GDT: FA Frenzy time ladies and gents (for everyone else that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
While it's fun to imagine a scenario where we pick up Klingberg or Chychrun and have an absolutely stacked defense I think that would be a big mistake. The last time we had 5 legitimate top-4 defenseman we had Pesce unhappy with ice time and reportedly asking for a trade.

Honestly I don't care much who we throw out on the 3rd pair of our available options; they're all serviceable for the role they'll be asked to fill.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
From a get talent, fit later perspective, I could see Klingberg going to one of Calgary, Islanders, or the Canes. If the Canes can do a cap dump of Gardiner, maybe they can fit Klingberg for a season and see if playing with Slavin turns him into an offensive juggernaut again. You can then shelter Burns and his legs a bit in the first year.

Alternatively, maybe the Flames can sign him and trade Andersson for a forward that can replace some of Gaudreau's production.

OMFG I thought the narrative was Burns didn’t need to be sheltered like TDA?

Now he needs to be sheltered already? And wouldn’t his legs presumably need MORE sheltering as they age into 40?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
OMFG I thought the narrative was Burns didn’t need to be sheltered like TDA?

Now he needs to be sheltered already? And wouldn’t his legs presumably need MORE sheltering as they age into 40?
He doesn't. Burns played I think the 3rd most minutes in the league. San Jose isn't a good defensive team, but you can't pin that on one player. Truth is he's been by far the most relied upon workhorse on a team with a faltering M-E Vlasic and Karlsson, and not much else.

It's just wishful thinking to get another top 4 guy for free. If things get desperate from Klingberg's camp, maybe it's a possibility, but it's extremely unlikely for a lot of reasons.

Regardless of whether Burns plays with Slavin or Skjei, it is unlikely he'll need any sheltering.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
He doesn't. Burns played I think the 3rd most minutes in the league. San Jose isn't a good defensive team, but you can't pin that on one player. Truth is he's been by far the most relied upon workhorse on a team with a faltering M-E Vlasic and Karlsson, and not much else.

It's just wishful thinking to get another top 4 guy for free. If things get desperate from Klingberg's camp, maybe it's a possibility, but it's extremely unlikely for a lot of reasons.

Regardless of whether Burns plays with Slavin or Skjei, it is unlikely he'll need any sheltering.
The whole three part series is worth watching. But this shows the guys level of commitment to his health and well-being.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Okay. He DOESN’T need to be sheltered after all then. Whew. Because you know the guidance shifts around here as let’s say medical directives from certain government officials once upon a time.

I’m still working to get my head around “What we need are older veterans who won a cup to teach the young guys about being a champion” to “What we need are older veterans who have NEVER won a cup to drag the young guys to a championship” within the space of a year.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I feel like everyone bagging on that Habs fan for that comment is completely missing his point.

His point was "everyone says 'yaaay great move to take a 4th line center who hasn't proven anything for 8 years' and 'boo terrible move to take an old guy who has been a stud his whole career.' That's hfb in a nutshell." His comment was about age bias.

And I think, in that particular analysis, he's exactly right. He says it wasn't actually about KK, and I believe him. I mean, it's obvious why those two examples are front of mind for him, lol. But his point is 100% valid, and I don't think in this case he's ragging on the Canes, or on Canes fans, at all.
It was the "gave 1st and 3rd for world's ugliest 4th liner" bit that did it for me.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I would like to see the Canes sign Bear @ 2 x 3 per year, then ship him and Gardiner to the Ducks along with a mid round pick in a cap dump. This would give us the money to resign Necas @ 2 x 4.5 and leave us with around 3.5 million under the cap to play with

Reactions: Negan4Coach

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Saw that and chuckled, you were right. Still don’t see them “screwing it up.” They’ve got plenty of room and plenty of options. To each his own though.

He’s 22 (I think) and an excellent player. Rocket on the PP. The deal is fine. A hair high … but the cap going up helps that.
I like Norris's game, but I actually think it is also a bit rich....probably by about $1 million or maybe $1.25 million. But with the anticipated cap rise and the fact that it's an 8 year deal, it shouldn't hurt Ottawa at all. Still, giving a 23 year old guy who has two years of performance (51 pts/82 games and 68 pts/82 games) does carry some risk.
I would like to see the Canes sign Bear @ 2 x 3 per year, then ship him and Gardiner to the Ducks along with a mid round pick in a cap dump. This would give us the money to resign Necas @ 2 x 4.5 and leave us with around 3.5 million under the cap to play with
Please repeat after me: Bear at his qualifying offer or above is damn near an untradable asset without adding a sweetener. Also, Necas on a 2 year bridge isn't worth anything in the $4 million range.

I want to keep Necas if possible. But if we do, I'd try either a 1 year deal or a 3 year deal if possible. If it's a year it should be like $2.75 million. If it's a 3 year, then maybe something like $3.5 million per year.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
WTF why would you sign him for that? He is worth 1.5 maybe. But not here. Hell at this point just waive his ass or trade him for future considerations. Let someone else deal with his bullshit. You'd think you could get something for an RHD, but I'd guess no one wants the arbitration baggage. The dude isn't even worth his QO, and the arbitration just makes it worse.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
We need to find a way to get Kessel on the cheap to continue on the theme of old men.

I wonder if the borg is going to try something a bit crazy like trade Pesce for a NHL ready younger Peesh on league minimum then use that moneys to sign Klingberger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad