Prospect Info: (F) Oliver Moore - 2023 NHL Draft, 19th Overall

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I think in an ideal world we pick top5 with our pick and target a franchise dman (Leshunov?) then round out our top six forwards with Tampas pick around 11-15
the answer becomes easier if they can land a big fish in UFA like Drai, Elias, Marner etc

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I watched most of the UMinn/UND game tonight. Both Moore and Rinzel played well.

Moore's skating is something. Yeah he has incredible speed but what he also has is the edgework and that jump change of direction similar to what MacKinnon does. Very impressive and very fun to watch. AND - he plays a 200' game at that high speed. It's going to be a fun year to watch UMinn hockey.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Nice article this morning from Powers on Oliver Moore. The kid really has looked impressive in college so far. His speed is just on another level there. Powers also noted Phillips has been playing the right side a bit in Rockford.

CapitalistInfidel

Jan 7, 2013
I’m able to watch some University of Minnesota games on my live tv app. Oliver Moore looks like a man playing against boys. If anything he’s so much faster and in some cases more talented than everyone else on the ice. It’s as if he’s in the proper place but his teammates are behind and the play breaks down. He’s going to make a terrific pro. I don’t see any reason he won’t be in the opening lineup next year, barring injury of coruse.

Reactions: hawksrule

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I’m able to watch some University of Minnesota games on my live tv app. Oliver Moore looks like a man playing against boys. If anything he’s so much faster and in some cases more talented than everyone else on the ice. It’s as if he’s in the proper place but his teammates are behind and the play breaks down. He’s going to make a terrific pro. I don’t see any reason he won’t be in the opening lineup next year, barring injury of coruse.
Ive watched games too but I wouldnt say Snuggerud and Lamb struggle to keep up with him and I think Moore is probably more than a year away. Id say Snugggerud is the man right now that offense flows through and less so Moore. Moore's physical tools are very impressive though and the way he can start and stop on a dime while maintaining puck possession reminds me of Mackinnon.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ive watched games too but I wouldnt say Snuggerud and Lamb struggle to keep up with him and I think Moore is probably more than a year away. Id say Snugggerud is the man right now that offense flows through and less so Moore. Moore's physical tools are very impressive though and the way he can start and stop on a dime while maintaining puck possession reminds me of Mackinnon.
Minnesota is a pretty great team, top to bottom. Something like 13 draft picks on the roster. Snuggerud looks like a future star. I agree I'm inclined to think Moore should do one more year at Minnesota, but tough to say after only 4 games.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Minnesota(Moore and Rinzel) vs Wisconsin tonight at 8 pm central on the Big Ten Network.
Going to be a very good game. Wisconsin came up to play my school last weekend and they have a very talented and well coached team. It’ll be interesting to see how Moore and Rinzel look playing them

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
At the moment it feels like we messed up picking Nazar because of his skating. Majority of the other forwards like Mcgroarty, Yurov, Snuggerrud, and Lekkerimaki drafted just behind Nazar look like hits.

I hope my concerns about Moore are wrong and that his decision making with the puck improves. I think Davidson is going to continue to pick the best skaters in the upcoming drafts. It really feels like we are going to add Trevor Connelly to the team

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_0866.gif

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I thought Moore and Rinzel were both very noticeable for the Goofers. Wisconsin significantly out played the Goofs for big stretches of the game so not sure it was a great enviornment for them to thrive or have a great deal of success though. Moore just with straight speed creates oppurtunities. I would not get worked up with an 18 year old having moments playing college hockey where a fair portion of teams have 20-24 year olds, especially not the first month of the season.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I mean lets be honest.. Top 15 pick. Missed entire year of development and then a sophomore at Michigan not making that large of an impact is not a great sign. Also he's playing 3rd line minutes and PP2. Sometimes no PP. Not great.

Not too late to turn it around but it hasn't been smooth.

Who knows if he'll ever be the same from the hip injury. Crazy considering he was right there with Cooley as a player in the USHL program. Then he gets injured and Cooley takes off. It's a shame.

From watching both guys in college this year (albeit small sample), Moore definitely looks like the better player... and I was one of the main ones advocating for Nazar over Moore in the polls cuz of his brain and skill. Still early, but so far Moore is the one proving me wrong. The one thing I will say though that Nazar has over Moore is he has been playing center. Moore has been exclusively at LW this season.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Here I thought 3 goals and an apple for 4 points in 6 games was a decent start for a 19 year old playing on a pretty stacked team without premium icetime/linemates to pad his stats. I'll wait another month of the season and see if he can make the WJC team and what he looks like there before completely writing him off.

Regardless of what Nazar becomes, there are going to be misses on picks even first rounders which is why we need to keep stacking them up one on top of the other. A 1st or 2 may miss, but we currently sit with 10 over 5 drafts taken the last 2 and over the next 3 drafts. Hit on 7-8 of those being actual NHL players with hopefully 3 of those being elite top of the lineup all star type guys and find even a handful of guys from the literally dozens of 2nd, 3rds, 4ths, etc we will make over those same drafts and we should be a playoff team for a decade. Still need a lot of luck to become a legit Cup contender, but a way better place than we have been.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I mean lets be honest.. Top 15 pick. Missed entire year of development and then a sophomore at Michigan not making that large of an impact is not a great sign. Also he's playing 3rd line minutes and PP2. Sometimes no PP. Not great.

Not too late to turn it around but it hasn't been smooth.
You are correct

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I think Kapanen's actually a really good comp stylistically. Drafted in a similar range too.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Not picking Gabriel Perrault was moronic, what do you expect from a clueless management tho. People think just because we got Bedard and we will be picking top 3 this year that this team will magically become a contender, we will not, we need many good moves along with it and Davidson doesn’t have the brains to complete the job. Here comes the pathetic laughs at my post by the usual hockey cluelsss self proclaimed experts.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I think it's way too early to make some final judgement on Moore. I don't why people are so fixated on Perrault, I'd rather have Musty than him.

Reactions: Idionym

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Not picking Gabriel Perrault was moronic, what do you expect from a clueless management tho. People think just because we got Bedard and we will be picking top 3 this year that this team will magically become a contender, we will not, we need many good moves along with it and Davidson doesn’t have the brains to complete the job. Here comes the pathetic laughs at my post by the usual hockey cluelsss self proclaimed experts.
Im sure you preferred bowman or keeping Cat and getting 1/2 the return when he did not want to be part of a rebuild. I assume you knew that Hall was going to be injured and not going to put up 50 which is what most people expected and that perry was going to get in trouble and not put up 35 pts. KD has taken a team 2 years ago that was bottom 8 with no first round pick and a talent pool that was also bottom 8 to having 10 first round picks over 4 years, and will have the best talent pool in the league after this next draft. we sit 2-3 right now. you can always pick one guy that was picked after you pick that is having a better season. you need to look at the whole draft and see if they did the draft a year later were they fall. if they are in rougly the same area. IE 18-22 ish then they did fine. of there first picks last year. bedard, kantersov and Moore would go in the same area as last year. Gajan, Misak, lradis would all probably go higher. has every move worked out. NO but he has done about 40 moves between trades, signings and draft and for the most part they have worked out. he at least has a direction and is sticking to it. add as much young talent as possible, put a premuim on skating and compete with the forwards and size and skating on the back end, and do not sign any long term deals while you are in the first few years of a rebuild. of his 40 moves if you only look at the 5 worst then every GM looks bad. if he is bad how bad is the GM in Columbus, or ANA, Col started adding long term deals the last year and are still terrible. Ana is a year or 2 ahead of us on the rebuild and are just as bad. ST louis is in shambles and are still a few years from rock bottom, same with Wild. Calgary, OTT, SJ,

the only hockey move that upsets me and I dont know how involved KD is in line pairings is putting reichel at 2 nd line center for 15 games when we only have 4th line players playing with him and he does not have the build to play center. Bedard is more physically ready Center then reichel and bedard gets manhandled at times.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Moore's production has been less than stellar, but there is an adjustment period. Perrault may not translate to the NHL when its all said and done thus why he dropped to the 20's. Seem like folks here get very fixated very quickly and then trash it up.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Moore's production has been less than stellar, but there is an adjustment period. Perrault may not translate to the NHL when its all said and done thus why he dropped to the 20's. Seem like folks here get very fixated very quickly and then trash it up.
Every player has to adjust to the speed and size of players in the NHL. Perrault, Smith, and Leonard will have an additional adjustment- not playing with the same line mates from 2+ years. Should be interesting to see that play out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad