F Pierre-Luc Dubois - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I'd say in a weak draft rather than an "average" one. The only recent drafts (past 5-6 years) I can think of where these two would compare as prospects to the top two would be 2012 and possibly 2014 (and no, Ekblad wasn't considered franchise calibre going into the draft before anyone gets on my case about him).

Dubois and Tkachuks draft years compare very well to Seguin and Halls in 2010.
They're both also looking just as good, if not better than nuge, landeskog, and huberdeau in 2011
We don't even need to talk about 2012.
2013 was a crazy good draft year.
You already mentioned 2014
And 2015 had McDavid and Eichel.

So I think Dubois and Tkachuk could have gone 1st or 2nd in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The only 2 years where they wouldn't be in the discussion is a year that has been one of the deepest drafts in the past decade and a year with two generational talents.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
They're both also looking just as good, if not better than nuge, landeskog, and huberdeau in 2011

So I think Dubois and Tkachuk could have gone 1st or 2nd in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The only 2 years where they wouldn't be in the discussion is a year that has been one of the deepest drafts in the past decade and a year with two generational talents.

Who's the second? You better run for cover for saying that. Posters will be out to get you lol.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I actually said this before too. Just going from point totals alone these guys compare favourably to all years to mentioned. Now add in the fact Dubios is a2 way PWF and center a Tkachuk a PWF and id say theyd go first in 2011, 2012 (easily), 2014. Hell you could argue theyd create a big 4 in 2010.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Maybe 2012, I don't see them cracking top 5 in 2015 though, and I still think Bennett and Reinhart are viewed as better in 2014. Realize Ehlers outscored Dubois in his draft year and slipped to 9th, and Tkachuk's numbers while better than Bennett or Dal Colle are still 3rd on his team while the other guys led their teams in scoring. Also factor in both Bennett and Dal Colle were early-birthdays and Tkachuk is a late Birthday and there really isn't much of a difference. Reinhart and Draisaitl also scored at similar rates to Tkachuk in what many believe is a tougher league to score in, while also being late-borns, but led there teams in points and played a more valued position (with better all around games).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
of course you don't, that would put them ahead of your midget. :laugh:
It would also put them ahead of Hanifin and Strome who they aren't better than. They don't have better numbers than Strome, which appears to be one of the pillars of the argument.

Edit: And I don't think 5'11 counts as a midget.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id go like this for past top forwards picked. Going on pre draft only

Marner/Strome
Dubios/Tkachuk/Reinhart/Drasaitl
Bennett/RNH
Galchenyuk (only due to injury)/Yak/Landeskog/Huberdeau

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Draisaitl >>>> Marner .

At draft you cant really ignore what Marner was doing. Although he was on a stacked line. Drasaitl was putting up great points by himself, but still had severe skating issues. He overcame them and exploded in NHL. But at draft id have both Strome and Marner over him

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'm sorry but Marner is undoubtedly a better prospect.

Better than Tkachuk? Maybe, maybe not. Better than Dubois? There should be a serious debate around that. The thing about Dubois is that pretty much all his points are primary points, he has 83 primary points compared for 90 for Marner. Marner is a year older and plays with elite linemates like Tkachuk and Dvorak whereas Dubios basically carries his line on his back. With all that, the difference between Marner and Dubois is a measly 7 primary points. Add to that that Dubois is huge and plays with an edge- I don't think anyone can say Marner is a better prospect at this point. Dubois is a hell of a prospect. It wouldn't surprise me if Dubois became the best player from this draft.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
At draft you cant really ignore what Marner was doing. Although he was on a stacked line. Drasaitl was putting up great points by himself, but still had severe skating issues. He overcame them and exploded in NHL. But at draft id have both Strome and Marner over him

At the time of the draft, you probably are right.
I was going by how I expect it to turn out over the long term.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Better than Tkachuk? Maybe, maybe not. Better than Dubois? There should be a serious debate around that. The thing about Dubois is that pretty much all his points are primary points, he has 83 primary points compared for 90 for Marner. Marner is a year older and plays with elite linemates like Tkachuk and Dvorak whereas Dubios basically carries his line on his back. With all that, the difference between Marner and Dubois is a measly 7 primary points. Add to that that Dubois is huge and plays with an edge- I don't think anyone can say Marner is a better prospect at this point. Dubois is a hell of a prospect. It wouldn't surprise me if Dubois became the best player from this draft.
Lets just ignore the difference in games played........... Or the fact Marner put up as good or better numbers in his draft year. How about playoff points? Marner last year put up 2 ppg in the playoffs playing with two undrafted players, and during the year was at his best with Rupert and Dvorak. Svechnikov also played with Dubois a fair amount, and he is a high quality prospect. The best info I could find, had Marner having 1.54 primary ppg last season, which is a primary point every 5 games, which is a decent margin. Also factor in, many believe scoring in the OHL is tougher or at the very least more transferable to the NHL than the QMJHL is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Come in here to read about PLD. Instead find out its a Marner thread.
Then maybe fans of your team shouldn't be stating he'd got top 5 last year or that he'd go #1 in other drafts. That invites comparison to other players. I stand by the fact I don't think Dubois or Tkachuk go top 5 last year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's a dumb comparison, really. Marner is certainly more skilled than Dubois but Dubois has far more dimensions to his game than does Marner.

Agreed. Two completely different players. Both top 5 picks but play a much different style. More a matter of player preference between the two.
Could see a team going either way if both were in the same draft year.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Agreed. Two completely different players. Both top 5 picks but play a much different style. More a matter of player preference between the two.
Could see a team going either way if both were in the same draft year.

There's always an outlier team (Bruins picking 3 guys ahead of Connor last year, for example), but in terms of overall consensus, I highly doubt it. TSN/McKenzie mentioned that, in any other draft, the top 3 of Hanifin/Marner/Strome would likely be seen as a good top end. Haven't seen such acclaim for Tkachuk or Dubois. Felt the same way before the lottery, when the Leafs had a 50% shot at those two

I like PLD, but he would not have gone top 5 last year.

Agreed, would've fallen in the Provorov/Zacha/Werenski/Rantanen group behind the consensus top 5.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There's always an outlier team (Bruins picking 3 guys ahead of Connor last year, for example), but in terms of overall consensus, I highly doubt it. TSN/McKenzie mentioned that, in any other draft, the top 3 of Hanifin/Marner/Strome would likely be seen as a good top end. Haven't seen such acclaim for Tkachuk or Dubois. Felt the same way before the lottery, when the Leafs had a 50% shot at those two

Fair enough. I disagree with that. I'd have Puj above those three and Dubois in with those three. Watching Tkachuk in the playoffs I'd have him about at the same level as well. But I don't really want to derail the thread anymore and I doubt that Dubois will be there when we pick anyways.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I like PLD, but he would not have gone top 5 last year.

it's ok, all that it matters is, he would have competed for the number 1 spot in 2006 ,2011, 2012, 2014. would have been a top 3 pick in years like 2010 and in 2007.

thats 4 years out of the last 10, which is 40 %, and a top 3 pick in 2010 and 2007, thats like a top 3 pick on an average draft year, wooot woot. him and Tkachuk.

We got a prospect here for once, wooooooo.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
it's ok, all that it matters is, he would have competed for the number 1 spot in 2006 ,2011, 2012, 2014. would have been a top 3 pick in years like 2010 and in 2007.

thats 4 years out of the last 10, which is 40 %, and a top 3 pick in 2010 and 2007, thats like a top 3 pick on an average draft year, wooot woot. him and Tkachuk.

We got a prospect here for once, wooooooo.

Statistics are supposed to be based on facts, not opinions. Since he wasnt drafted in the above years you can't say with any degree of certainty he'd compete for the number 1 spot, let calculate some made up percentage based entirely on conjecture.

I understand as a fellow Canucks fan your excited to have a top 5 pick, but lets not go and hype up a prospect that we haven't even picked yet as a potential first overall, realistically dubois would probably compete for the 4-7 spot in most years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad