F Riley Heidt - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2023, 64th, MIN)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. This kid is dynamic out there! You’re born with the skill he has. You can always work on the defensive side, but you can’t teach hockey iq and skill.
Maybe, but i would also say that some kids have a strong work ethic early on, while others struggle to ever achieve it. The ability to work hard is a skill in itself, and one that shouldn't be overlooked. It's not as easy as just flicking a switch some day when you are 18-19.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yager has some particular tools that will translate to the NHL pretty seamlessly and it's a lot easier projection, and his upside is every bit, if not higher, than Heidts.

I like Heidt a lot but there's a tier of separation there because of Yager's feet and shooting ability, he added layers to his playmaking game which will serve him well and I think transitioning him back to the wing will unlock more of his offensive potential.

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

Semaj49

Jul 28, 2009
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. This kid is dynamic out there! You’re born with the skill he has. You can always work on the defensive side, but you can’t teach hockey iq and skill.
According to the legend Darryl Belfry (arguably the best skills coach in the world), hockey IQ can be taught as any other skill. He explained it on his book & many podcasts. Also in this old article word for word:

1681134697737.png

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The triangles thing is something that was taken from soccer. Barcelona( and Spain) made it famous years ago. Sounds like that coach simply is parroting their knowledge.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've watched a good amount of Heidt this year, including most of his first round vs TC

He is an absolute wizard. The combination of vision and puck skill is drool worthy. He may be the best passer in the draft, after Bedard. His feet are solid. Not a burner, but he really utilizes his edges and (lack of) size, to be shifty and deceptive

My concern with him is the battle level. He gives up on plays too often and can get easily moved off pucks. He needs to add strength and play with more engagement. This will also improve his defensive game. He knows where he needs to be, supports play well at both ends, but the lack of size and strength is a concern. Especially if he wants to be a C

The Cougars are so much fun to watch. They lose Wheatcroft next year, who has been incredible, but Heidt, Ziemmer and Thornton all back. Those point totals will absolutely pop

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've watched a good amount of Heidt this year, including most of his first round vs TC

He is an absolute wizard. The combination of vision and puck skill is drool worthy. He may be the best passer in the draft, after Bedard. His feet are solid. Not a burner, but he really utilizes his edges and (lack of) size, to be shifty and deceptive

My concern with him is the battle level. He gives up on plays to often and can get easily moved off pucks. He needs to add strength and play with more engagement. This will also improve his defensive game. He knows where he needs to be, supports play well at both ends, but the lack of size strength is a concern. Especially if he wants to be a C

The Cougars are so much fun to watch. They lose Wheatcroft next year, who has been incredible, but Heidt, Ziemmer and Thornton all back. Those point totals will absolutely pop
I love him too. I also have seen him give up on plays, kinda like Cristall too, but Ive seen both absolutely hustle at times, which tells me maybe it's just misreads.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Anybody comment on his poor statistical showing at the U-18's? Statistically he had a worse showing than Cristal who's performance has him dropping in the rankings.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can't believe this guy almost dropped into the 3rd round. Must've been a terrible interview.

Reactions: Dominance

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
late second rounder will be completely accurate description in his first NHL game.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Shocked he went 64th. Pretty easily a 1st rounder to me. And I don't feel he's super boom or bust either. Not big, but not tiny. Has some edge to him. Good skater. Great playmaker. Could easily be a 2nd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad