FA Cup 2022

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
2h0ytc5j4iz81.jpg

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They beat Man City to reach the final. How is that lucky?
They will maybe be the only non premier league winner to finish runner-up to the premier league with 90pts+

How is that f***ing lucky!?

PKs are a coin flip. I agree but winning it all to the final is not luck.
I take it that reading comprehension is not your strong suit but I was literally disagreeing with the guy insinuating that Liverpool “win because they get lucky” (paraphrase).

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I take it that reading comprehension is not your strong suit but I was literally disagreeing with the guy insinuating that Liverpool “win because they get lucky” (paraphrase).
It was not at you.. it was aimed at @Seph

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah the get lucky thing is just jealousy. Let’s be honest almost any team could have done what Liverpool do in the transfer market. That isn’t luck that’s just doing what fans say they should do. They do it and win but some of these players were available a long time before Liverpool signed them. Every team can’t do what they do coaching wise but honestly other than Tsimikas and Robertson they aren’t exactly breaking the mold signings wise. It’s just that teams think for reasons not to sign someone.

We had this discussion three years ago when United signed Maguire over Konate. I said how can you watch the two and not see the potential difference in quality. I was reading the old discussion earlier for a laugh. Instead Konate tries to play through an injury twice and gets called injury prone so teams don’t sign him, but Liverpool think the claim of him being injury prone is bullshit and sign him anyway. The reality is that everyone they signed could have been signed by any top team. Liverpool have done great to sign them. And some keep saying our team is getting old but when you sign players like Konate and Diaz I tend to think maybe they’ll replace everyone really well over time.

Other teams are run less competently, that’s not our problem. And now that Liverpool are at the top everyone will pick to sign there. Chelsea and City get who they want too but potentially other than Tchouameni we rarely have the same targets.

Reactions: Chimaera

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also should be mentioned that if Alisson celebrated after the first save on Mount that the ball would have went in and counted. I know sometimes he makes bad passes that don’t turn into goals but man I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

Reactions: Savant and Chimaera

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also should be mentioned that if Alisson celebrated after the first save on Mount that the ball would have went in and counted. I know sometimes he makes bad passes that don’t turn into goals but man I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.
Fun Fact:

Alisson, Kelleher AND Adrian have all won trophy Winning PK shootouts against Chelsea

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Konate had a great game overall btw. I would definitely pick him for the CL final. He's reaching his potential.
He does what he did today to Ziyech vs Real Madrid in the final and you're getting a penalty against every time.

Matip's better anyway.

Last edited:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
He does what he did today to Ziyech vs Real Madrid in the final and you're getting a penalty against every time.

Matip's better anyway.
Yeah, heart was in my mouth for that one.

Re LFC transfer business: to me Konate is a good embodiment of it. Everyone is fighting/drooling over Upamecano. What do Liverpool do? Swoop in and sign his partner.

Konate is clearly being groomed to be a first-choice CB but yea, van Dijk + Matip has been the first choice pair in big games for like four years now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, heart was in my mouth for that one.

Re LFC transfer business: to me Konate is a good embodiment of it. Everyone is fighting/drooling over Upamecano. What do Liverpool do? Swoop in and sign his partner.

Konate is clearly being groomed to be a first-choice CB but yea, van Dijk + Matip has been the first choice pair in big games for like four years now.
Konate is better than Upamecano too. Konate’s only problem was his injuries. Luckily they haven’t rested their ugly head yet this season

If Konate starts in Paris, that will be Virgil’s third different CB partner in a CL final. And Gomez (who is not one of the three) was his primary partner during the PL title winning 19-20 season

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Konate is better than Upamecano too. Konate’s only problem was his injuries. Luckily they haven’t rested their ugly head yet this season

It was one hip injury as I said before. They told him he didn't need surgery, told him to rehab it for a long time. Then they sent him back out there and he got hurt worse because he needed surgery all along. Then he had surgery. All RBL medical staff incompetence on that one, nothing to see there.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Very interesting thread here on the small margins making a difference.

Shows an example why Klopp is at the top of his profession.

Reactions: Chimaera

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Very interesting thread here on the small margins making a difference.

Shows an example why Klopp is at the top of his profession.

This seems like someone desperate to read something into a pen shootout where it went to 7 shooters. It wasn't like it was 4-1 where Chelsea looked outclassed in the pens. It was as even as it can be and took 7/10 outfield players shooting to make a difference.

Also the last shootout between these two teams, which was also a cup final, went to the keepers. Clearly Klopp's elite strats and positive energy don't make *that* big of a difference.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

This on the other hand is a lot more interesting. We love it from our perspectives but it's great to see it from theirs too. Managers always talk about the scenarios in which they'd retire, but you watch videos like these and see that there is no off switch, there is no scenario in which they would leave the game of their own volition. It's why you see guys who fail over and over again keep trying to make it work somewhere. It's why you see guys like Ranieri try to manage forever. How could you ever leave something like this?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This seems like someone desperate to read something into a pen shootout where it went to 7 shooters. It wasn't like it was 4-1 where Chelsea looked outclassed in the pens. It was as even as it can be and took 7/10 outfield players shooting to make a difference.

Also the last shootout between these two teams, which was also a cup final, went to the keepers. Clearly Klopp's elite strats and positive energy don't make *that* big of a difference.
I’d say there is a very big difference between winning and losing. Mane got saved by his international team mate, who knew where he was going. The preparations and energy were obviously different on both teams. Tuchel didn’t exactly do well on the last time these teams were in a shootout together either; when he subbed Kepa on for Mendy. There are definitely differences here; albeit if there are very fine margins.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’d say there is a very big difference between winning and losing. Mane got saved by his international team mate, who knew where he was going. The preparations and energy were obviously different on both teams. Tuchel didn’t exactly do well on the last time these teams were in a shootout together either; when he subbed Kepa on for Mendy. There are definitely differences here; albeit if there are very fine margins.

Prior to these two cup finals Tuchel was 3-0 in shootouts with Chelsea, then he lost an 11 shooter shootout and a 7 shooter shootout, seems pretty good to me.

Prior to this season, Klopp and his elite mental games and earned Liverpool the same success rate as flipping a coin, including losing 4 of the last 6.

If Mendy gets an inch further on a couple balls he got a fingertip to and Liverpool loses the shootout 4-2, is Klopp still an elite mental game genius?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Prior to these two cup finals Tuchel was 3-0 in shootouts with Chelsea, then he lost an 11 shooter shootout and a 7 shooter shootout, seems pretty good to me.

Prior to this season, Klopp and his elite mental games and earned Liverpool the same success rate as flipping a coin, including losing 4 of the last 6.

If Mendy gets an inch further on a couple balls he got a fingertip to and Liverpool loses the shootout 4-2, is Klopp still an elite mental game genius?
I know you haven’t had a good manager since Ferguson so it might be difficult to recognize one.

Liverpool as a whole have always concerned themselves with fine margins. They hired a firm to help them with their mental preparation, including set pieces and yes, penalties.

Everyone said Liverpool was silly to hire a throw in coach too but again small margins and that has worked out positively for the club. If you want to talk about what might have happened you can speculate if it makes you feel better. But the fact is Mendy did not get finger tips. And LFC succeeded because of its preparation. Klopp is a part of that preparation

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Have to be good to get lucky repeatedly
My problem with LFC isn't them winning, but it's just that they got good overnight. Look at the Lightning for example, they were a beast club that had some ebbs and flows where they suffered great disappoint against the Blue Jackets. However, they learned from that and became BTB Cup Champions. LFC had Rogers and the pitch slip, but then got absurd to the point that nothing bad happens to them (not even losing on penalties which is more random than actual skill).

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
they lost van dijk last year and won f*** all because of it. they built well for years. they’ve been at the top of the pyramid with city for four years with one year washed out from injury.

idk, i don’t rly buy this all luck thing for eight years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad