F Riley Heidt - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2023, 64th, MIN)

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Lot of PP points. And gravy from the lessor teams. PG PP numbers have continued to be excellent this year. I wonder if his rating got discounted from that. Yes from the mid to lower first round to basically third round is a big drop.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It was really weird to me that he was picked in the third round. I thought for a while after that what I could’ve missed in terms of any glaring deficiencies in his game because I ranked him #15 overall.

I’m glad he’s going on to play so well this year. I still can’t believe he was picked so late, but then again I had Andrew Cristall at #9 and he didn’t go until #40.
Cristall is another one... both players are following up last year's excellent performance with very strong starts to the 23-24 season.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I don't really believe in this "interview" explanation. If that was the case, he wouldn't be drafted at all.

Scouts miss all the time. Brayden Point was widely regarded as a 1st round talent and he went in the 3rd. And funny enough the biggest knock was his skating.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s going to have the same issues most players of his protoype have. He’s skilled enough and a smart enough player to be a top-6 NHL player. If the Skating and Strength doesn’t improve rather significantly, he probably doesn’t have a very long career. Players like him don’t do very well if they’re just average skaters. The bet is that he develops into a good skater in the next couple of seasons. I guess not a lot of teams we’re willing to make that bet, at least not in the first 2 rounds.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Cristall is another one... both players are following up last year's excellent performance with very strong starts to the 23-24 season.
Which is neither surprising nor all that instructive. Their ability to produce in juniors isn’t in question. It’s whether they can do it at nhl. If either of these guys can morph into Jaden Schwartz then y’all can crow, but if they are next Ty rattle..

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Which is neither surprising nor all that instructive. Their ability to produce in juniors isn’t in question. It’s whether they can do it at nhl. If either of these guys can morph into Jaden Schwartz then y’all can crow, but if they are next Ty rattle..
I'd still rather take that chance than have a Brady Cleveland. My team's GM, however, feels otherwise.

Reactions: Reddwit

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
And you think your comment is?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Lot of PP points. And gravy from the lessor teams. PG PP numbers have continued to be excellent this year. I wonder if his rating got discounted from that. Yes from the mid to lower first round to basically third round is a big drop.
He was awful at the U18s while being gifted a top role instantly.

Also, just from scout quotes in the black book, they really dislike his compete, perimeter player, and compare him to drouin. Someone who will look way better in junior than the NHL.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Don’t think his skill will ever be in question. Is the rest of his game good enough for the NHL? Time will tell, but I think the answer will be yes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don’t think his skill will ever be in question. Is the rest of his game good enough for the NHL? Time will tell, but I think the answer will be yes.
Well, he's scoring at an elite level, which has been on an uninterrupted upward trend since he cam into the WHL 4 years ago. Size isn't an issue at 5'11", 180+(could end up 6', 190+), skating is decent or better, plays with a bit of nastiness... I know some will get on his two way game, but that can be learned.

Reactions: Dominance

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Well, he's scoring at an elite level, which has been on an uninterrupted upward trend since he cam into the WHL 4 years ago. Size isn't an issue at 5'11", 180+(could end up 6', 190+), skating is decent or better, plays with a bit of nastiness... I know some will get on his two way game, but that can be learned.
I think the skating is more of a concern at that size for me, at least last year. Haven’t seen him outside of highlights this year. Maybe it’s improved.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
4 point night, now leads the WHL in scoring, albeit narrowly. Firkus, and his linemate, Funk are just behind him.

Reactions: Bubbles

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Looks like he's training shooting with Tim Turk. If he improves his already good shot and starts shooting more along with his passing and vision qualities, we could see an even more monstrous season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Looks like he's training shooting with Tim Turk. If he improves his already good shot and starts shooting more along with his passing and vision qualities, we could see an even more monstrous season.
During the summer he was quoted as saying he wanted to shoot more, but so far he seems to be in distribution mode. Funk has almost twice as many shots as him, Tescarik(don't know how much he plays with Heidt now)over 50% more.

Reactions: JotAlan

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
During the summer he was quoted as saying he wanted to shoot more, but so far he seems to be in distribution mode. Funk has almost twice as many shots as him, Tescarik(don't know how much he plays with Heidt now)over 50% more.

Where can I see these shooting statistics and statistics like scoring in 5on5?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Canadian WJC team will be loaded in the top 9. They probably invited Yager over Heidt because they think he will be better suited to bottom of the lineup minutes than Heidt.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5