Leafs next year, or signing the cheap bargain basement UFAès to replace the players or is the quality or lackthereof on the Leafs roster next year not of importance.

For me personally, I would hope it's a little of both of these two points. Some cheap UFA's, some Marlies and basically planning on finishing among the bottom teams for the next year or three.

Swayze*

March 9, 2006 Trade deadline
Brendan Witt
for
Kris Beech (highly touted at the time of the deal)
2006 1st round pick (#23-Semyon Varlamov)

Now Witt was a mediocre pending UFA, and played a whole 17 games for Nashville.

Franson is TONS better, and has that much more value than Witt.

Well he should net us a blue chip then since he's a "top pairing defender" :laugh:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
This whole trade deadline thing must be new to you. How do you blow your "wad" by acquiring a top pairing D for a prospect who may or may not even be an NHLer but likely not as good as Franson? :laugh: You know that the goal is to win the Stanley cup right? and that not all first round picks, especially late ones become NHLers let alone good ones.

So now Franson is a top pairing D-man?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
For me personally, I would hope it's a little of both of these two points. Some cheap UFA's, some Marlies and basically planning on finishing among the bottom teams for the next year or three.

Watching the Leafs for the next three years with the hopes of them being near the bottom? Sounds like something to look forward to, and of course loosing is a surefire way of getting better very quickly right? Odd how Leaf fans want to see their beloved team at the bottom of the standing and a terrible product on the ice. Never could understand that.

Swayze*

Watching the Leafs for the next three years with the hopes of them being near the bottom? Sounds like something to look forward to, and of course loosing is a surefire way of getting better very quickly right? Odd how Leaf fans want to see their beloved team at the bottom of the standing and a terrible product on the ice. Never could understand that.

Ummm we are already at the bottom of the standings and have a terrible product on the ice while spending to the cap.....

What don't you understand

Swayze*

Does he play on the Leafs top pairing?
What is his ATOI?
PK and PP time?
Points, hits and blocked shots?
In case you haven't noticed he has been on the top pairing this year.
On possibly the worst defence in the league

You forgot that part.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Not to mention given Franson's inconsistent past, there's a half-decent chance he drives his value down simply with his play. Him/Phaneuf have both looked worse the last month or so, but Franson doesn't have the long-term reputation of being a solid top 4 guy to maintain that high value after an extended cold streak.

With Phaneuf injured, Franson may get exposed and start looking worse, and then see his value drop. I'd try to sell it to other teams that if they simply pony up solid value now, instead of entering a bidding war a month from now and ultimately paying that same high price, that they'll get Franson for a whole extra month.

Franson's been a 40 plus point dman over the past 170 games, and has a 36 point pace over his career. Toss in the fact he's a RHD, and he'll have decent offers regardless of what happens over the next little while IMO. No reason to rush it. He's basically the best available dmen on the market right now, and he's a right hander to boot.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
On possibly the worst defence in the league

You forgot that part.

Well if he plays on the worst defence in the NHL according to you which is again un true, how is he amongst the league leaders in points, hits, blocked shots? Yet he is still not a top pairing although he plays it, and put up excellent production without any help? Wow, guess Franson is better than I thought.

Swayze*

Well if he plays on the worst defence in the NHL according to you which is again un true, how is he amongst the league leaders in points, hits, blocked shots? Yet he is still not a top pairing although he plays it, and put up excellent production without any help? Wow, guess Franson is better than I thought.

yeah dude he's amazing

that's why we're letting him walk

he's too good to keep

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Nashville dumped him for nothing

He's our top pairing stud now that we dont' want to sign cause management knows what he really is.

[/B

You seem to like to make things up. Franson has always been a difficult sign, and it has been reported that the Leafs aren't going to sign him due to his contract demands. That's been quoted in the media and TSN. Who said they wont sign him because management knows who he is? Can you show the quote please. What does that mean exactly?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This was posted by another Leafs fan recently:

Trade deadline comparables for defencemen in last few years:
Douglas Murray for two 2nds
Andrew MacDonald for 2nd + 3rd + prospect (Matt Mangene)
Regehr for two 2nds
Leopold for 2nd + 5th
Oduya for 2nd + 3rd
Zidlicky for Foster + Palmieri + Veilleux + 2nd + conditional pick
Grossman for 2nd + 3rd
Quincey for 1st + S. Piche

To which I responded:

All numbers pre-trade

Franson: 46 GP, 6G 23A 29P

Macdonald: 63 GP, 4G 20A 24P
Quincey: 54 GP, 5G 18A 23P
Zidlicky: 41 GP, 0G 14A 14P
Oduya: 63 GP, 2G 11A 13P
Leopold: 24 GP, 2G 6A 8P
Grossmann: 52 GP, 0G 5A 5P
Murray: 29 GP, 0G 3A 3P
Regehr: 29 GP, 0G 2A 2P

---
Franson has more points than Macdonald and Quincey in 17 and 8 games less, respectively. He also has (more than) double Zidlicky in 5 more games.

Oduya, Leopold, Grossmann, Murray, Regehr combined stat line:
197 GP, 4 Goals, 27 Assists, 31 Points

Franson:
46 GP, 6G 23A 29P

How can 5 players who have a combined 151 games played and only 2 more points be comparable to Franson?

Franson is going to get more than a lot of people here think.

Swayze*

[/B

You seem to like to make things up. Franson has always been a difficult sign, and it has been reported that the Leafs aren't going to sign him due to his contract demands. That's been quoted in the media and TSN. Who said they wont sign him because management knows who he is? Can you show the quote please. What does that mean exactly?

Dude, it means they don't want to invest in this player as they don't think he's worth the price tag. They know what kind of player he is and they aren't going to try to sign him.

Pretty simple to understand...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It doesn't have to be 3 years. But some time with a poor team looks inevitable if we are to rebuild. I would much rather have a terrible team and have prospects developing with real hope for the future than what we have a now - a terrible team without any real reason to think better times are in our future.

I've been following this show for over 40 years now. I want to see the ship turned around and I'm not naive enough to think it can happen overnight.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
Franson should be worth at least a first round pick. Even in a deep draft.

Scores points, hits everything (albeit not a bone-crusher), shoots RH, plays on the PP and hits the freaking net!!...big body.

I'd assume he could net us a 1st rounder and a prospect with some upside.

It'd be great to finish with 2 late first rounders (in addition to our own 1st!)~

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Franson should be worth at least a first round pick. Even in a deep draft.

Scores points, hits everything (albeit not a bone-crusher), shoots RH, plays on the PP and hits the freaking net!!...big body.

I'd assume he could net us a 1st rounder and a prospect with some upside.

It'd be great to finish with 2 late first rounders (in addition to our own 1st!)~

2 firsts (including ours) and a prospect could be pretty enticing to a team in the top 3...

Swayze*

This was posted by another Leafs fan recently:

To which I responded:

Franson is going to get more than a lot of people here think.

I hope so

I really do, we need a lot more assets to get this dumpster turned around.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
What, he's not a rental?

He's going to be one of the two most highly sought after dman free agents come July 1st. Teams looking to acquire him are going to be looking beyond these playoffs, and they'll likely be looking at him longterm. A rental would imply Franson has plans on playing somewhere else, which I don't think he does. Vanek was only a rental because he always had plans to go to Minnesota.

A team is going to trade for him to skip the line on July 1st, not to give a temporary playoff boost.

Swayze*

He's going to be one of the two most highly sought after dman free agents come July 1st. Teams looking to acquire him are going to be looking beyond these playoffs, and they'll likely be looking at him longterm. A rental would imply Franson has plans on playing somewhere else, which I don't think he does. Vanek was only a rental because he always had plans to go to Minnesota.

A team is going to trade for him to skip the line on July 1st, not to give a temporary playoff boost.

Thanks Bob McKenzie

He is a rental, plain and simple.

On July 1st he's a UFA

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Conditional picks is what would be key here.

Say a "1st rounder this year and a conditional 3rd rounder in 2016 that can become a 2nd if he resigns" kind of thing.

Or a good prospect plus a conditional pick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad