F Pierre-Luc Dubois - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I watch a lot of Eagles games, and I agree with Benn as the best comparable. Good all around player with explosive flashes of offence. Not as physical as Benn.

Can I ask how you'd place his skating? Is it a strength of his game? A weakness? Somewhere in between?

Trying to familiarize myself more with this player as he seems to be in the range where the Canucks are likely to finish the year.

Dec 3, 2012
Can I ask how you'd place his skating? Is it a strength of his game? A weakness? Somewhere in between?

Trying to familiarize myself more with this player as he seems to be in the range where the Canucks are likely to finish the year.

Don't think Skating is a weakness in his game. In fact, he skates pretty well. It's just that all aspects of his game are Excellent (like 4 on 5) and his skating his just above average (like 3,5 on 5), but he's a good skater and it will certainly not hold him down at all.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Could his draft year trajectory be like that of Tyler Seguin or Jonathan Drouin? Both weren't too well known at the beginning of the season but shot up to top 3 around this time of year, especially after the WJC camp rosters were announced and their names showed up.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
He's like 6'3 version of Bo Horvat.

Everything about him is solid and he has good intensity.

I don't think he has the scoring touch of Benn. With that said, Benn had a much weaker 2-way game at the same age.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's like 6'3 version of Bo Horvat.

Everything about him is solid and he has good intensity.

I don't think he has the scoring touch of Benn. With that said, Benn had a much weaker 2-way game at the same age.

Only thing you could possibly think is close to Horvat is his defensive game because other than that it's a horrible example. He is better in every other area and has a great scoring touch. Benn is the perfect example for Dubois playing style and even upside. His skating is also one of the best in this draft and he's the most complete forward in this draft when you factor in everything. He's already better than Svechnikov and is a June birthday so he's one of the youngest players in the draft as well.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Could his draft year trajectory be like that of Tyler Seguin or Jonathan Drouin? Both weren't too well known at the beginning of the season but shot up to top 3 around this time of year, especially after the WJC camp rosters were announced and their names showed up.

He clearly has more offensive upside than a Bo Horvat (for example), but he is not as dynamic a prospect as Seguin and Drouin.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Only thing you could possibly think is close to Horvat is his defensive game because other than that it's a horrible example. He is better in every other area and has a great scoring touch. Benn is the perfect example for Dubois playing style and even upside. His skating is also one of the best in this draft and he's the most complete forward in this draft when you factor in everything. He's already better than Svechnikov and is a June birthday so he's one of the youngest players in the draft as well.

I used Horvat as a compliment to his all around game. If Horvat was 6'3 not 6'0 he would be able to generate more speed and momentum as well.

The way Dubois skates and bulls his way around the ice resembles Horvat. Dubois is as good a passer as a scorer.

Jamie Benn always had this upright skating style to him. And he is much more of a sniper than all around offensive player while playing junior.

I don't see Dubois with Benn's scoring touch. Benn was much more lethal in the slot.

Benn was nowhere close to a 2 way forward in his junior days, Dubois seems way more balanced.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Definitely more of a strength than a weakness, but he could still improve in that area. Once again kind of like Benn. Relies more on positioning/size than elite level skating.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Definitely more of a strength than a weakness, but he could still improve in that area. Once again kind of like Benn. Relies more on positioning/size than elite level skating.

Don't think Skating is a weakness in his game. In fact, he skates pretty well. It's just that all aspects of his game are Excellent (like 4 on 5) and his skating his just above average (like 3,5 on 5), but he's a good skater and it will certainly not hold him down at all.

Thanks both. Sounds like a very well rounded player in terms of his size, skating, and offensive abilities. He also has the production to back up his high ranking. Definitely will try to catch a few of his games at some point in the season and see this kid for myself. Really like what I'm reading and hearing so far though.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm kind of thinking he is a better skating Couturier. I would not be surprised if he ended up making this Team Canada team. He has such size and an advanced understanding of how to play an all-around game at a young age. First out on penalty kill and power play, and versatile as well, have seen him both at wing and centre thus far.Does not have that nasty, physical element or maybe not that extremely dynamic offensive ability but he uses his long stick very well and uses his size to win those subtle 50-50 battles along the boards and makes plays all over the ice with some slick skill. The Benn comparison is a bit much at this point.

I still think that McLeod's speed and tenacity should put him in front for now but there is a category of 2-way centres with Benson, Dubois and a darkhorse like Trent Frederic that will compete to get picked after him from 10-15 right now.

Last edited:

Dec 3, 2012
I'm kind of thinking he is a better skating Couturier.

You're not wrong at all on that one. I played with Dubois when we were Bantam and Midget, and he was trying to mold his game like Couturier's. In fact, PL's father and Couturier's father are best friends, so you can see the link between the two. Couturier and Mike Richards were the two players he tried to imitate. So I think that today he is focusing only on Couturier....
And maybe more.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Im struggling to see why he isnt a top five pick. Can anyone explain?

He has to beat out Matthews (1st overall consensus), Chychrun (top d-man in the draft), Laine & Puljujarvi (performing well in men's league), and Tkachuk (great OHL season).

And that is just five players. Throw in names like Fabbro & Jost (great BCHL seasons), Nylander, Mcleod, and Bellows and you can see why Dubois is not a sure-fire top five pick. Doesn't mean he won't be, this draft just have alot of talent in the top 10.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
He has to beat out Matthews (1st overall consensus), Chychrun (top d-man in the draft), Laine & Puljujarvi (performing well in men's league), and Tkachuk (great OHL season).

And that is just five players. Throw in names like Fabbro & Jost (great BCHL seasons), Nylander, Mcleod, and Bellows and you can see why Dubois is not a sure-fire top five pick. Doesn't mean he won't be, this draft just have alot of talent in the top 10.

While yes that is true, but...

Matthews - Okay, he is the clear 1st overall.
The Finns - We need the WJC to see if their struggles producing are due to competition level or ceiling.
Chychrun - His plateauing this year has him resembling Bouwmeester and Larsson, and the same sort of upside as a good, but not special defenseman.
Tkachuk - Has never been anything but the 3rd wheel on superb lines. What is his real upside? He's obviously great at complimenting talent. Can he lead a line?
BCJHLers - Super difficult to get a read on players playing against inferior competition.
Nylander - Slightly undersized and one dimensional.
McLeod - omplete game, but his offence may indicate a low ceiling.
Bellows - I know vbery littel but rarely see him in the top 10.

Where as:
Dubois - Well rounded player with no clear flaws. Leads his team offensively, while being top 10 in a CHL league in his draft year. (Also top 10 in +/-, again as his teams leader.)

Aside from Matthews, and before we see the Finns at the WJC, no one has Dubois' floor and ceiling combination.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

The Finns - We need the WJC to see if their struggles producing are due to competition level or ceiling.
Chychrun - His plateauing this year has him resembling Bouwmeester and Larsson, and the same sort of upside as a good, but not special defenseman.
Tkachuk - Has never been anything but the 3rd wheel on superb lines. What is his real upside? He's obviously great at complimenting talent. Can he lead a line?
BCJHLers - Super difficult to get a read on players playing against inferior competition.

Where as:
Dubois - Well rounded player with no clear flaws. Leads his team offensively, while being top 10 in a CHL league in his draft year. (Also top 10 in +/-, again as his teams leader.)

Aside from Matthews, and before we see the Finns at the WJC, no one has Dubois' floor and ceiling combination.

If you compile the rankings I think the top 5 are still safe bets - but you're right, that gap between 5 & the rest is getting smaller. I'd have Gauthier/PLD/McLeod as most likely currently to go after them. The 3 of them are all big 2 way players with grit and I can't see how they'd drop out of the top 10.
WJC will be interesting for sure.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Where as:

So much wrong here, Laine is producing, Tkachuk was the 2nd best player on his USNDP line, McLeod is producing fairly well for a 17 year old with a complete game, Nylander is 6 feet and atleast 175 so I wouldn't call him undersized for a 17 year old skilled winger and Chychruns had a slow start offensively but is still insanely talented who will end up better offensively than the guys you mentioned.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's one of the youngest players in the draft so I didn't expect him to make it as Canada has a big emphasis on age and not best player. Gauthier is one of the oldest though so he might make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad