F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Back in Minor Atom my kid was the last cut on a very talented AAA team that this guy made. It bothered me at the time that him playing up a year was the difference between my kid playing AAA or not (especially considering him and my kid were born about a month apart). It actually feels better knowing he's a special player, good for him.

Interesting. So what was he like at that age? .. 8rs old? I’d imagine at minor atom- where that extra year makes a massive difference- he wasn’t quite as dominant as he has become in bantam

Reactions: Newfoundland

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Interesting. So what was he like at that age? .. 8rs old? I’d imagine at minor atom- where that extra year makes a massive difference- he wasn’t quite as dominant as he has become in bantam
Actually, in minor atom it doesn't make that much of a difference, especially as a january-born player. Where the age really starts making a difference is between the ages 12 and 15, when you're behind others in puberty development.

Still, an early January birth day... for all intents and purposes is a late December birth day of the latter year, physically.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Now that I think about it, I think it was minor peewee. 10 years old I think. To be honest, I saw a few of their games and I don't recall him being a standout, there were at least two forwards ahead of him at the time. Getting out of Burlington probably helped his development immensely.

By the way, there was at least one person that anonymously mocked his father online for years because he let it slip he hoped one day for his son to get this exceptional status. I wonder who's laughing now.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I've been trying to post a link I've found from December 2011 about the Golden Horseshoe tournament that Wright played in as a 7 year old. I cant figure out to link it from my phone but I know some of you would find it interesting to read. Maybe someone could link it on this thread. Just Google Shane Wright Golden horseshoe tournament and it will pop right up.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So is Shane Wright considered more talented than Lafreniere considering Lafreniere wasn't exceptional?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd like to see him play with the Barrie Colts. Flint is just not the ideal place, but Kingston wouldn't be bad, nor would Erie, but the Colts have such an amazing system right now and would be such a good fit for them.

The way he battles for the puck and makes the play happen, it's like he's clearing the road and making way for all the traffic to get through efficiently.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
So is Shane Wright considered more talented than Lafreniere considering Lafreniere wasn't exceptional?

Shane Wright is an early Jan 04’ birthday making him just 5 days too young to be eligible for the draft without the ES

Alexis Lafreniere is an Oct 01’ birthdate making him over 10 months younger than even the youngest kid eligible for the 2016 Q draft...

An exception of 5 days is a lot less of an exception than 300+...as it is, Lafreniere was one of the youngest in the Q in 17-18’

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Shane Wright is an early Jan 04’ birthday making him just 5 days too young to be eligible for the draft without the ES

Alexis Lafreniere is an Oct 01’ birthdate making him over 10 months younger than even the youngest kid eligible for the 2016 Q draft...

An exception of 5 days is a lot less of an exception than 300+...as it is, Lafreniere was one of the youngest in the Q in 17-18’
Well, I get that. But gaining the exceptional status isn't solely based on the age, right? I'm genuinely curious about where Shane Wright stands. I get he's a #1OA level talent, just wondering about the specifics.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Just about every scouting publication has him as the best player coming out of the GTHL since McDavid. They are dropping generational (and true generational - not an Eichel or a Hughes) when discussing him but in my opinion it is much to early to say he will be the next one. I've never seen him but have read a lot about him and the one thing that everyone is saying is truly exceptional about him is his IQ and to me that is the most important aspect of whether or not a player will be head and shoulders above his comparable class.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just about every scouting publication has him as the best player coming out of the GTHL since McDavid. They are dropping generational (and true generational - not an Eichel or a Hughes) when discussing him but in my opinion it is much to early to say he will be the next one. I've never seen him but have read a lot about him and the one thing that everyone is saying is truly exceptional about him is his IQ and to me that is the most important aspect of whether or not a player will be head and shoulders above his comparable class.
People I've talked to who work and scout in the GTHL don't think he's better than Stamkos or JT at the same age, neither of those guys were generational. I don't think he's generational. He's borderline exceptional in that he's good enough to go 10A like Ekblad was. Also, the very highly hyped guys out of the GTHL recently have been Hughes and Chychrun, and Byfield was YSE (in the GTA but played a different division).

He's a great prospect and has the potential to be the top pick in 2022. But, I wouldn't start throwing around the term generational yet. Remember, guys like John McFarland were supposed to be the best prospect since Stamkos and Tavares.

JT was the first to get it after the rules that permitted Spezza and Fata to play in the OHL at 15. He was also a late birthday. I don't think that made him more exceptional than McDavid who was born in January. Some guys mature at a younger age, McDavid was much frailer/less developed physically at 15 and 8 months, than JT was at 14 and 11 months, which is part of the reason JT put up such historic numbers as a 16 year old.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
A goal and 2 assists to capture the OHL Cup. He looked every bit the exceptional player. Not Connor McDavid exceptional, but deserving of the distinction. looking forward to seeing him in Kingston in August.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Quinton Byfield (2018 1st overall pick) vs Shane Wright, which projects as better?
- many scouts have said that Quinton Byfield so far been the most dominant rookie (everything considered) this season in the OHL.
even after Perfetti did score 74 points to Byfield's 61 in the regular season.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Quinton Byfield (2018 1st overall pick) vs Shane Wright, which projects as better?
- many scouts have said that Quinton Byfield so far been the most dominant rookie (everything considered) this season in the OHL.
even after Perfetti did score 74 points to Byfield's 61 in the regular season.

for now I'll give it to Wright. He wasn't a 6'3 2010+lb playing in his age group but a less imposing physical stature playing a year up. granted he's a January birthday which made it a little easier.

hopefully we'll get to see them on some u17 u18 Team Canada in the near future. I'd keep Byfield at center for now and Wright on his right side.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
for now I'll give it to Wright. He wasn't a 6'3 2010+lb playing in his age group but a less imposing physical stature playing a year up. granted he's a January birthday which made it a little easier.

hopefully we'll get to see them on some u17 u18 Team Canada in the near future. I'd keep Byfield at center for now and Wright on his right side.
Kid’s a monster :oops:

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario

He must cover a lot of ice :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad