F Riley Heidt - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2023, 64th, MIN)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
yeah he'll go somewhere in the 3-5 range this upcoming draft and while not quite on Yager's level should be a franchise player for a WHL team. He's slightly smaller than Yager but plays a more physical style and has a similar skill set. Has played mostly wing but wouldn't be surprised if he's moved to center once he's on a different team than Yager

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
What is the projection for Heidt and Yager for the next season with Contacts? 2.0 P / G?

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Numbers aren't everything but somewhere from 1.5-2. Yager might play for Moose Jaws Midget AAA team next year though.

I know they are not. There are many other important factors like defensive play, for example. But I am a lover of statistics rs. Indeed, the dynamic duo will likely split.
We will see how they will evolve by playing separately.

Reactions: Dominance

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
In my very limited looks of Heidt on video, he reminds me of Drouin at that age, so shifty and smooth, quick and assertive - maybe its the similar size, #27 and left-handed shot, oh and 2nd overall pick.

Don't take this as a slight, I mean the Drouin that would become CHL player of the year at 17, not the one that would check out for weeks at a time at the pro level. He had as much if not more natural skill than the other Jonathan - Huberdeau.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was really good tonight in a losing effort. Him and Gronick have good chemistry already and are kind of the leaders already on a young but talented PG squad. His shot is definitely improved from last year and he's pulling off the moves now that he could I saw him do in bantam and midget...which is scary for whl teams.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Was really good tonight in a losing effort. Him and Gronick have good chemistry already and are kind of the leaders already on a young but talented PG squad. His shot is definitely improved from last year and he's pulling off the moves now that he could I saw him do in bantam and midget...which is scary for whl teams.

He is also really strong in the FO circle given his age and indeed he looks to be very good so far.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
I feel this kid has been getting a lot less hype than he deserves. Leads ppg for U17 boys on whl with 1.5ppg (tied with Zach Benson, but Benson plays on a stacked team). He's 2-7-9 in 6 games with 77/126 in faceoffs. He's been insane so far!

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Yeah he's already the best player on the team and drives play consistently. Should be considered a top 10 guy for 23, could end up top 5 maybe but strong class.

Based on this season start, in what order do you rank Bedard, Heidt, Yager, Benson, Ritchie, Lardis, Barlow, Mignosa, Soto and Peddle (In my opinion the best canadian strikers 05 from chl so far)?

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Based on this season start, in what order do you rank Bedard, Heidt, Yager, Benson, Ritchie, Lardis, Barlow, Mignosa, Soto and Peddle (In my opinion the best canadian strikers 05 from chl so far)?
Have only had time to watch the WHL guys so far so Bedard, Yager, Heidt, Benson. I'd have late bday Danielson ahead of Benson. All have top 10 potential for 23 but kinda doubtful all will. Lind, Oremba, Cristall and late bday Levis have 1st potential, we'll see how they progress.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Got to see him play live tonight , my first in person game since Covid . I am by no means a scout or follow prospects like some do on this board, but the Cougars had him out a ton including on the penalty kill. I saw him make one bad turnover but other than that what stood out to me is how much poise he has with the puck.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Got to see him play live tonight , my first in person game since Covid . I am by no means a scout or follow prospects like some do on this board, but the Cougars had him out a ton including on the penalty kill. I saw him make one bad turnover but other than that what stood out to me is how much poise he has with the puck.
I agree, I watch PG games mainly because of Kmec but Heidt is really confident with the puck for such a young player. Good 2 way play as well, responsible on the back check. PG could have a real impressive team next year.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Should be getting a lot more attention than he has been but in the shadows of Bedard and also Yager just from the dub...plus PG is generally forgotten about. Him and Ziemmer being close to PPG is very impressive given the Cougars are a fairly low scoring team and so young. Hopefully PG can finally get over the hump next year and the youth keeps progressing. I know the future always seems bright but the 23 WHL class is looking so unreal atm

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Should be getting a lot more attention than he has been but in the shadows of Bedard and also Yager just from the dub...plus PG is generally forgotten about. Him and Ziemmer being close to PPG is very impressive given the Cougars are a fairly low scoring team and so young. Hopefully PG can finally get over the hump next year and the youth keeps progressing. I know the future always seems bright but the 23 WHL class is looking so unreal atm

The 23 draft from the WHL is simply the best top end that i have ever seen and it will likely produce that way with impact NHLers.

Any team getting 2 top 15 picks in the 23 draft will turn their organization around with the right picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad